Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2021 04:31
  • Post subject: ALC #2: STURLE DAGSLAND

Sturle Dagsland by Sturle Dagsland
Available on Spotify, Apple Music, Bandcamp, and I'm sure other platforms.

Sounds Like: Kind of a mix of experimental, somewhat psychedelic rock, Art/Prog Pop, Avant-Folk, and Nordic folk with blasts of Industrial, and some dreamy bits, and other stuff.

Origin: Stavanger, Norway.

Sturles Dagsland is an act composed of 2 brothers, Sturle and Sjur Dagsland. So, when speaking of Sturle Dagsland you could be speaking of just Sturle or Sturle and his brother. Very confusing. Sturle is the one singing and taking center stage as far as I can tell. They've been making music for a solid decade, and have been touring the world playing for many crowds. This is their debut.

Its a strange and off-the-wall kind of album. It mixes many sounds I recognize but as a whole its very unique. The lyrics are Norwegian as far as I know and so I don't understand a lick of it. A lot of the songs are sung with a wild, careening, random mix of barking, soaring spiritual notes, keening, and many other sounds. I wanted to see if I could learn more about some Norwegian folk or traditional singing styles that may have influenced this act, and sure enough I went down a rabbit hole of listening to Joik, which is a traditional singing style from that region. There are parts that definitely sound like that style. Other times it sounds like insane, manic, machinegun, speaking in tongues. Sometimes sounds like Bjork, sometimes like Michael Jackson when MJ used to let out those weird sorta barked sounds, other times when the music gets real pretty and stops being jagged the vocals sound like Jonsi/Sigur Ros, I could go on, but you get the idea.

I was meaning to be more like Gowi and make this a short sweet post, however, I am failing and rambling.

The album is only 29 minutes. The 11 tracks are all over the place as mentioned in the "Sounds Like" section. The production is somewhat noisy and I like how all the sounds blend together. Its a trippy mix of so many styles and, for me anyway, it manages to be completely unique and quite beautiful. Mixes organic/naturalistic sounds and vibes with more machine/industrial sounds.

I personally have listened to this about 7 times through and for some reason I never come through on the other side with a clear idea of what just transpired. It never settles on a sound or mood and the music is a unique enough brew that I tend to want to listen again to make more sense of all the chaos.

Currently this is my #2 album of 2021, but its a close call with the top 3-5 albums.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

Actually, also here is a fun music video for one of the songs.

Link

What are your thoughts & impressions on this here album? Some of you may have more context for the, to my ears, unique style of this artist, and I am interested in learning about more stuff like this.

-Ryan
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2021 05:53
  • Post subject:
It was a little loud, but I liked this a lot <3
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2021 09:20
  • Post subject:
Glad I sampled this trippy thing and yes the Jonsi vibes are what I initially thought too... although way more manic. I kinda thought of Joanna Newsom too.

Will check out more/post more when I do.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2021 15:38
  • Post subject:
What on earth am I listening to. Are the vocals sampled? I swear I'm hearing Michael Jackson and Bjork.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/08/2021 17:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
What on earth am I listening to.

Pretty much my reaction haha. There were some compelling sounds though, and the songs are weirdly memorable. Or at least main melodies are. I liked it, but it's gonna take more than a few listens for my brain to process this lol.

Edit: There's obviously Xiu Xiu influences imo, but overall it doesn't exactly sound like anything I've heard. Especially the vocals.

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 02/08/2021 17:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2021 17:35
  • Post subject:
Dug a handful of the final few tracks for sure. Just such a crazy opening. Weird thing overall, but it def gets some points for being unique.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2021 17:51
  • Post subject:
Um. I'm hungover for obvious reasons. Should I wait until tomorrow to listen to this?! Think Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/08/2021 17:53
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Um. I'm hungover for obvious reasons. Should I wait until tomorrow to listen to this?! Think Laughing

I'd vote yes. Everything aside, it is quite loud.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2021 18:38
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

I started listening this morning and uh... yeah I would wait until the headache disperses haha
Gonna take another shot this evening or tomorrow and will update then.
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/09/2021 01:41
  • Post subject: Re: ALC #2: STURLE DAGSLAND
Mercury wrote:
Sturles Dagsland is an act composed of 2 brothers, Sturle and Sjur Dagsland. So, when speaking of Sturle Dagsland you could be speaking of just Sturle or Sturle and his brother. Very confusing.

hey Ryan if you need me I'll be listening to an album that makes sense

nah this looks tight I'll check it out evening