What are you reading lately?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/20/2023 17:36
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Yeah, since y’all won’t trust trans people about things that will threaten our existence, maybe y’all will trust Keith?

More than a decade ago he introduced me to one of my favorite books, It’s Donkey Time by David Crane. I wanna dive deeper into his body of work, but I think this is a great place to start.

Not true at all. I have been totally open, trusting and respectful and I have not exactly been treated in kind. There was a possibility for supporting dialogue and understanding on this thread but you are not supporting this with these kinds of comments. Maybe you are just being facetious and funny but there is a limit I can take.

I am trying to be understanding. What I don’t trust is misinformation.

If people want to talk about books then great. Guess I will go take a breather.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/21/2023 00:53
  • Post subject:
Although I think throwing in supposed Thatcher love in there was blatantly false and just a bizzare way to try and make her look worse by propping her up to a classic easy target, the discourse whether or not she's a true leftist or a secret alt-right foot soldier is not only just semantics but largely gate-keeping. While that's hard to believe in our complete either/or mindset these days the left and even the right are more scattered in their opinions even around the supposed sacred cows of each side.

Again, though, if you're problem is Rowling take it to her and those that re-inforce her opinions on the trans, don't go after the people who do nothing but play or consume some form of Harry Potter merchandise. That's the worst fallacy to somehow automatically asign transphobia to someone who may have happy nostalgia of the series itself or simply enjoys the overall story and different forms of IP (Hogwarts Legacy notably had no input from Rowling, unlike the movies (where the debate over how evolved her transphobia was at the time), not only the idea behind "There can only be Ethical Consumption!" which is purely a privledged liberal shit-smelling contest but also that those who want to say you're (fill in the blank)-ist or -phobic because you simply consumed an IP I'm sure we can all expose every time of art or media they enjoyed and assign all sorts of bigot labels as well. Again it's completely fine to take a public stand that you personally don't want to support anything Harry Potter-related, and I can definitely see how anything related to Rowling can evoke emotion regardless of how much she's personally behind it at all, but that's not a moral you can impose on others, I mean the attempt to make a list of "outing" streamers who played the game (regardless of whether they actually say anything transphobic or publically support Rowling's views) was accurately pointed out as pure Salem Witch Trials behavior- you can't bullshit a bullshitter and I know that was a Scarlett Letter that was meant to hopefully get users harrased or even doxxed (or just banned off Twitch or other streaming platforms, which often have really sketchy rules of conduct that seem to have a different set of guildlines for different users). Again I'm not saying that all Trans or Queer Ally activists was behind it, rather that small band of Cultural Revolution Wannabe pod people on Twitter who only seem to have interest in collecting scalps than presenting lucid political takes, but still that's a good learn-from-the-mistakes moment of not going after easier targets (who can often be falsely labelled as true bigots) on a much broader fight cultural fight over identity and basic human rights.

I guess all I'm saying is I fucking hate Twitter and I'm glad Musk is slowly burning it to the ground
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/21/2023 02:23
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Although I think throwing in supposed Thatcher love in there was blatantly false

I admitted earlier that it is a rough framing but when you consider her support (aka funneling money into) pro-conversion therapy among other things it isn't as absurd as it may seem.

Quote:
don't go after the people who do nothing but play or consume some form of Harry Potter merchandise.

I don't. I simply stated my feelings on her work and I was told objectively there is no evidence and I felt the need to respond as I did however smugly it may have seemed at the time. I'm very much in the camp of protesting the video game did absolutely nothing but amplify the game itself and often have felt disillusioned from certain wings of the [largely online] trans movement.

The rest of your response is not at all at me and just about twitter and twitch stuff that I find more of a rant than anything else, so I'm going leave my reply here brief.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/21/2023 08:02
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I was told objectively there is no evidence

Not true. I expressed my opinion subjectively, did so consistently, and expressed a desire to learn more.

The only objective comment I made was when I challenged factually incorrect information (i.e. that Rowling said trans people are like death eaters). I was completely entitled to do so.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/21/2023 23:28
  • Post subject:
No again I'm not accusing that the whole Hogwarts: Legacy protest drama was directly the action of anybody here, really the example of a small minority that of course can be completely bullhorned by the media and how that hands a gift to the Daily Wire types who no longer have to state open transphobia and just hide behind the notion that they're protecting free speech and going against "Cancel Culture" (oh dear gawd). Again going after people who play the game is like taking a shot at those buying grain from the bottom of the castle just because trying to take a direct hit at Rowling in her obvious ivory tower (and again unless you convinced her to invest in Bitcoin or Netflix in the late 10's you're not making her any less rich, especially with Boycotts, although that is a more sensibile alternative if it doesn't lead to personal attacks) is largely futile, but obviously that hurts geniune activism beyond just anti-Rowling sentiment. Again I think it's false-equivilancy to automatically assign transphobia to someone who happens to love and happy memories of Harry Potter and consumes the media in some shape or form, again personally there's been a discussion about the so-called anti-semitic charicatutres of the goblins where some jewish individuals have agreed to a certain extent while others finding it a major reach that has largely been imposed by those obviously who just want to stack the deck by making Rowling look like more of a bigot, though again her now public palling-around with alt-right types have kind of made that more contentious... again though that goes along with the question of Rowling's "evolved' views and whether Harry Potter is in itself transphobic.

Yeah again the best form of protest was just to ignore the game, those gushing with nostalgia would've forgot about it in a month and the IP likely would slowly dribble out while Rowling's personal reputation remains tarnished.

So yeah again I was not suggesting anybody here was trying to attack anybody who used Harry Potter and I don't think (despite some questionable wording) that the Blueboy was also being targeted, but again my thoughts on "just x automically means it = Z" politics and don't-attack-the-peasents-when-you-can't-take-down-the-queen are I hope at least somewhat clear despite the rambles.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2023 04:41
  • Post subject:
I've never read a Harry Potter book, or seen a Harry Potter movie.

I've been playing the long game, nerds. Cool
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/22/2023 05:48
  • Post subject:
lmao
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 03/22/2023 06:13
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:
Although I think throwing in supposed Thatcher love in there was blatantly false

I admitted earlier that it is a rough framing but when you consider her support (aka funneling money into) pro-conversion therapy among other things it isn't as absurd as it may seem.

Having grown up in the actual shadow of Thatcherism, and having been made acutely aware of its effects - I’m not sure you have a total grasp on what it actually means or refers to.
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/22/2023 08:42
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
No again I'm not accusing that the whole Hogwarts: Legacy protest drama was directly the action of anybody here, really the example of a small minority that of course can be completely bullhorned by the media and how that hands a gift to the Daily Wire types who no longer have to state open transphobia and just hide behind the notion that they're protecting free speech and going against "Cancel Culture" (oh dear gawd). Again going after people who play the game is like taking a shot at those buying grain from the bottom of the castle just because trying to take a direct hit at Rowling in her obvious ivory tower (and again unless you convinced her to invest in Bitcoin or Netflix in the late 10's you're not making her any less rich, especially with Boycotts, although that is a more sensibile alternative if it doesn't lead to personal attacks) is largely futile, but obviously that hurts geniune activism beyond just anti-Rowling sentiment. Again I think it's false-equivilancy to automatically assign transphobia to someone who happens to love and happy memories of Harry Potter and consumes the media in some shape or form, again personally there's been a discussion about the so-called anti-semitic charicatutres of the goblins where some jewish individuals have agreed to a certain extent while others finding it a major reach that has largely been imposed by those obviously who just want to stack the deck by making Rowling look like more of a bigot, though again her now public palling-around with alt-right types have kind of made that more contentious... again though that goes along with the question of Rowling's "evolved' views and whether Harry Potter is in itself transphobic.

Yeah again the best form of protest was just to ignore the game, those gushing with nostalgia would've forgot about it in a month and the IP likely would slowly dribble out while Rowling's personal reputation remains tarnished.

So yeah again I was not suggesting anybody here was trying to attack anybody who used Harry Potter and I don't think (despite some questionable wording) that the Blueboy was also being targeted, but again my thoughts on "just x automically means it = Z" politics and don't-attack-the-peasents-when-you-can't-take-down-the-queen are I hope at least somewhat clear despite the rambles.

Thanks for this post. I knew about the Hogwarts Legacy controversy, but wasn’t aware of the full online mess, so that is useful context.

Hard to say if I’ve been targeted or not. On this thread I’ve been trolled (by Apperill); laughed at; given misinformation; taken out of context (unfairly); told my behaviour is something it blatantly wasn’t (all by Gowi). Probably more besides. It is not exactly nice.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/22/2023 12:31
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I've never read a Harry Potter book, or seen a Harry Potter movie.

I've been playing the long game, nerds. Cool
"You are boycotting Harry Potter because of JK Rowling's actions. I've been boycotting it because it's a vastly overrated children's book series."

The real hero of this thread Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website