Musical Exploration Through the Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2021 21:51
  • Post subject:
1993:147/250

There was a part of me wondering if there was an early 90's electronic album that would fight to be higher than just an excellent? Well, I just found that contender. An album that becomes a melting pot of early IDM,drum and bass and jungle that for 1993 feels quite ahead by a few years. If you said this was from 1994 to 1996, I would have believed you to an extent. The production gap is quite higher compared to 1993. As a song to song basis, this album can be quite playful, noisy and at a few moments I would even say somewhat transcendent. It was such a joy of a record, I'm checking the second disc as well. So while I'm done with this, I want to venture through its second half to see if that disc is as good as the main album. And if not, this is still quite stellar and a big shock for me with electronic music since I have been meaning to give this act some attention.

Grade:95
Guaranteed on the year end list. Maybe a top 10 album? If not, this needs to be at least top 25.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/11/2021 23:52
  • Post subject:

This is an extra addendum to the last post. So the second disk also slaps as well. Does that mean this album is a 100? Honestly, it probably is. The fact I found over 2 hours of old school IDM to be quite entertaining, enriching, dense and fun to explore through deserves a huge round of applause. This 1993 year list is going to be something. I'll tell you that much. And still have a little over 100 albums to go before I feel content to comb the placement.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 19:36
  • Post subject:
1993:148/250

The reason I chose this album next was the album cover. And man, this album cover just his this middle ground of being awful but also quite compelling. So I'm expecting this being a bad album. And for some, this could theoretically be a "bad" album for some. For me, this was a bigger shock due to how I think this album is quite excellent. To go back into the conversation that I had with kokkinos, that particular mix of jazz and rock that didn't excite me in Morphine's album feels more realized or is more of my speed. As well as there is a lot of instrumentation that really hits me. The different percussion sounds, the jazz chords the rock tones. It ends up making the album quite entertaining. Now, I don't love everything about it. I would argue Bad For The Soul vocally is not that great as well as wanting the sound to go further. Also I would say the way the album ends is a bit much in a vocal sense. Lyrically, I could see it being a little try hard or.... damn I'm trying to explain because I know this would rub people the wrong way, but I just don't have the proper term. But this is one of those records that I know would not get the best reception, but is a entertaining one for me. If you want an album that jams and to vibe to, give this a shot.

Grade:90
Possible to get on the year end list.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 19:42
  • Post subject:
— ‘New York Tendaberry’ by Laura Nyro
— ‘Music of My Mind’ by Stevie Wonder
— ‘Future Days’ by Can
— ‘Magnetic Flip’ by Birdsongs of the Mesozoic
— ‘Silver Apples of the Moon’ by Laika
— ‘Ekstasis’ by Julia Holter

So this is a list of records that mianfei gave me on my greatest list. And I feel like this would be the place to go over these albums. Now when I'm done with mini list, I would be happy to oblige to listen to some recommendations. Could be from 1993 to get closer to my goal or from other years. As well as limit it to 5 records. Don't overwhelm me with tons of albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/12/2021 21:03
  • Post subject:
2012:21/250
mianfei:1/6

Julia Holter is not only an act that I am quite acquainted with, but an artist that I think is pretty consistent. Loud City Songs, Aviary and Have You In My Wilderness are all excellent records for there respective years. And while I feel those records feel more complete like her 2015 album or even more daring like her 2018 album, I feel like this is probably my favorite of hers so far. Still have the debut as well as her other works could use a revisit. But this record hit a certain chord for me. And I can understand why mianfei would lead me to this. The songs are always interesting from beginning to end. The chill atmosphere is a nice touch. The synths. Like if you want to win me over and get a high grade from me, just find an album with dreamy synthesizers and I would just feel enlightened or just hits my heart or envelopes me with a comfy touch. And oddly these tones haven't gotten stale yet. It just feels designed for me. I just wished I got to this sooner. But yeah, honestly a pretty stellar record. And if you haven't heard of her, I say check her out. There are elements of jazz that do get reference thorough her career if your curious like Loud City Songs, if I am remembering correctly.

Grade:95
Guaranteed on the year end list.

Last edited by Luigii on 10/15/2021 21:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 00:00
  • Post subject:
1993:149/250

While this album doesn't make me feel like the expression on the album cover, this is still an excellent album. From front to back, I can't think of any track off this album that I don't like or even hits a meh reaction from. It's all solid. Shares a lot of qualities that I used to explain why I was a fan of Bob Dylan's 1993 album. However, way more fulfilling. Doesn't go to the high echelon for me compared to Aimee Mann or Mazzy Star for me. If there were more songs like Speed Of The Sound Of Loneliness on this album, I could see this album getting a higher grade for me. Probably not a 100 but could have had a reserved slot in the top 50. But it's not. If you enjoy country/folk music and haven't listen to this album get to it. Also, I want to say this album passed by pretty quickly even if it's an hour long.

Well, this was a productive day today. Don't get comfy, you'll probably see maybe one album a day on the weekday due to my job will become quite hectic for me.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 10/13/2021 10:46
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:

The synths. Like if you want to win me over and get a high grade from me, just find an album with dreamy synthesizers and I would just feel enlightened or just hits my heart or envelopes me with a comfy touch. And oddly these tones haven't gotten stale yet. It just feels designed for me.

And that's all she wrote!

Honestly man... that's how I've always felt about this record. And why I got so damn pumped when she dropped "I Shall Love 2" (I still think Aviary is her masterpiece though). So it's so nice to see someone else say it. Thanks man! Excellent stuff on the diary by the way, keen to see more!

P.S. I can't come up with any suggestions off the top of my head - or at the very least, ones you haven't already heard - but I'll let you know if something does.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 10/13/2021 18:31
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
1993:148/250

The reason I chose this album next was the album cover. And man, this album cover just his this middle ground of being awful but also quite compelling. So I'm expecting this being a bad album. And for some, this could theoretically be a "bad" album for some. For me, this was a bigger shock due to how I think this album is quite excellent. To go back into the conversation that I had with kokkinos, that particular mix of jazz and rock that didn't excite me in Morphine's album feels more realized or is more of my speed. As well as there is a lot of instrumentation that really hits me. The different percussion sounds, the jazz chords the rock tones. It ends up making the album quite entertaining. Now, I don't love everything about it. I would argue Bad For The Soul vocally is not that great as well as wanting the sound to go further. Also I would say the way the album ends is a bit much in a vocal sense. Lyrically, I could see it being a little try hard or.... damn I'm trying to explain because I know this would rub people the wrong way, but I just don't have the proper term. But this is one of those records that I know would not get the best reception, but is a entertaining one for me. If you want an album that jams and to vibe to, give this a shot.

Sounds interesting enough, added it to my wishlist - and if it's half as good as Morphine, that would be great.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 19:25
  • Post subject:
@komorebi
Whenever you think of a small list you want me to give a listen, you know where to place them.

@kokkinos
Hopefully you enjoy that album half as much. But if your not crazy about it, that's fine. Just let me know when you gave it a listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/13/2021 19:49
  • Post subject:
glad to see you liked that nanci Griffith album. She's excellent and her passing earlier this year was very VERY sad news. Great album there.

Also, that particular Julia Holter is a blindspot for me. Will get on it - sounds fantastic. I am mostly very familiar with her 2013 and 2015 albums. her 2018 just didn't blow me away on first listen still, I need to give it a few more spins.

after 1993 what are the years or what is the yuear you are thinking you'll be focusing on?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website