Best Films of 2021 [Poll][Closed]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/28/2022 14:05
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Just making a quick predict saying CODA's going to be a shock win for BP tonight..

Yeah a lot of people seemed to be predicting that, and it already seems to be getting a Crash-like backlash. Didn't see it and honestly don't have much interest (and forgot the oscars were even on this weekend until I saw people saying this was probably going to win).

Will be in Chicago in April so maybe can catch a few more films but yeah don't expect a big list, to be quite honest I've been underwhelmed by a lot of what I did actually see (Soho, Spencer, Dune, Bendetta, That Macbeth Thing, as well as being rather shacked by the hyposcrisy surronding Licorice Pizza- was I supposed to take that romance as cute?!) think it's just getting older and more and more tired of the hub-ub surronding even the more begnign releases, but I'll still try to get a list in.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/28/2022 22:08
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
Just a side note shouldn't the title be [Poll] instead of [List]?

Dunno what you're talking about Liar

(Thanks).

Appreciate the lists too. I think Stewart is also going to be my #1 (Dowd and Jones will be near the top too).

I'll accept The Father. Your argument makes sense. I think nearly everyone only got around to it in 2021.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/29/2022 14:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm waiting on some stuff too. Rollout has been slightly slow, which is interesting. Hoping the 1.5 months this is up is long enough (could always add another week or two). I'm surprised Happening, Ahed's Knee, Where Is Anne Frank? and Ennio are all still unavailable.

Been trying to find showings/online options/etc for the following films and some don't have release dates in the US until *June*. This is primarily why I don't like "end of year lists" for movies in Winter of the next year.

Some stuff I'm really having a feeling I'll like and will make my Top 50 (assuming I'm able to see them):

Unclenching the Fists
Memoria
Nitram
Boiling Point
Ariaferma
L' événement
Żeby Nie Było Sladów

This is why I feel like Best of X Year lists should be done in Late Summer of the following year at the *earliest*, this isn't like music where things are more readily available.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/30/2022 00:46
  • Post subject:
The tourney is usually just before or after the Oscars, which I really like, much more than the summer idea. But Gowi certainly has a point.

I've got a rough draft of 20-ish movies, I'll post the list closer to the deadline (as will most people I suspect). Thanks for hosting as always Hayden!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2022 02:17
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
The tourney is usually just before or after the Oscars, which I really like, much more than the summer idea. But Gowi certainly has a point.

I've got a rough draft of 20-ish movies, I'll post the list closer to the deadline (as will most people I suspect). Thanks for hosting as always Hayden!

Not a problem Smile It's genuinely always a lot of fun to host.

I'll most likely post my list mid-April. Still have about a dozen or so films in my watchlist.

Quote:
Unclenching the Fists
Memoria
Nitram

Boiling Point
Ariaferma
L' événement
Żeby Nie Było Sladów

Great list for anyone looking for recs. I think all of the ones I bolded will be on my list. (Haven't seen Boiling Point, and I don't quite know anything about Ariaferma, but I'll keep an eye out for it). Some of these should hopefully be somewhat more available in April.

Memoria (sadly) deserves a very big screen, a very big room, and a fantastic sound system. I know it's not... you know... Dune... but it's still extremely hi-fi.
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 03/30/2022 22:06
  • Post subject:
The Father is really iffy to me. I know it kinda gets shafted as a 2020 film because it couldn't be on a lot of people's lists for "best films of 2020"...but it still is a 2020 film. But that's just my two cents.

My list can be found here in Letterboxd form as per usual, but here are my top 50 films of what might be my new favourite film year.

FILMS
50: Candyman
49: Ghostbusters: Afterlife
48: Land
47: The French Dispatch
46: Black Widow
45: The Suicide Squad
44: A Quiet Place Part II
43: CODA
42: The Last Duel
41: The Hand of God
40: Belfast
39: The Lost Daughter
38: Spider-Man: No Way Home
37: The Survivor
36: Shiva Baby
35: The Mitchells vs. The Machines
34: Benedetta
33: Don't Look Up
32: Swan Song (Todd Stephens)
31: tick, tick...BOOM!
30: The Green Knight
29: Billie Eilish: The World's a Little Blurry
28: C'mon C'mon
27: Zola
26: Passing
25: Stillwater
24: Red Rocket
23: Bergman Island
22: Memoria
21: The Beta Test
20: Zack Snyder's Justice League
19: Pig
18: Bo Burnham: Inside
17: The Power of the Dog
16: Flee
15: The Harder They Fall
14: Nine Days
13: Mass
12: The Worst Person in the World
11: Oscar Peterson: Black + White
10: Licorice Pizza
9: Petite Maman
8: Raya and the Last Dragon
7: Titane
6: King Richard
5: Drive My Car
4: Malcolm & Marie
3: No Time to Die
2: The Souvenir Part II
1: Dune

MALE PERFORMANCES
10: Tom Skerritt - East of the Mountains
9: Elkin Diaz - Memoria
8: Andrew Garfield - tick, tick...BOOM!
7: Will Smith - King Richard
6: Nicolas Cage - Pig
5: Anders Danielsen Lie - The Worst Person in the World
4: Ben Foster - The Survivor
3: Troy Kotsur - CODA
2: Jason Isaacs - Mass
1: Daniel Craig - No Time to Die

FEMALE PERFORMANCES
10: Tilda Swinton - Memoria
9: Ann Dowd - Mass
8: Toko Miura - Drive My Car
7: Alana Haim - Licorice Pizza
6: Renate Reinsve - The Worst Person in the World
5: Zendaya - Malcolm & Marie
4: Agathe Rousselle - Titane
3: Honor Swinton Byrne - The Souvenir Part II
2: Ruth Negga - Passing
1: Martha Plimpton - Mass

SCORES
10: James Newton Howard - Raya and the Last Dragon
9: Jonny Greenwood - Spencer
8: Eiko Ishibashi - Drive My Car
7: Nathan Johnson - Nightmare Alley
6: Junkie XL - Zack Snyder's Justice League
5: Antonio Pinto - Nine Days
4: Bo Burnham - Bo Burnham: Inside
3: Jonny Greenwood - The Power of the Dog
2: Hans Zimmer - No Time to Die
1: Hans Zimmer - Dune
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 04/01/2022 18:36
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
The Father is really iffy to me. I know it kinda gets shafted as a 2020 film because it couldn't be on a lot of people's lists for "best films of 2020"...but it still is a 2020 film. But that's just my two cents.

If you look at the release calendar, outside of a Sundance screening which I don't know that anyone on BEA attends, Malcolm & Marie was released to the public before The Father. A reminder that the 93rd Oscars held in April 2021 extended their eligibility window to the end of February 2021.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 04/01/2022 23:32
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:

If you look at the release calendar, outside of a Sundance screening which I don't know that anyone on BEA attends, Malcolm & Marie was released to the public before The Father. A reminder that the 93rd Oscars held in April 2021 extended their eligibility window to the end of February 2021.

They did that because some films that were going to be released in October-December 2021 got postponed to Jan-Feb. The films that were allowed into the 93rd Oscars all would have come out in 2020 if it weren't for COVID.

And I guess because I got to see The Father at the very start of January that I wasn't aware of how late it was actually released. I was under the impression that it had several limited releases around the world in December. When FilmSpeak were doing the year-end top 10 list for 2021, The Father was ineligible, so I was also going off of that.

Would be nice to know what you thought of the other 49 films in my list Very Happy Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/02/2022 00:57
  • Post subject:

Would be nice to know what you thought of the other 49 films in my list Very Happy Razz

I should be getting around to The Souvenir II and Zola this weekend hopefully. I skipped that Oscar Peterson doc too... should probably get on that when I can.

Will also note, thanks for identifying which Swan Song you nominated. Just a reminder to everyone else, if you're going to submit 'a' Swan Song, I need to know which one.
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2022 01:01
  • Post subject:
AwaitingAndrew wrote:

They did that because some films that were going to be released in October-December 2021 got postponed to Jan-Feb. The films that were allowed into the 93rd Oscars all would have come out in 2020 if it weren't for COVID.
Right, so these ultimately came out in 2021.
Quote:

Not sure what you're suggesting here as Malcolm & Marie was on my list as well. But if you're being genuine here, overall a solid list. Love many of the performance picks.

Also Hayden, the Swan Song on my list was the Mahershala Ali film.
  • Visit poster's website