• Post subject: [Round 1 - Match 31] Wildfires vs Higher
SAULT - Wildfires
Nominated by: RoundTheBend

Link

Shawn Mendes - Higher
Nominated by: DommeDamian

Link

Instructions:
Please listen to both songs before voting. The poll will be tallied in 7 days. See the spreadsheet for the full tournament bracket.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 04/13/2022 05:16
  • Post subject:
Easy decision for the smooth coolness of the Sault song for me.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/13/2022 06:28
  • Post subject:
Vibing with the SAULT track, though I got the impression the vocals veered out of tune a bit. IDK. Inflo presumably knows what he’s doing. I think I might check out this album.
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 04/13/2022 09:27
  • Post subject:
Wildfires was cool enough but it seemed like something was missing the entire runtime. Good background music it is, and it would have been a highlight on Nine.

Look, I do not care if I am the only person in the entire universe with this opinion (perhaps I am) but Shawn Mendes' Higher is perfect to me. Throughout 2021 when I listened to his Wonder album, this song ended up reshaping my view of what music perfection is, all over again. Every tiny little detail about the song I absolutely cannot put into words as how much I loove it; it's like God himself gave this song to me as a personal gift. The rhythm is super hard hitting and I have vibed to this song in public countless times shamelessly. The lines has a flirtatious yet observing romantic quality to them that I find relatable on so many levels. The subject matter is like finding contemporary but true love while being high as a kite (that's my interpretation of it) and it's super simple but it's super duper effective. Mendes' voice has never sounded more extraordinary; the vocal balance he has on this song is otherworldly to say the least (like the way the confident falsetto is harmonized with a tender vibrato in the chorus is audio magic), as well as his agilities are all coming with the exact right notes the exact right time. Also his vocal range, I strive for that. Even for a pop song, the structure is very straightforward but very rarely has it been as purposeful, and I also wish more artists would recognize switching up the second verse from the first is always a win-move (this song proves it to, in my opinion, maximum euphoric effect). Just like with his voice, the organization of each melody (the synth tone, the bass line and Shawn's words) are varied yet completely in sync; they compliment each other fully. Where many other musicians (not just in pop but in all genres) fail is to stick a satisfying landing on a song (meaning a great way to end it in a non-lazy way), Higher shows how it's done. Almost the same thing with song lengths, this song has everything I ever could ask for in 2:40 (just like how Tim Buckley have 5-10 times more artistry and quality in a 35-40 minute album than most artists can dream of having in a 70-80 minute one). The groove rivals any groove from.... any of my favorites, even Michael Jackson. When I travel to the 5th dimension, this percussion is what my spirit will hear. I also am a big fan of how the production turns out to be (direct but never overpowering).
From my mini-review of it on my 2020-chart: "After experiencing everything about this song, I've re-ranked 85% of my listened music, and 80% of my perfect scores (100/100s) are gone. I've heard this song at least 50 times a month since the album dropped."

The song by all means will lose this match right away but that doesn't change a thing for me. I nominated this song not for winning but for me to sing its praises. This is one of my favorite songs ever now; when I think of whether or not I should give a song/tune a perfect 100, I reference this song as comparison.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 04/13/2022 15:54
  • Post subject:
That was a raving review on how you feel about this track DommeDamian but unfortunately listening to it didn't match what you wrote about it for me, maybe it's the age difference. For me the Sault song was a bit better.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 04/14/2022 15:46
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
That was a raving review on how you feel about this track DommeDamian but unfortunately listening to it didn't match what you wrote about it for me, maybe it's the age difference. For me the Sault song was a bit better.

No worries at all dihansse. I don't think it's age as much as it is a very out-there perspective (even my peers don't feel the same). Glad you read what I had to say Smile

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2022 15:24
  • Post subject:
Super easy vote for Sault. Shawn Mendes makes some of the pop music I hate the most, he almost always comes off uninspired to me and this track is no different. Seems like an Ed Sheeran song with more confident vocals.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2022 04:03
  • Post subject:
There's SAULT I like better but thus SAULT is still an easy winner here.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/18/2022 14:59
  • Post subject:
First off, easy win for Sault. Absolutely stunning song from a stunning album.

Loved your write-up DommeDamian. Shawn Mendes isn't an artist I go out of my way to listen to, but as far as radio pop goes, he's solid. I've enjoyed his appearances on SNL, and while I don't follow him on social media, for some reason some of his casual videos pop up for me occasionally, and I think he seems like a fun and funny guy in a "make fun of my own awkwardness"-sort of way. Probably too much or too awkward for some people, but I kinda like him. "Higher" isn't a song I like too much, but I'll keep my ears open as his career continues.
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/18/2022 20:12
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian's comment is wonderful, thanks for taking the time to put it together and share it with us!
That being said, this is quite possibly the most lopsided matchup of the tournament, a walk in the park for WIldfires.
  • Visit poster's website