Best Films of The 80s (V2) [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 11/23/2022 12:47
  • Post subject:
Also @Hayden: this might be too much effort, but do you have info on who participated in V1 of this tournament? Just curious, I know I didn't, so I'm wondering if it's mostly the same folks and the movies changed, or if it's more of a different pool of people who brought different films and opinions to the table.

Looking forward to whatever you cook up next!
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/23/2022 13:12
  • Post subject:
In terms of actors, Harrison Ford is really the king of this list by far. Starring lead in two out of the top three films; three in the top ten and five in the top 100 (if I counted right- looks like Hayden counted five as well).
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/23/2022 13:28
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure if I caught this one the first time or my metrics have changed that much; if the latter, then that's pretty interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/23/2022 23:52
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
The Shining too, didn't think it was possible for it to be outside the top 10.

This is one of the bigger shocks I think. I even had a poster made for it and everything. It even floated around the 30-40 range for a while, then things kicked it up into the top 10, and it slipped in the last few days. Figured it was a lock. (Blow Out had a last-minute surge which knocked it out... my... erm, poster for Blow Out was made shortly after posting Grave of The Fireflies because I completely forgot it needed one...). Glad I got around to Blow Out this time around. Had no clue it would do so well.

CA Dreamin wrote:
A side-by-side look at the old list vs. the new:

Thanks for making that CA (I hope you had access to the original list on Letterboxd... I made it private yesterday). Stranger Than Paradise, Au Revoir les Enfants and Withnail & I leaving the list hurt a little, but I still think I'm going to give the edge to the new list. After Hours, The Cook, Kiki's, Possession, Pixote, Landscape in the Mist and A Short Film About Love are great additions.

theblueboy wrote:
That comparison is interesting, thanks CA Dreamin Smile

For me the new list is better, even though I would have liked Withnail & I to remain ( basically my only gripe with the list). I really like that Purple Rose (my number #1) was the highest new entry. On the other hand, I was so wrong about Brazil winning Embarassed Blade Runner is a very worthy number one though. Must have been that final list that earned it the top spot.

There are loads I’ve not seen, including four in the top 10. I’ll probably look into some of these.

(also, @LedZep, the film you knocked out of the top 100 that I said was 'one of my favs' was Withnail Sad — it fell even further though, don't worry, wasn't you)

Blade Runner was the #1 for most of the poll. I was kinda surprised nobody was guessing it. Interestingly, it wasn't anybody's personal #1 until one of the very final lists— Todd.

Which films in the top 10 haven't you seen? Last time around I hadn't watched our #1 (The Empire Strikes Back). Got around to the first three Star Wars film during my first pandemic binge. (They... umm... don't appear on my list).

MadhattanJack wrote:
Speaking only for myself, I definitely like the new list better than the old one.

Thanks for the link MadhattanJack. Quality's ace too. Definitely gives people a shot to watch it no matter what. (But please don't watch it on your phones Embarassed)
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/24/2022 00:02
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Hayden, thanks for putting this together and compiling. Lovely format you used to post the results. I'm not a huge fan of the minimalist posters, but I can't deny it makes for a beautiful experience while scrolling this thread Applause

I'm kicking myself, because I watched Fitzcarraldo in the final days of the contest and I LOVED it... but then forgot to include it in my chart Embarassed ... I don't know how much of a difference that would have made, but my guess is it may have improved its rank from 70. Of all the films I hadn't heard of before starting this contest, that and The Sacrifice were clear favorites.

Thanks Smile There actually was a minor change to the posting format this time around, and I think it made a big aesthetic difference (especially if you're on mobile).

Fitzcarraldo landed a bit lower than I figured (thought it would be around the 40-50 range)— but every couple of points count. The tally here was very tight until you get to the top 15 or so. Glad you enjoyed it along with The Sacrifice though Smile — my personal favourite find from doing this poll was The Funeral (Juzo Itami).

As far as the posters, they were kinda just... whipped up this time around. Some I'm happy with, some... aren't great. I had no idea what to do for Brazil. Leaving it blank almost seemed fitting Laughing (It's supposed to be the platform, etc...)

Maybe next time I'll try maximalist Razz

EyeKanFly wrote:
Also @Hayden: this might be too much effort, but do you have info on who participated in V1 of this tournament? Just curious, I know I didn't, so I'm wondering if it's mostly the same folks and the movies changed, or if it's more of a different pool of people who brought different films and opinions to the table.

Looking forward to whatever you cook up next!

Not to burst everyone's bubble, but I actually don't have this data. Sorry. I think it's the only thing I don't store Confused

Being said, based on memory, I'd say it's about 40% returning / 60% new names. (Possibly even closer to 50/50).

theblueboy wrote:
In terms of actors, Harrison Ford is really the king of this list by far. Starring lead in two out of the top three films; three in the top ten and five in the top 100 (if I counted right- looks like Hayden counted five as well).

I'm probably missing somebody... I'm going to keep digging around (it's easy on Letterboxd). As of now, he's the one who I think appears the most. Definitely with starring roles anyway. Three in the top 10 is impressive no matter what. Varied too.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2022 04:26
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Thanks for making that CA (I hope you had access to the original list on Letterboxd... I made it private yesterday)
Yes, I had access to the old list on LB. I got a head start on the side-by-side comparison two nights ago when 100-41 were revealed. The old list on LB was still up at the time. It's a little time-consuming typing out the lists and doing the green and red colors for gains and losses, so getting the head start helped (though I know it's nowhere near as time-consuming as compiling the spreadsheet, quotes, images, and posters...as always, thanks for all your efforts there).

Anyway, some thoughts and observations...

1. I've seen 78 out of 100. Made some progress in my 80s watchlist this poll, but still have a ways to go. Gonna pull recs from here and user's personal lists.

2. I didn't have enough dogs in the soundtrack race to make a list in that subcategory, but I was surprised Back to the Future was not in the Top 10. Alan Silvestri's most iconic score, plus two great original songs by Huey Lewis and News...how did that not make it?

3. In general, The 90s V2 list saw an inflow of art-house and non-English entries, and an outflow of comedies and kid movies from the V1 list. I expected the 80s V2 to follow that pattern but I'm not really seeing it. Steep drops and departures for San Soleil, Au Revoir les Enfants, Das Boot, Kagemusha, Wings of Desire, among others. But at the same time, gains and debuts for Come and See, Damnation, Women on the Verge, Nostalghia, and Pixote. At a glance, I think it's about an even swap there. As for comedies and kid/teen movies, same thing. Losses and dropouts for Breakfast Club, Great Mouse Detective, Secret of NIMH, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop, Spaceballs, etc. But gains and debuts for Airplane!, The Naked Gun, Kiki's Delivery Service, Nausicaä, Ferris Bueller, A Fish Called Wanda, etc. Personally I'm mixed on the changes there, leaning towards favoring the new list.

4. Overall, horror movies did better. Evil Dead II, Nightmare on Elm Street, Re-Animator, An American Werewolf in London, Possession all making gains and debuts. A few horror movies saw their rankings fall a little bit, but overall more representation. There were a shit-ton of horror movies in the 80s, but in my opinion we did a very good job at representing the best the decade had to offer! Imagine if badseed had participated (for all our agreements and disagreements, I miss that guy's presence on the movie forums, hope he's doing well).

5. Woody Allen has become a controversial figure in the years since the first 80s list, but didn't affect his inclusion. His movies jumped all over the place, but I totally dig the high placement for Purple Rose, my personal favorite of his, and it made my Top 5. And I actually haven't seen Crimes and Misdemeanors. I've seen over half of his movies, and C&M is the most highly regarded one I haven't seen. I really want to but it's never been available via disc rental, VOD, or streaming. I don't know why. One day, I might buy the disc online and have it delivered to me.

6. I could be wrong, but I think the huge jump for Predator is partly, if not mostly, due to the popularity of Prey. I suspect Prey has led to some re-watches and re-evaluations of the franchise original. While I don't think the world of Predator, it is a fun monster flick that was on my list near the bottom. And on a slightly-related note, I don't understand the hype of Prey. It's okay, but one of the most over-rated movies of 2022.

7. Wait, Mercury hasn't seen Heathers? That movie seems so up his alley.

8. I understand and partially agree with MadhattanJack's comment that Come and See is simple in its narrative and message. But I don't entirely agree that it lacks artistic elements and is strictly an anti-Nazi film. Agreed, that is most of it. But I find the last 15-25 minutes went deeper by demonstrating how war can make monsters out of all of us. Furthermore, it showed a little humanity from the German soldiers, albeit only after getting a taste of their own medicine, and after their fate was sealed. It's not much in the grand scheme of its 142-minute run time, but it's there. Anyway, I also think there's something artistic/creative in Klimov's filming, editing, and sound mixing techniques in Come and See, (ex. the shell-shock effect of slow motion filming combined with muffled sound). The same techniques that Spielberg emulated, expanded, and popularized when making Schindler and Private Ryan. He obviously watched Come and See when preparing to shoot those movies (Come and See is far better than both).

9. Anyway, good list! I like the V2 list more.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2022 05:23
  • Post subject:
Well, it's been something like 3 years. Did you guys miss me? Great to see many of my favorite users still around and taking part in these polls. Beautiful list as always.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2022 09:33
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Well, it's been something like 3 years. Did you guys miss me? Great to see many of my favorite users still around and taking part in these polls. Beautiful list as always.

Hey! Hell yes I missed you! Hope you’re doing well!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/24/2022 19:00
  • Post subject:
cool to see Badseed back, missed their contributions.

i think as i get older what changed in my "metrics" as i put them (because this thread has gotten me to thinking about them) is i get more and more honest about my feelings regarding art and media. this isn't to say that i like, was dishonest or lying about anything in the past, but more that a pretentious nature that has always plagued me caused me to think differently than how i feel. i used to cringe at putting commercial films, however good or what they mean to me, above art films and i think a large part of my evaluation of the 80s for example is recognizing how good blockbusters were of the period and how much they earnestly mean to me.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/25/2022 08:57
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Blade Runner was the #1 for most of the poll. I was kinda surprised nobody was guessing it. Interestingly, it wasn't anybody's personal #1 until one of the very final lists— Todd.

Which films in the top 10 haven't you seen? Last time around I hadn't watched our #1 (The Empire Strikes Back). Got around to the first three Star Wars film during my first pandemic binge. (They... umm... don't appear on my list).

Thanks for the link MadhattanJack. Quality's ace too. Definitely gives people a shot to watch it no matter what. (But please don't watch it on your phones Embarassed)

Yeah, should have guessed Blade Runner. I just got Brazil stuck in my head and it refused to leave (shrugs).

From the top 10, I’ve not seen: Come and See; Paris, Texas; Blow Out or Grave of The Fireflies. I’m quite keen to give them all a go when I get the chance.

Might try the Youtube link for Come and See, but I’m conscious that the adverts might spoil it.