Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2022 00:34
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Someone very close to me IRL once panned Satantango by saying it's "a bunch of guys trying to remake Tarkovsky Be Kind Rewind style"

Ok but that actually sounds awesome haha

Applerill wrote:
(Also, Satantango has 12 chapter markers, and I think going through 2 a night is pretty manageable. I also recommend having a "Satantango party" where you invite friends over)

Excellent, thanks for the suggestion!
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2022 00:43
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Apparently, S & S is about a month away from revealing all the individual lists of the critics and directors that voted.

Fortunately, some have been shared on twitter and elsewhere by some of the voters wanting to reveal for themselves which films they voted for. And someone with a lot of time on their hands tracked a bunch of those down and posted them in one place here:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/1...jfs5r7oihc

Btw, I just realized that this is also consistently being updated into the present. There are a number of new additions since I last commented just a few posts above... so is a very good source, all in one place, of most/all revealed voter's lists so far, until S & S unveils the lot of 'em (around early Jan 2023).

Awesome. Going to go over this on the weekend Smile
(I know most of the films by the looks of it, but I'm interested in who picked what)

Quote:
On a separate film note... I'm also super intrigued by Sátántangó but I'm daunted by the 7+ hour run time. For those who have seen it, can anyone recommend how to partition it? I've read that it's essentially in 12 "installments" but I don't know if it's appropriate to watch it in ~30 minute chunks. Does three 2.5 hr "installments" make more sense? Or should it really be seen in one sitting?

First time around (I've only ever watched it twice) was in two sittings. Think I spilt it around the 5h mark... and... erm... went to bed.

Also, read the book.
(It takes about the same amount of time Laughing)

All that aside, Jeanne Dielman isn't my favourite Akerman. (Think I rate it with a 4/5). I'd take News from Home, Toute une nuit, or The Meetings of Anna over it. The Captive and Je, Tu, Il, Elle are kinda on the same plain. No Home Movie is a bit hard t categorize/rank. (I don't have a lot of love for Hotel Monterey or Night and Day). No matter what, it's still a slightly odd 'communal best film of all time' Neutral
  • Visit poster's website
Red0510

• Posted: 12/10/2022 20:54
  • Post subject: First
First SnS poll where directors seem more sober than critics.
The match for the title of the Weirdest First Line with the Rolling Stone team ended in a draw.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/10/2022 21:56
  • Post subject:
Some (potentially contentious) points made in this article: https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/12/...ar-cinema/

Thoughts anyone?

NOTE: Me sharing this does not mean I am agreeing with all of it. Some of it, perhaps (or at least "sort of but probably not to the extent he is stating his main points"). He probably overstates some (most?) of his points as (possibly) being more politically motivated than they actually were (but I could be wrong, I don't have enough inside info of the process to be sure one way or the other). I do think the last "Newsflash" point is curious and probably misguided on BFI's part (I don't mean that as a political point leaning one way or the other, just for the sort of process the S & S poll is supposed to be, presumably being entirely about the "greatest" or "best", in line with the quality, creativity, impact of the films as cinematic art, the votes being entirely cast with that sort of criteria in mind?). Though, again, it also depends on the specifics of how the PR of the consultant was carried out and in what way it influenced the voters (which seems probable by deduction by the results) but also which is hard to know precisely without being involved with the PR and any message that may or may not have been given in advance of the polling itself.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2022 23:41
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Some (potentially contentious) points made in this article: https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/12/...ar-cinema/

Thoughts anyone?

It's almost exactly what I expected, as I posted on the previous page of this thread. Granted, this guy does at least consider the selection process, but only as another means of dismissing it. And TBH, if it's true that they stacked the list of respondents with non-critics and "hired a consultant to take the white male canon and set it on fire," then this is probably the follow-on result they wanted — a lot of angry right-wing "movement conservative" types who will probably all go and make their own lists now, helping to further bifurcate the culture.

I'm certainly not saying one should never mix art and politics, because if I really believed that I'd probably have to throw out at least a third of my music collection. But ultimately we'll end up — rather needlessly — with separate left-wing and right-wing cultures in which you can't even weave a basket or knit a scarf without it being seen as a political statement, and outlets that try to stay "above the fray" will suffer, as more and more people silo themselves and stop paying any attention to them. And even that wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't practically guaranteed that the artists and musicians will be the ones most badly screwed over in the process.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 12/11/2022 00:13
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
AfterHours wrote:

Thoughts anyone?

It's almost exactly what I expected, as I posted on the previous page of this thread. Granted, this guy does at least consider the selection process, but only as another means of dismissing it. And TBH, if it's true that they stacked the list of respondents with non-critics and "hired a consultant to take the white male canon and set it on fire," then this is probably the follow-on result they wanted — a lot of angry right-wing "movement conservative" types who will probably all go and make their own lists now, helping to further bifurcate the culture.

I'm certainly not saying one should never mix art and politics, because if I really believed that I'd probably have to throw out at least a third of my music collection. But ultimately we'll end up — rather needlessly — with separate left-wing and right-wing cultures in which you can't even weave a basket or knit a scarf without it being seen as a political statement, and outlets that try to stay "above the fray" will suffer, as more and more people silo themselves and stop paying any attention to them. And even that wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't practically guaranteed that the artists and musicians will be the ones most badly screwed over in the process.

Thanks Madhattan, I do totally agree with you that there should be no push whatsover towards any political ideology (right, left or otherwise) with regards influencing the results and the poll should 100% be left completely open to the voter(s) opinions of the film criteria.

And to reiterate a point I touched on earlier, I do think there should be some sort of parameters suggested as to that criteria, so that the voters are more or less aligned in what they're voting for (but still left to their subjective view in relation to said parameters). Something like: "The intention of the vote is to produce a truly accurate view of what you individually, and the voters collectively as aggregate, feel are the greatest the cinematic art has to offer. So please vote carefully and with this in the front of your mind. What, in your honest view, are the 10 greatest films the cinematic art form has ever produced?"

You might even add something in there like: "Greatest could mean many things, whether the most creative or visionary, or the films that have impacted you the most profoundly, or perhaps an ideal combination of each of those factors. We leave this up to your interpretation." The main point being, I do think it would be good to at least suggest a general criteria or at least parameters thereof so there is a better basis for what the voters are voting for. Even if I think many voters have an inherent understanding that this, or something close to it, is or should be the main idea, some clearly seem to use their vote for other reasons/strategies (or whatever you want to call it). Something like this even seemed to happen when there was a growing collective/semi-coordinated effort to push Vertigo over Kane in the last two decades. Even if I think Vertigo is an incredible film and a perfectly worthy choice, and rose towards the top mostly organically, I still don't agree with voters trying to influence others to vote for it as their Hitchcock choice to push Kane from the top ... unless of course they were honestly feeling Vertigo was among their top 10, which again, I tend to agree with as I have it in my own top 10 -- I just don't agree with the poll being conducted that way, whether it be to push one of my all time favorites (Vertigo) to the top, or Jeanne Dielman (even though a very good film imo) to the top in 2022. Though by no means would any of the above "criteria suggestion" could or would guarantee "fool-proof" results, more logic and honesty aligned to a common goal (based only on film quality, assessment thereof), would (probably) prevail in establishing this as a message to the voters at the beginning of the voting process.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2022 21:50
  • Post subject:
I dunno, I like that it gives people a lot of options. I feel like the individual ballots (especially from serious cinephiles, critics and filmmakers) are much more interesting than the final list. Like, it was undeniably a BOSS move for Showgirls to be on Mia Hansen Love’s list, and I think more filmmakers should try that.

(I wanted to with something like Step Brothers, but I felt like I didn’t have room at the end of the day, just as I didn’t have room for Akerman or even Godard or Lynch)
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2022 22:02
  • Post subject:
Also, I used to like Armond a good bit (Satie even compared me to him once), but that piece is truly disgusting, especially in regards to how he mocks her suicide.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2022 15:34
  • Post subject:
I'm obviously not smart enough for this conversation, but I'll put in my two cents anyway.

If I was over at someone's house, and I said, "hey, why don't we watch a movie?", and they say, "Ok, let's watch Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles, then I'm probably going to leave.

I will say that I don't agree with the critic list being "woke" or anything like that though. They have The Searchers in the top 20, so either they've never actually watched that film, or they're OK with John Wayne being a former Confederate that hates Native Americans. I would say the sheer fact that film is there in that position is as critical as the number one film.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/13/2022 15:49
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I will say that I don't agree with the critic list being "woke" or anything like that though.
When someone uses "woke" unironically in 2022, especially in the headline, there's 99.99% chance whatever they've written is not worth reading.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website