Albums with the highest number of tracks

View previous topic :: View next topic
Pelorin

• Posted: 12/13/2022 19:18
  • Post subject: Albums with the highest number of tracks
What is the highest number of songs that you can remember on an album? My mind is drawing a blank at 30 songs from The Beatles (White album), there must be a (non-obscure) album with more tracks?

P.S. I saw there is a similar thread from 2013, but didn't want to necro something that old, correct me if I made a mistake. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2022 20:51
  • Post subject:
Obviously there are multi-disc compilations that have well over a hundred tracks, but if we limit the answers to original single-disc vinyl LPs by a single band, I don't know of any that can beat this one, with 40 tracks, each 1 minute long:

The Commercial Album by The Residents
  • Visit poster's website
Pelorin

• Posted: 12/13/2022 21:27
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Obviously there are multi-disc compilations that have well over a hundred tracks, but if we limit the answers to original single-disc vinyl LPs by a single band, I don't know of any that can beat this one, with 40 tracks, each 1 minute long:

The Commercial Album by The Residents

Yes that is exactly what I meant, the limit is excellent. Very Happy

Oooooh veeery interesting, thank you!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/13/2022 21:45
  • Post subject:
There was an album I saw here a good while back with over 200,000 tracks (I remember it causing a problem with data entry etc Laughing ). I forget the name, but will post back if I remember (or maybe I’ll go and look it up in database). The tracks were a few seconds long or along those lines (probably would have been a digital release though and not vinyl).
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2022 22:23
  • Post subject:
Maybe this one?

Aleph-Ten (ℵ₁₀) by Bull Of Heaven

It actually has 1,000,000 tracks, each like 0.05 seconds long. In other words, " a "stunt," as they say, and it's not the only "album" that particular artist has done this with. And if you ask me, your solution to the problem (or whoever's it was) was completely appropriate...

Anyway, this is why you need limiting conditions, even if they might seem arbitrary. Otherwise you could make a case for something like Lull's Moments (not in the BEA database), because it has 99 tracks, but it was never issued on vinyl. It's basically just a collection of untitled ambient "bits," most of them well under a minute, some as short as 5 seconds. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it's not really much of an "album" in the usual BEA sense of the word "album."
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 12/14/2022 07:14
  • Post subject:
Non-obscure ones:
The Magnetic Fields- 69 Loves Songs (69)
The Magnetic Fields - 50 song memoir (50)
Tom Waits - Orphans (56) though this is somewhere between a compilation and a studio album.
Half Japanese - Half Gentlemen Not Beasts (38 )
The Clash - Sandanista (36)
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2022 08:04
  • Post subject:
If you take away the "one vinyl LP" requirement, this album is 137 tracks on 11 separate CDs, and it's not a compilation either — supposedly each track is an original composition written specifically for this album and recorded in a studio. (Probably a home studio, but still.) Most tracks are over 4 minutes and the shortest is 2:30. So... that's pretty impressive!

(Blue Guitars) by Chris Rea

According to the notes under the Youtube videos:

Quote:
The album is an ambitious project with the 137 songs recorded over the course of 1½ years with a work schedule - according to Chris Rea himself - of twelve hours a day, seven days a week.

No word on whether or not Chris Rea used any red, yellow, white, gold-top, or cherry-sunburst guitars during the recording sessions, but if I were putting together something this big, I wouldn't take any chances.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/14/2022 08:41
  • Post subject:
MadhattanJack wrote:
Maybe this one?

That's the one - thanks Very Happy (amazing that this exists)
  • Visit poster's website
Pelorin

• Posted: 12/14/2022 19:22
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
There was an album I saw here a good while back with over 200,000 tracks (I remember it causing a problem with data entry etc Laughing ). I forget the name, but will post back if I remember (or maybe I’ll go and look it up in database). The tracks were a few seconds long or along those lines (probably would have been a digital release though and not vinyl).

MadhattanJack wrote:
Maybe this one?

It actually has 1,000,000 tracks, each like 0.05 seconds long. In other words, " a "stunt," as they say, and it's not the only "album" that particular artist has done this with. And if you ask me, your solution to the problem (or whoever's it was) was completely appropriate...

Anyway, this is why you need limiting conditions, even if they might seem arbitrary. Otherwise you could make a case for something like Lull's Moments (not in the BEA database), because it has 99 tracks, but it was never issued on vinyl. It's basically just a collection of untitled ambient "bits," most of them well under a minute, some as short as 5 seconds. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, but it's not really much of an "album" in the usual BEA sense of the word "album."

Wow... Yes, definitely not a "classic album" haha. Bizzare, I learn something every day, thanks for the input!

theblueboy wrote:
Non-obscure ones:
The Magnetic Fields- 69 Loves Songs (69)
The Magnetic Fields - 50 song memoir (50)
Tom Waits - Orphans (56) though this is somewhere between a compilation and a studio album.
Half Japanese - Half Gentlemen Not Beasts (38 )
The Clash - Sandanista (36)

Very nice, this is exactly what I was wondering about! Thanks!

MadhattanJack wrote:
If you take away the "one vinyl LP" requirement, this album is 137 tracks on 11 separate CDs, and it's not a compilation either — supposedly each track is an original composition written specifically for this album and recorded in a studio. (Probably a home studio, but still.) Most tracks are over 4 minutes and the shortest is 2:30. So... that's pretty impressive!

(Blue Guitars) by Chris Rea

According to the notes under the Youtube videos:

Quote:
The album is an ambitious project with the 137 songs recorded over the course of 1½ years with a work schedule - according to Chris Rea himself - of twelve hours a day, seven days a week.

No word on whether or not Chris Rea used any red, yellow, white, gold-top, or cherry-sunburst guitars during the recording sessions, but if I were putting together something this big, I wouldn't take any chances.

Wow had no idea Chris Rea had over the top projects such as this, very interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 12/14/2022 23:26
  • Post subject:

Heartbreak On A Full Moon by Chris Brown

45 songs, all of them songs no skits or intros.

Den Ka'Byttes by Hva' Snakker Du Om?

65 songs, but it's a comedy album.....in Danish.

Oh and this one of course, one of the greatest of all time:

Double Nickels On The Dime by Minutemen

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website