Best Films of 2022 [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/22/2023 16:42
  • Post subject:
Fun Facts / Stats

—This is the first year since 2018 BEA has chosen an English-language film as the year's best but you still need subtitles
—The Banshees of Inisherin, our #1 for the year, was the only film to appear on every list submitted
—A total of 15 countries are represented in the top 50
—Elvis and Women Talking are the only absent Best Picture nominees
—The only acting finalist not nominated for an Oscar is Dolly De Leon
—There are 7 films from Cannes' official competition
—The shortest film on the list is The Territory (85m), and the longest film on the list is Avatar: The Way of Water (192m)
—Colin Farrell, our best acting awardee, appears more than any other actor, with a total of three performances

Documentaries: 4
Animated: 4
Sequels: 6
Remakes: 5
Donkeys: 4
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 05/22/2023 17:21
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Fun Facts / Stats

—This is the first year since 2018 BEA has chosen an English-language film as the year's best but you still need subtitles
—The Banshees of Inisherin, our #1 for the year, was the only film to appear on every list submitted
—A total of 15 countries are represented in the top 50
—Elvis and Women Talking are the only absent Best Picture nominees
—The only acting finalist not nominated for an Oscar is Dolly De Leon
—There are 7 films from Cannes' official competition
—The shortest film on the list is The Territory (85m), and the longest film on the list is Avatar: The Way of Water (192m)
—Colin Farrell, our best acting awardee, appears more than any other actor, with a total of three performances

Documentaries: 4
Animated: 4
Sequels: 6
Remakes: 5
Donkeys: 4
Laughing It's cats in games and donkeys in movies. What a year to be a domestic animal! Good list, thanks for hosting as always Hayden, it was smooth and I had a lot of fun even though I didn't participate much. Glad Banshees were number 1, nothing against EEAAO though.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/22/2023 18:26
  • Post subject:
as i said, the more i watch everything everywhere all at once the less i like it
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/22/2023 19:05
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Glad Banshees were number 1, nothing against EEAAO though.

Likewise. Banshees is only a hair away from being my personal #1 for the year (EEAAO is just a little outside my top 10) — (seen both twice now) — I think it's a great choice from BEA.

Some personal notes/re:surprises, etc—
—I figured Elvis would make the cut. Wasn't even close. Also, I haven't seen it.
—SK's Broker & Decision to Leave did significantly better than I figured (thought both would place 10-15 spots lower)
—I predicted our top 3 would be 1) EEAAO 2) Tar 3) Banshees, but I think I prefer how it turned out
—I've yet to watch Pearl/X, and genuinely have no idea what they're about... think I should get on that
—Another film that was nowhere close was Hustle, which I thought would land
—We actually had a lot of films submitted for this (nearly 200), which made the list a little topheavy. Wasn't as much overlay as usual. Not sure what that says about the year, but it's kinda interesting.
—Everyone (including the Academy) seems to agree with the acting chops of 2022
—I... um... haven't see Top Gun. Just an fyi.
—And I also came very close to adding After Yang in a last-minute edit to my list... it ranks high on my 2021 tally, but I still just don't see it as a 2022 film. Whatever. Doesn't matter. Great stuff. Just had an awkward release path. Nice that a Sakamoto score made the cut.
—Just got word Ray Stevenson (RRR) passed away. Had a great performance in that... shame to hear

That's all I got.
It's the 70s next.
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2023 21:03
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
as i said, the more i watch everything everywhere all at once the less i like it

How many times have you seen it?!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 05/23/2023 03:55
  • Post subject:
3 now
  • Visit poster's website
PurpleHazel

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2023 08:19
  • Post subject:
If you like blaxploitation movies and/or have an interest in the history of (American) black cinema, the doc Is That Black Enough for You?!? might be worth a look. Directed by critic Elvis Mitchell, it covers the history of black cinema into the 80s, centered on films from the late 60s and 70s. Naturally, he gives more weight to some of the more artful 70s films like Killer of Sheep, Claudine and Ganja and Hess, and, inevitably, Sweet Sweetback's Blackasssss Song.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2023 17:27
  • Post subject:
BEA loves basketball, so where was Hustle? Surprising omission. Akin to Moneyball, Hustle might be my favorite basketball movie (2023's Air is very good too; Hustle and Air demonstrate Moneyball's continued influence on the sports genre).

Even though I liked EEAA1 enough to put on my list, I thought it was overrated from the beginning and grew tired of the hype real quick. I intentionally left it off my list in hopes something else would take #1. And hey, it worked. You're welcome, Gowi.

Glad to see Aftersun crack the Top 5. Well-deserved.

Brendan Fraser had such a great performance in The Whale, coming in at #4...but the film itself didn't even make the Top 50. Sounds about right. So many problems with that film.

Some day, maybe we'll see Colin Farrell win an Oscar.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/23/2023 23:04
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
BEA loves basketball, so where was Hustle?

Brendan Fraser had such a great performance in The Whale, coming in at #4...but the film itself didn't even make the Top 50. Sounds about right. So many problems with that film.

Some day, maybe we'll see Colin Farrell win an Oscar.

I'm not sure why Hustle didn't get a lot of love— I'll admit, it wasn't in my top 50, but it would definitely land top 75, and Sandler's performance is one of his best. Yeah. No clue.

The Whale almost squeaked in, but was never actually in our top 50 at any point in the poll. Came super close near the end though. I kinda get it... I wasn't able to figure out how to score/rank that film. Lots about it I liked. Lots I didn't. Regardless, Fraser gave it his all, and I think it's a fantastic performance.

Worth noting Farrell won the Volpi Cup for Banshees (against Fraser, Darin, Gimenez Cacho, Mohammadzadeh) and that's definitely a deserved recognition— (I actually think Venice had a better selection than Cannes in 2022). I imagine an Oscar is in his future, especially with the quality of his work recently, but Banshees was a close of a call as any. That overall ensemble was phenomenal (including Jenny), and I'd vouch for it over EEAAO. Really glad Barry Keoghan made our list too— one of the on-the-big-screen better success stories of late.
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/30/2023 20:42
  • Post subject:
Thanks for putting this together Hayden and for all the bonus stats as well! Maybe I missed it in the mix, but how many participants were there in the poll?

Also, I managed to catch Nope and Three Thousand Years of Longing this weekend, still haven't seen Babylon though (sorry @CA Dreamin Confused ). Probably wouldn't have shaken up the chart much (if at all), but I did really enjoy Nope and probably would've had that towards the top of my list.