Best Films of The 70s (V2) [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/08/2023 07:31
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Ooof Think — I... think we... should allow it? It's been released as a single film at somepoint, right? I remember watching it as a miniseries, but there's an alt theatrical cut... I think? Somewhere? Laughing — Criterion?

Was talking about the film list, but either or Razz

@AfterHours & Olli — thanks for submitting Smile was hoping you'd both contribute lists this time around, and you don't disappoint. I should actually have a chance to tally them sometime tonight. It's great to see the poll beefing up so quickly. (sidenote— another film I should get around to is Nashville Anxious ...) — should we allow World on a Wire, I don't think there's any issues anywhere.

And I'll get back to you in one sec CA.

Meanwhile, lookin' like Blade Runner 2049 over here— anyone in NYC?

Thanks Hayden. Yep, World on a Wire is a Criterion release as well as probably some other issues (as a film).

Oh, don't worry about seeing Nashville, it's only the greatest film of the 70s Very Happy Covers an astonishing expanse of thematic and emotional ground and can withstand (and rewards) multiple viewings trying to grapple with it all (always seeming to reveal more each time). It's pretty loose in terms of structure and for that some have trouble with it (because they're probably looking too hard for a linear and "directed" plot to carry them along), but if one is adept at following a profusion of themes developed freely and organically throughout into a multi-layered panorama of drama, comedy, wicked satire, music, politics -- life and times in the USA -- then you'll be just fine. The finale is an astonishing, deeply layered fusion, both ambiguous and emphatic, of everything it develops throughout.
  • Visit poster's website
BozoTyrannus

Guyana

• Posted: 06/08/2023 13:42
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - Love this movie. De Palma loosely adapted multiple literary works to create something wholly unique and his own, brilliantly mixing horror and musical. This movie doesn't seem like it should work, and yet somehow it does. A fun time indeed, and an easy choice for my list.

I've hated every De Palma movie I've seen so far, but I've heard so much good about this one that I really wanna give it a try, it sounds amazing.
And make Sean Pean
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/10/2023 14:21
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Thanks Hayden. Yep, World on a Wire is a Criterion release as well as probably some other issues (as a film).

Oh, don't worry about seeing Nashville, it's only the greatest film of the 70s Very Happy Covers an astonishing expanse of thematic and emotional ground and can withstand (and rewards) multiple viewings trying to grapple with it all (always seeming to reveal more each time). It's pretty loose in terms of structure and for that some have trouble with it (because they're probably looking too hard for a linear and "directed" plot to carry them along), but if one is adept at following a profusion of themes developed freely and organically throughout into a multi-layered panorama of drama, comedy, wicked satire, music, politics -- life and times in the USA -- then you'll be just fine. The finale is an astonishing, deeply layered fusion, both ambiguous and emphatic, of everything it develops throughout.

Alright, World on a Wire gets an a-okay Very Happy

And I'll make sure to get around to Nashville. Here's my to-watch list for this poll—
The Brood
The Deadly Trap
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Welfare
Mikey And Nicky
Nashville
I Spit On Your Grave
Carrie

The Long Goodbye
Coming Home
Jaws
Distant Thunder
The Garden of the Finzi-Continis
Cousin Jules
One Day Before the Rainy Season
The Petrified Forest
Minamata
My Ain Folk
The Seduction of Mimi
We Won't Grow Old Together
Pink Floyd: Live at Pompeii

Which... I think I'll be able to get around to at least a dozen of. I did a lot of my re-watches earlier this year.

Last edited by Hayden on 08/12/2023 19:53; edited 8 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/10/2023 14:33
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I would not have guessed AfterHours was such a big Peckinpah fan, but that's very cool. Duel as the top Spielberg film of the 70s...that is a hot take.

Anyway, I'm liking the lists so far. As per usual, I will hold off making a list until near the end, and just do little write-ups in the meantime.
Hayden wrote:
And I've never actually watched Carrie...
In that case, I'll give two cents worth of coverage on Brian De Palma in the 70s:

Get to Know Your Rabbit (1972) - A satire about a bored businessman, under the thumb of his annoying boss, who impulsively quits his 9-5 job to become a traveling tap dancer and magician, only to realize his new job also becomes mundane after a while. I like the premise and Orson Welles's character, though it fails to generate consistent humor.

Sisters (1973) - De Palma turned his attention away from comedy and into the thriller genre. Sisters has a clever script and some great suspense. This was also where we begin to see De Palma's Hitchcock influence. It's not perfect by any means, but it was a big step in the right direction.

Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - Love this movie. De Palma loosely adapted multiple literary works to create something wholly unique and his own, brilliantly mixing horror and musical. This movie doesn't seem like it should work, and yet somehow it does. A fun time indeed, and an easy choice for my list.

Obsession (1976) - De Palma's best movie of the 70s, hands down. Sisters and Phantom had a couple Hitchcock references, but Obsession is pure homage to Vertigo. But that is not a bad thing at all. De Palma was careful not to make it a Vertigo rip-off. Yes, he used similar shots and plot devices to the 1958 classic, but he used them in different ways to service a different script. The script was actually written by Paul Schrader, and we can see in this early film of his how he explored lonely middle-aged men dealing with trauma, something he would make a career out of. Anyway, Obsession may not be as brilliant as Vertigo, but that's a very tall order. And it is certainly a brilliant film in its own right, full of surprises and tension as any great thriller.

Carrie (1976) - An obvious rec for Mr. Hayden. I'm not sure what to add to what's already been said. It's a great Stephen King adaptation.

Brian De Palma has always been a director that's oddly eluded me, and I've never been able to pinpoint why. I've never watched some of his biggest tickets (Carlito's Way, Mission: Impossible, Carrie), I only got around to some other major works very recently (Scarface, Blow Out, Dressed To Kill — all in the last two years or so). I've also seen Passion and Body Double, and for some reason I watched The Untouchables in history class in high school (???) — haven't seen it since, but I think it was one of the first R-rated films I actually watched Laughing (due for a rewatch). He's never been a director I've had a desire to dive into, but he's also impossible to ignore.

Based on your (very helpful) breakdown of his 70s output, I'm most interested in the five above. (I'll get around to Carrie, it's a horror classic, essential, etc)— but Obsession is one I've never quite seen praised like that. Description sounds intriguing. It'll def go in the to-watch pile.

Phantom of the Paradise has always been acclaimed, but I've just... never seen it Anxious — always thought the premise sounded cheesy (or Baz Luhrmann-ish, who, as I think this forum knows, I can't stand). Hopefully I'm wrong.

Get to Know Your Rabbit sounds very much like my own life, so I may sue (I kid, I kid...)— interesting early insight into his pathway to his signature works though.
MadhattanJack
I mean, metal is okay, but...

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 02:48
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Phantom of the Paradise has always been acclaimed, but I've just... never seen it Anxious — always thought the premise sounded cheesy (or Baz Luhrmann-ish, who, as I think this forum knows, I can't stand). Hopefully I'm wrong.

Definitely cheesy, but I wouldn't call it Baz Luhrmann-ish. (I, too, can't stand Baz Luhrman movies...) It's more like The Rocky Horror Picture Show with substantially less cross-dressing and a slightly more coherent plot, mostly since the plot was adapted from better source material. Rocky Horror actually came out a year later, so it could almost be accused of ripping Phantom of the Paradise off a little bit, but of course they were both ripoffs of a third movie, namely Pink Floyd: The Wall — which for some reason didn't come out until 7 years later. So, a bit of a chronological mix-up there.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 22:49
  • Post subject:
well this project is reminding me that I really do like movies. I haven't really been watching many in recent years and I have been meaning to explore again and maybe I will sometimes soon. I was only able to put together a list of 30 I actually like on a scale of ADORE/TOP MOVIES EVER-to-This is quite good if I recall correctly.

Here it is:

1 Nashville
2 Mirror
3 Alien
4 Manhattan
5 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
6 Taxi Driver
7 Annie Hall
8 Cries And Whispers
9 Close Encounters of The Third Kind
10 Monty Python Life of Brian
11 The Godfather
12 Solaris
13 Stalker
14 The Godfather, Part II
15 Days and Nights In The Forest

16 Patton
17 The Conversation
18 Star Wars
19 Nosferatu The Vampyre
20 Autumn Sonata
21 Rocky
22 Jaws
23 Young Frankenstein
24 Aguire The Wrath of God
25 Distant Thunder
26 Badlands
27 Paper Moon

28 Fist of Fury
29 Fantastic Planet
30 Watership Down

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/11/2023 23:20
  • Post subject:
Another #1 for Nashville Surprised

... thinking I should get on that...

And thanks Mercury. Tallied. Hoping you add a few more before the deadline Smile — sorry to hear you're kinda in a funk... I know that's happened to a few people since the pandemic began.
AfterHours

• Posted: 06/12/2023 06:50
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I would not have guessed AfterHours was such a big Peckinpah fan, but that's very cool. Duel as the top Spielberg film of the 70s...that is a hot take.

Peckinpah is a long time favorite. I consider The Wild Bunch the greatest western ever made. My top 10 directors would probably include him (15 at worst). Something like below... (gets blurrier from about 7 down in that they could all be switched around in pretty much any order)

1. Orson Welles
2. Alfred Hitchcock
3. Andrei Tarkovsky
4. Ingmar Bergman
5. Theo Angelopoulos
6. Federico Fellini
7. Bela Tarr
8. Roman Polanski
9. Sam Peckinpah
10. Akira Kurosawa
11. Fritz Lang
12. Luis Bunuel
13. Francis Ford Coppola
14. Martin Scorsese
15. Stanley Kubrick

Duel is an interesting one because it's maybe Spielberg's "least Spielberg-ian" film, but it's just so tightly constructed and flawlessly executed even if it isn't as expansive thematically or display the same sort of ambition his future films would, and of course shows none of the child-like wonder several of his most iconic films would become known for.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/12/2023 19:25
  • Post subject:
Did they really censor EDIT "modify a scene" EDIT The French Connection on criterion channel? This is getting to be too much, fine whatever put content/historical warnings or such but don't make alterations especially if it's not even with the approval of those who actually made the movie.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/13/2023 01:20
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Did they really censor EDIT "modify a scene" EDIT The French Connection on criterion channel? This is getting to be too much, fine whatever put content/historical warnings or such but don't make alterations especially if it's not even with the approval of those who actually made the movie.

Ugh ... Confused

Missed this in the news. Assuming it's true? Bad call on CC.

If they did it with notice, maybe that's a little different, but... really wasn't their move to make.

Reminds me of that time Fox News censored a Picasso.