For comparison this is what a similar poll looked like for the 60s on RYM:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rengar18...ema-1960s/
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2024 16:43
  • Post subject:
I literally dreamed last night about looking at this list weeks too late lol. So now I’m finally looking at it IRL
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2024 16:32
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I literally dreamed last night about looking at this list weeks too late lol. So now I’m finally looking at it IRL

Laughing — subconscious reminder? Anywho— here it is—

mickilennial wrote:
For comparison this is what a similar poll looked like for the 60s on RYM:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Rengar18...ema-1960s/

Interestin. At the end of the day, it's an extraordinarily similar selection (just in a different order). When was this done? Last year or so? Can't find a date for some reason. Just mentions the last time was 2013.

Last Year At Marienbad is way higher than I would have expected it, but nothing against that. A lot of my notable omissions make an appearance here— Le Trou, Human Condition III, Onibaba, Rochefort, Samurai Rebellion— and An Autumn Afternoon, which drastically dropped off out list. I didn't expect Soy Cuba, The Saragossa Manuscript or Eros + Massacre to make our cut (they barely scraped by on RYM), but it would've been nice. I prefer our higher placements of The Apartment, Breathless, La Dolce Vita and Blowup though, and I'm surprised heavyweights like Kes, Judgment at Nuremberg and Rocco and His Brothers didn't make their cut.

cestuneblague wrote:
Yeah great job again Hayden, you're the man running these. All together excellent list with good variety of mainstream americana and international art-house favorites, obviously a few surprise omissions (I wonder if Red Beard's length turned some people off as that's the only reason I can see for it not making it (and I wouldn't think that woudl be as big a problem as say Sorrow and the Pity, and c'mon no Faster Pussycat? Absoutely seminal pervert Americana right there) but otherwise fun. The 60s indeed were fun to revisit, 1966 may be my vote for the greatest year ever in Cinema. However, there were plenty I didn't really get to so I have to save some future reccomendations perhaps when Im not on the road. Certainly ready to roll with the 1950s and so on, though I take it a break and probably a poll for 2023 (which I will having nothing to contribute) are probably on the docket next.

Thanks Cestuneblague Smile — being said, I don't think Red Beard's length dissuaded BEA. We've got some lengthy titles represented here. Might just not have been the group's cup of tea this time around— or possibly a film people haven' visited/revisited in a long time.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/03/2024 16:47
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
Thoughts:

- I've seen 98/100, War and Peace and My Fair Lady being the two outliers. That 60s poll on CF a couple years ago whipped me into shape, and I saw many films on this list, and my personal list, during that time.

- Hayden has never seen The Birds, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Planet of the Apes...why am I not surprised? Laughing

- I'll echo Hayden's recommendation for Le Trou, Onibaba, Letter Never Sent, Il Posto, and Yearning, all worthy of the Top 100 but were left out. At the same time, however, it was a rich decade with a lot to choose from, from all over the world. At a glance, it looks like half our list is non-English, so I don't think we skimped on Japanese, French, and Italian cinema. There was just too much to pick from to fit everything into a Top 100.

- Sorry Mercury that nothing from Satyajit Ray made it. FWIW, I voted for The Big City (1963). It was nice that he made the Shorts subcategory. I don't know why his Apu Trilogy overshadows the rest of his work. Ray made a lot worthwhile movies in his career, not just those three.

- I also find it interesting how little the Top 20-25ish changed from Version 1 to Version 2. The Top 3 didn't even move. Considering V1 was nearly 8 years ago, and there's been a change in the users who have participated, and those who participated in both are 8 years older and wiser, it's crazy how well the upper tier stood the test of time.

- This is second straight decade list where a truly great Bergman film just made the cutoff at #100. (Autumn Sonata in our 70s list)

- John Frankenheimer had not one, but two films on our new list, Seconds and Manchurian Candidate. He wasn't represented at all on V1. Manchurian Candidate is so freaking good.

- I probably prefer the new list by a smidge. They're both great.

(Chronologically)

I've seen 83/100, and, like you, two of those are My Fair Lady and War & Peace— and while me not having watched some of... erm... the more popular titles on the list doesn't surprise you Laughing , let me just toss a few of the others your way— Goldfinger, The Magnificent Seven, In Cold Blood & (gulp) West Side Story— ... Anxious (I'll get on them— one day—).

And yeah, we definitely didn't skimp on Japan, Italy or France by any means— and there's plenty to choose from and only 100 slots to fill— but that's also what makes the list a bit of fun. BEA usually veers slightly towards horror, which sometimes isn't represented as prominently as it should be elsewhere (albeit, suppose that would've made a case for Onibaba, but—). If every list was the same, well... who cares about making a new one.

I'll agree Satyajit Ray deserved at least one title to make the cut. My personal favourite of his 60s output is The Hero (around #50 on my submitted list— not to mention probably somewhere in my top 3 Ray—), but it didn't garner a lot of love elsewhere. The Big City would have also been an excellent choice. I watched Devi once a handful of years ago and remember not liking it too much, but can't remember why...

It's interesting— I don't think I'd watched a film by Frankenheimer when the first list rolled around. Only watched Seconds, The Train & The Manchurian Candidate in the past 3-5 years. (Maybe there were some recent Criterion restorations that persuaded me or something? Not sure—), either way, glad they made the cut. Believe it or not, Seconds was sitting comfortably in our top 10 for the first 1-2 months of the poll.
  • Visit poster's website
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 02/03/2024 20:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Interestin. At the end of the day, it's an extraordinarily similar selection (just in a different order). When was this done? Last year or so? Can't find a date for some reason. Just mentions the last time was 2013.

In 2022.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 02/05/2024 01:35
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I've seen 83/100, and, like you, two of those are My Fair Lady and War & Peace— and while me not having watched some of... erm... the more popular titles on the list doesn't surprise you Laughing , let me just toss a few of the others your way— Goldfinger, The Magnificent Seven, In Cold Blood & (gulp) West Side Story— ... Anxious (I'll get on them— one day—).
I think most English-speaking movie buffs are like me...their tastes begin with American and British mainstream, before venturing into non-English, indie, art-house, etc. You, on the other hand, are the other way around. You love Color of Pomegranates but have never seen The Birds. It's by no means a critique on your taste or habits; it's just...unique, interesting, personal. I can see why films such as The Birds, Goldfinger, and Planet of the Apes isn't everyone's cup of tea. They're kinda generic genre flair whose hype and popularity feels a little overblown.

Hayden wrote:
And yeah, we definitely didn't skimp on Japan, Italy or France by any means— and there's plenty to choose from and only 100 slots to fill— but that's also what makes the list a bit of fun. BEA usually veers slightly towards horror, which sometimes isn't represented as prominently as it should be elsewhere (albeit, suppose that would've made a case for Onibaba, but—).
The 60s weren't a strong period for horror in my opinion. Although Onibaba is an excellent Japanese horror, and sorely missing from our list, the single worst V1 casualty.

Hayden wrote:
I'll agree Satyajit Ray deserved at least one title to make the cut. My personal favourite of his 60s output is The Hero (around #50 on my submitted list— not to mention probably somewhere in my top 3 Ray—), but it didn't garner a lot of love elsewhere. The Big City would have also been an excellent choice. I watched Devi once a handful of years ago and remember not liking it too much, but can't remember why...
Movie-lovers rally around Ray's Apu Trilogy. However, he lacks consensus choices beyond that. And for whatever reason, he doesn't have the popularity and reputation of his 1950s and 1960s international contemporaries. That's why Ray was unfortunately shut out of the 60s list. Case in point, I voted for The Big City and Charulata (but not The Hero even though I still liked it), while Hayden voted for The Hero (but not TBC and Charulata). It's hard for them to land if they don't have enough mutual supporters.

Hayden wrote:
It's interesting— I don't think I'd watched a film by Frankenheimer when the first list rolled around. Only watched Seconds, The Train & The Manchurian Candidate in the past 3-5 years. (Maybe there were some recent Criterion restorations that persuaded me or something? Not sure—), either way, glad they made the cut. Believe it or not, Seconds was sitting comfortably in our top 10 for the first 1-2 months of the poll.
I'm noticing a pattern here. The 70s V1 had 0 by Peckinpah, while V2 had 3. The 60s V1 had 0 Frankenheimers, while V2 had 2. I can't say for sure if these happenings are related, but it would seem they are related. Both American directors were a little more technical than artistic, but they nonetheless gave us thought-provoking films, built around tough scripts, filled with action and suspense. It certainly appears Peckinpah and Frankenheimer were under-appreciated years ago, and are now getting some due respect.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/06/2024 10:55
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
nterestin. At the end of the day, it's an extraordinarily similar selection (just in a different order). When was this done? Last year or so? Can't find a date for some reason. Just mentions the last time was 2013.
Looks like votes took place in 2022 for that particular one.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2024 17:09
  • Post subject:
Not sure which is more surprising, no High And Low in version 1 or no An Autumn Afternoon in version 2? I think the fact we just didn't have a top 5 Kurosawa in version 1 is slightly more surprising. Then again with Ozu - such a luminary - having one generally recognized classic and his final outing in 1960s seems like a shoe-in. Similar feelings about Gertrud, but that's a less surprising omission.

Overall, yep my abiding love for The Apartment and Persona found many other like-minded fans and glad to see continued love for them.

The lack of Charulata and The Big City (The only 2 of Ray's I expected) is disappointing. Hard to say what is the root of this lack. Of the greats in world cinema to emerge in the 1950s (what a fun list that will be!!!! *hand rubbing coming out from behind tree Gif here) the one that perhaps has not maintained an air of legend quite as well as the others is Ray. I shall continue my preaching and see if I can help make him marginally more popular.

Also, I do agree with CA Dreamin's diagnosis of it being just a split vote situation. After the Apu trilogy there doesn't seem to be a particular consensus or near-universal choice for what his next go-to masterpiece is. I had thought that was Charulata. then I started seeing a lot of love for the Big City. But maybe I underestimated how much the opinions diverge after 1959 (1950s Apu Trilogy and to a lesser extent The Music Room get most the oxygen).

The other 2 automatic top 3 entries outside of Persona which I agree is perfect, I have always enjoyed but as of yet have not had that truly awed "a-ha!"-moment with - those being Psycho and 2001. It's similar with other films I respect that I don't yet or maybe never will conceptualize what it is that so thoroughly blows people's minds like Blade Runner or Parasite or 12 Angry Men or Shawshank Redemption.

the +18 and +62 on a couple Antonioni classics is great to see here as is the greatly increased love for Lawrence of Arabia. Also happy to see that Green "NEW" next to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg this time 'round. Although, outside of High and Low, this is also the most shocking omission from last version. Glad it's picked up some steam and hype the last few years. To Hayden's point Cherbourg and Rochefort should be on this list.

Otherwise, just a fun project and a great list and these sorts of community projects just, for some reason, cheer me up and get me excited about film and dialogs about films. Thanks, Hayden for helming these projects! It's appreciated and quite fun.

1950s when we get to it will be a Hitchcock, Kurusawa, Bergman, Wilder, and RAY (prayers - please lord make it so), explosion of greatness.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2024 01:59
  • Post subject:
Bach wrote:
In 2022.

mickilennial wrote:
took place in 2022 for that particular one.

Thanks Smile (so, comparable)

I'm a little disappointed (in general and in myself) that I wasn't able to participate a little bit more in this poll. I ended up being unexpectedly busy over the autumn/winter, and didn't have as much of an opportunity to revisit the decade as I did with the 70s, 80s & 90s. I really love 60s cinema— it's why my top 100 is... well, 150 films— and there's still so much left to uncover. I've made a watchlist of recs from the poll (whether or not they made the cut) that I'm hoping to get around to this year Mr. Green

Can confirm our next list will be the Best of 2023, followed by the 50s over the course of the summer. (Never too early to get started on some watches/rewatches though).

Last edited by Hayden on 02/08/2024 14:27; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/07/2024 02:11
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Not sure which is more surprising, no High And Low in version 1 or no An Autumn Afternoon in version 2? I think the fact we just didn't have a top 5 Kurosawa in version 1 is slightly more surprising. Then again with Ozu - such a luminary - having one generally recognized classic and his final outing in 1960s seems like a shoe-in. Similar feelings about Gertrud, but that's a less surprising omission.

The lack of Charulata and The Big City (The only 2 of Ray's I expected) is disappointing. Hard to say what is the root of this lack. Of the greats in world cinema to emerge in the 1950s (what a fun list that will be!!!! *hand rubbing coming out from behind tree Gif here) the one that perhaps has not maintained an air of legend quite as well as the others is Ray. I shall continue my preaching and see if I can help make him marginally more popular.

Also, I do agree with CA Dreamin's diagnosis of it being just a split vote situation. After the Apu trilogy there doesn't seem to be a particular consensus or near-universal choice for what his next go-to masterpiece is. I had thought that was Charulata. then I started seeing a lot of love for the Big City. But maybe I underestimated how much the opinions diverge after 1959 (1950s Apu Trilogy and to a lesser extent The Music Room get most the oxygen).

the +18 and +62 on a couple Antonioni classics is great to see here as is the greatly increased love for Lawrence of Arabia. Also happy to see that Green "NEW" next to The Umbrellas of Cherbourg this time 'round. Although, outside of High and Low, this is also the most shocking omission from last version. Glad it's picked up some steam and hype the last few years. To Hayden's point Cherbourg and Rochefort should be on this list.

Otherwise, just a fun project and a great list and these sorts of community projects just, for some reason, cheer me up and get me excited about film and dialogs about films. Thanks, Hayden for helming these projects! It's appreciated and quite fun.

1950s when we get to it will be a Hitchcock, Kurusawa, Bergman, Wilder, and RAY (prayers - please lord make it so), explosion of greatness.

High And Low not being on the first list is genuinely bizarre. Haven't a clue what happened there Laughing — I mean... it's almost always considered among the best films ever— and it's not like BEA doesn't like Kurosawa. Likewise the Jacques Demy snubs— I mean... does anyone here not like those films? Or maybe just haven't seen them? Absolute joys of cinema.

I've never ranked Ray's filmography— I admit, it's tricky— but perhaps the split was the issue? I consider The Hero among his best, but (if I remember correctly) the only list it appeared on was my own (I'll double check on that). I think my favourite by him would be Apur Sansar, but The Music Room, Arapajito and (aformentioned) The Hero are up there. Unfortunate circumstances, but the first time I ever watched Pather Panchali it was on a copy of such absolutely terrible quality that it put me off watching more Ray for at least 1-2 years. I figured Indian films from the 50s just looked beat as shit Laughing — happens suppose. Cheers to restorations. (Regarding Ray's 60s output, I've never seen The Coward, The Postmaster or Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne— the later of which has always intrigued me).
  • Visit poster's website