Hardcore

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:50
  • Post subject: Hardcore
http://www.factmag.com/2013/03/23/20-be...ever-made/

Okay so I just read the above article and decided I'm going to peruse the genre known as 'hardcore',I know fuck all about it and I'm going to use the above list as a primary source for albums.What I want from you lot is some other suggestions and possibly your top 5 hardcore records,why you like them,what I should be looking for in the genre,any key facts about the genre,cool bands up and coming on the 'scene',etc,etc.Please just don't name some albums,I'm new to this shit,give me a little more,help a brother out.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:55
  • Post subject:
My starters were

Bad Brains by Bad brains (debut)
Minor threat's Complete Discography (on one disk)
Black Flag's First Four years album
Circle Jerks - Group Sex
And....
I think the Dead Kennedys' Fresh Fruit for Rotting vegetables

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:56
  • Post subject:
I'm not too versed in hardcore either, but I would recommend Fucked Up and early Replacements as well.
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:57
  • Post subject:
And that book on the front of that article you linked. The American Hardcore book by Steven Blush is great. If you get your hands on that read it. That really have me a lot of great background on it.

• Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:57
  • Post subject:
Though I've neglected this chart for too long, I would direct you here

I think that list is alright, but not particularly good. My top 5 suggestions might be:

The Gun Club - Fire of Love
X - Los Angeles
Black Flag - My War
Flipper - Generic Album
Killing Joke - Killing Joke

However, that top 5 is also neglecting must-listen classics (like Damaged, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc.). Whatever you do, skip Earth A.D. and go for Static Age or Walk Among Us when you hit The Misfits.
Silver

• Posted: 03/25/2013 03:59
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:

I think that list is alright, but not particularly good. My top 5 suggestions might be:

X - Los Angeles
Black Flag - My War
Flipper - Generic Album

However, that top 5 is also neglecting must-listen classics (like Damaged, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc.). Whatever you do, skip Earth A.D. and go for Static Age or Walk Among Us when you hit The Misfits.

You consider Los Angeles a hardcore album? I guess I can sort of see that, but I've always just thought of it as a straight up punk album.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Post subject:
Husker Du-Zen Arcade
  • Visit poster's website
Borve Baunehoj

• Post subject:
CONVERGE CONVERGE CONVERGE CONVERGE

Edit: and The Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, Today Is the Day etc... real sick music
purple

• Posted: 03/25/2013 04:02
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
You consider Los Angeles a hardcore album? I guess I can sort of see that, but I've always just thought of it as a straight up punk album.

Both for sound and scene association, yes.

EDIT: Allow me to clarify, because a couple people feel like splitting hairs over subgenres. Hardcore culture really kickstarted not as a music scene but as a minor gang in Los Angeles to protect punk kids and punks (like The Gun Club and X) from an abusive older generation of what are now termed dadrockers (I literally could not make this up). Eventually, Black Flag and various other hardcore acts started popping up around LA and that's when this gang fully appropriated that music. Bands like Gun Club and X wanted to disassociate themselves from the scene because they didn't like the violence intimately connected with it, but they are intimately connected. LA hardcore is less about a sound that's purely rough and fast too, and more about a sound that took the punk of CBGB and began incorporating American roots music: you have rockabilly in X, blues in Gun Club, (Greg Ginn would say) jazz in Black Flag, surf in Agent Orange, etc. I hope that gets me off the hook for Gun Club and X

My War and Generic Album (from Bay area!) might also be called sludge acts, because they are heavier and slower than typical "hardcore" acts like Bad Brains or Minor Threat (which I might mention are from a totally different scene (D.C.) characterized by a totally different sound. But at this point you're really discussing the ship of Theseus because these are fundamentally punk bands with punk beginnings making the same music they did previously in a different tuning and slowed down two seconds. I mean, how do you bin bands in the progression from hardcore to sludge to grunge? That was a rhetorical question, because I would laugh at any definition you propose. Binning bands into genres is a feeling and I feel they are hardcore.

Lastly, Killing Joke. These guys are in fact usually labelled as post punk, largely because they were British, and hardcore tends to be an American thing while post punk seems to be a British thing. Unlike most post punk bands, Killing Joke also relied more on heavy straightforward riffs more than most, usually "atmospheric" post punk groups. I might be just as comfortable calling Gang of Four or The Fall hardcore. Again, I think it's a regional thing.

Ultimately, I'm just pissed that anyone thinks they know anything about genres. As I've called out Tekin on this before, philosophers of music have a difficult enough time making fundamental definitions to differentiate classical, jazz, and rock. What makes you think you could ever satisfactorily subdivide the subgebre genre of punk?

Last edited by purple on 03/25/2013 04:25; edited 2 times in total
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/25/2013 04:02
  • Post subject:
purple wrote:

X - Los Angeles
Black Flag - My War
Flipper - Generic Album

Great suggestions, but I don't see how those are hardcore. Fire of love never struck me as hardcore at all. But still one of my fave rexords. Black Flag My War was when they had changed their direction big time and had slowed down and beefed up their sound a lot. It's very metal-esque. Flipper I can see counting. Killing joke I don't know much about, but I never knew them as Hardcore. And X is pretty much the greatest Punk Band of all time in my opinion.... But I don't feel they are hardcore.
Fuck! I'm nit-picking and I'm annoying myself with my bullshit. I'm sorry purple. Sad those are great records.

• Visit poster's website