Album of the day (#880): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2013 20:20
  • Post subject:
What a great album. Unfortunately, I completely misunderstood the story the first time I gave it a listen (actually, I like my version better).

I was under the impression that Pink's father abandoned him and his mother at an early age, rather than died in the war. Then later when Pink is on tour in America and phones his wife and the operator says "Mrs. Floyd, your husband..." I was under the impression that that was Pink's father calling Pink's mother.

My version of the story completely disregards Pink's marriage and love life, leaving him even more empty, sheltered, and isolated.

And then on the second half of the album I saw a lot more of it as being hallucinations. I kind of figured that once he fully boxed himself in, he was at an asylum or something. And then there's the stint where he thinks he's a fascist dictator or whatever, and I saw that as him realizing how terrible the wall is and struggling to break out Brick wall , but realizing that if he did break out he wouldn't be able to function in society.

It's also super erie that the album begins how it ends, like it's all just a cycle...creepy.

Great album.
MrBrown

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2013 20:24
  • Post subject:
Such an immersive album, cant wait to see the movie.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2013 20:25
  • Post subject:
Never been able to honestly listen to this all the way through. Boring, uneven at times. Some great songs. Can't really have a full judgement as I have t fully heard it. Not a fan as of now.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/14/2013 20:46
  • Post subject:
In before LethalNezzle's criticism.

But yeah, this album's pretty alright, in my opinion. Nothing special
KinkyAfro

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/14/2013 20:53
  • Post subject:
The guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is one of the best around, not too flashy, just brilliant.

The rest of the album doesnt do anything for me, listened to it again for the first time in years when I found this site, due to the amount of praise it gets I thought I must be missing something, but havent changed my mind. Prefer Animals to this, and im not a big fan of that either.
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:04
  • Post subject:
Oh yeah, Joj's least favorite album! Well, this will definitely not sound cool, but I think it's a masterpiece. Then again, I am emotionally connected to it since it was the first album I owned, as a present. I had also misinterpreted the story, thinking that the second disc was actually taking place in Nazi Germany AND falling into the trap believing that Comfortably Numb was a song about drug addiction, what a noob I was Laughing I haven't counted exactly how many times I have listened to it, although I think as of now TDSOTM is the one by Floyd I have given the most spins, but anyway, to the album business... It takes the trickery they used again in TDSOTM, integrating it to a stricter concept/central story and while there is the inevitable occasional filler, it all fits so amazingly together I can't question it. Comfortably Numb is easily among their finest songs, with other favorites including both In The Flesh, the first two parts of Another Brick In The Wall, Goodbye Blue Sky and Run Like Hell. I can see why a number of people dislike it for being pompous or sounding self-important, but among the reasons I fall for this is exactly this type of attitude: This is a team of musicians reaching for the sky, having gained an amazing amount of experience. Probably the amount of effort in this justifies the fact that everything they did afterwards was received as their worst work: sometimes (not always), inspiration just fades away.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:12
  • Post subject:
jamessmith77 wrote:
The guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb is one of the best around, not too flashy, just brilliant.

The rest of the album doesnt do anything for me, listened to it again for the first time in years when I found this site, due to the amount of praise it gets I thought I must be missing something, but havent changed my mind. Prefer Animals to this, and im not a big fan of that either.

It's funny, I totally agree that Comfortably Numb is fantastic, but I actually think that it doesn't really belong on the album. I think it's a great standalone, but I think it kind of breaks the flow of the album, and doesn't do much with the story.

I really can't decide if it should go somewhere else in the album or not be in the album at all. Either way, it's probably my favorite Pink Floyd song.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:15
  • Post subject:
I enjoy this album, though it's not as good as either DSOTM or WYWH.

People often say the second half is much weaker, but I don't really hear it. It gets a lot weirder and darker, but that's in reflection of how the story progresses.
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:30
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
Oh yeah, Joj's least favorite album! Well, this will definitely not sound cool, but I think it's a masterpiece. Then again, I am emotionally connected to it since it was the first album I owned, as a present. I had also misinterpreted the story, thinking that the second disc was actually taking place in Nazi Germany AND falling into the trap believing that Comfortably Numb was a song about drug addiction, what a noob I was Laughing I haven't counted exactly how many times I have listened to it, although I think as of now TDSOTM is the one by Floyd I have given the most spins, but anyway, to the album business... It takes the trickery they used again in TDSOTM, integrating it to a stricter concept/central story and while there is the inevitable occasional filler, it all fits so amazingly together I can't question it. Comfortably Numb is easily among their finest songs, with other favorites including both In The Flesh, the first two parts of Another Brick In The Wall, Goodbye Blue Sky and Run Like Hell. I can see why a number of people dislike it for being pompous or sounding self-important, but among the reasons I fall for this is exactly this type of attitude: This is a team of musicians reaching for the sky, having gained an amazing amount of experience. Probably the amount of effort in this justifies the fact that everything they did afterwards was received as their worst work: sometimes (not always), inspiration just fades away.

This. I owned it early on, too. It da bes, just like Kitty Pryde.

Also, the movie was EXTREMELY innovative, combining art-house and MTV editing styles, before the latter became popular.
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 04/14/2013 21:38
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Also, the movie was EXTREMELY innovative, combining art-house and MTV editing styles, before the latter became popular.

Need to check it out, although I didn't like Parker's Midnight Express (very different movies, yes, but just wanted to point out the admittedly dumb reason I haven't checked this out yet).