It's finally happened

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/17/2013 12:31
  • Post subject: It's finally happened
I'm not sure why out of all the times, but it's finally happened. I mean as crazy as it may seem it has finally come to pass (not a kidney stone). The thing about me is that you have to remember, I'm that one guy that everyone claims to be a contrarian (partially true).

Now before you go ahead and start calling me insane, I'd like to give you a little history before explaining this situation here. Previous to this there have been bands that everyone loves, and I never seem to get (e.e Radiohead, Beatles, U2, and etc.). Throughout my time on BEA it seems most of these bands are slated as some of the best bands on the block, the major forces in music. It's a bit crazy considering I love a lot of what's popular around here, despite me rarely talking about it. You know, obviously there's those bands I'll always hate no matter what, but when I look at music I dislike, I can't find much that I actually do dislike which is why I really can't understand why I dislike something.

Now, why the heck is this thread even mentioning my past history with all these big bands and etc. Well the point here is that there's this one album that I used to despise, and I mean utterly hate. Probably one of the worst albums I've ever listened. It was horrid, but I could never understand why I felt that way about it. I just assumed that I just didn't like it, but well let me go ahead that I have just finished this album for perhaps the tenth time, and I now love it. It's so great to know this because I can now join the BEAlluminati (this was one requirement I didn't have before).

Anyways, what the fuck is this album I speak of? Well I don't know, look at the picture below if you really want to understand:

It's fucking OK Computer. Now why the fuck do I love it all of sudden and why am I this happy to write a whole thread about it? Let me explain my past experiences with this now great album. In the past, I have no idea how I went about listening to this album, but no matter what I ended up being bored as hell. I'm not sure why, I never understood why the heck this album is so boring to me or what's different about now than before.

Let's see then. I had just finished an album by Sun Ra (check him out if you haven't already) called Jazz in Silhouette, and well I was kind of in a more exploration type mood than anything I guess. I listened to a few Radiohead singles from their earlier years. "Anyone Can Play Guitar" still has one hell of a chorus, and "Pop is Dead" is a pretty fun song to listen to. After those two singles I decided to give OK Computer another chance. i was in a bit more of an optimistic mood than anything, but basically I just finished it and I realize just what you guys mean when it's great. I'll explain my journey

Let's start with Airbag -

Previously I took this as a more "Bittersweet Symphony" sounding type song. You know, I thought I heard it as a more britpop song than anything, but this time around it made quite a different impression on me. What impression had it made? Well, the song I thought about while listening to it was "Take a Picture" by Filter.

This song (in my opinion) takes the sounds I love from both the alternative side of music as well as the pop side of music and adds some really great atmosphere to it. Although Airbag only sounds slightly similar to the song above, I feel both these songs have succeeded in taking some of my favorite features in both these genres and creating a wonderful atmosphere for the combination of those genres.

Paranoid Android -

This song somehow struck me as different as well as far as impressions go. The guitar playing reminds me a lot of another song I love deeply, and that is "Girl You'll be a woman soon" by Urge Overkill. A really spanish (and this term is used because I can't find a better way to explain this) sounding guitar throughout the songs. Now there's obviously a huge difference in sound, but when I think of a song during Paranoid Android I think of the guitar from Girl you'll be a woman soon. Now, obviously Paranoid Android takes a really different turn halfway throughout the song with a really badass rift. It even has a really badass ending, and I can truly appreciate the change in song because it' really amazing. I can understand why everyone loves this song cause it's great.

Subterranean Homesick Alien -

Really, this song is a bit trippy to be honest. I especially enjoyed the keyboards (I think that's what they are), but it really doesn't stick out, and I can't quite compare it to anything, not only that, but i can never quite remember it. A pretty good track, but not memorable.

Exit Music (For A Film) -

Really, this is probably one of the most beautiful songs on the albums. A very soft opening to the song, and I'm glad it has a really enjoyable build up throughout the song. When it starts to take a more "evil" twist to it, it just puts the lyrics into a much better perspective. The crazy part about this song is that the emotion just displays the lyrics itself. It truly captures the essence of musical emotion within lyrics, and probably my second favorite song on the album.

Let Down -

This is the track that stood out most for me in the album. Probably my favorite song on the album though. It's just so great. Let me explain why. It's just a beautiful tracks. The instrumental is just a very sad one throughout the song, and I just love it. This song takes probably some of the best instrumental around and makes the vocals amazing. It's a 2 way street though. The vocals are amazing because the instrumental suits it well, and the instrumental is great because the vocals suit it well, and to be honest this track almost got me tearing up a bit this time, not because it's sad or any of that sappy type stuff, but rather because it's a beautiful track, and I just love the outro to this, they couldn't have made it anymore perfect.

Karma Police -

A bit darker of a track I guess. Can't remember this one to be honest. I remember not being a big fan of it.

Fitter Happier -

Horrible by itself, a great way to bridge two songs together.

Electioneering -

Thanks to the ending of Fitter Happier this song didn't come in so oddly. It's a really rocking out song with a great instrumental to it. If anything this song just proves how well Radiohead can create a very catchy tune. Other than that I can't think of much, the vocals are alright, but I really don't think they fit well with the song.

Climbing Up The Walls -

I'm actually not a big fan of this track. To be honest I really love when bands go and try for a more "desolate" type sound in a song, but this (I believe) tries to go for that sound and makes it very boring. I can say this however that it doesn't make it a bad song at all. I just can't get into like the rest of this album, it's nowhere near as energetic as the rest of the album is and it just really bores me, but I can't saw I dislike how it sounds. Also, it really doesn't have much else that Radiohead seems to be great at in this album, and that's creating emotion in a song.

No Surprises -

Just a very sad and beautiful sound throughout. It's more of comforting song than anything. When listening to this I just feel like I'm pretty comforted in the warmth of something, and that just makes this song very beautiful. If anything I'd compare this to my favorite track on this album, just not quite as emotional.

Lucky -

Has the same problem as Climbing up the walls, but the outro is pretty dope.

The Tourist -

And now for the finally of this album. This album has taken us through a pretty long journey and now I'm gonna have to tell you this. The last track (this one) has the same problem as Lucky or Climbing up the walls. They try to go for this more "desolate" sound that they seem to want to perfect, but the problem is it just comes off as boring. And all the while they're taking away their best features and that's creating some beauty or creating some emotion in the song. But, I can't fault it that much, it's boring, but it's got an overall nice sound to it. I can't say it's a bad track, I just think they could have done better with tracks like these.

I would like to say the lyrics aren't as great as people say (in my opinion), they definitely have some highlights, but I think the lyrics are good, just not great. Anyways, I just don't understand why now all of a sudden I like it. I guess it was more of the mindset than anything. I don't know. I now like this album. There you go! btw 80/100. Amnesiac is still shit though

Anyways, since I was so overjoyed to make this thread, why not just post experiences you've had like this?
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 04/17/2013 13:00
  • Post subject:
lol he likes ok computer what a pleb
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 04/17/2013 13:03
  • Post subject:
Good for you that you suddenly like it! I was slow to like it myself, and it took me great deal of listening to understand what Radiohead was all about.

I guess a good example in my case is Metallica's "...And Justice For All". For the longest time I didn't understand what was supposedly so great about it. I'd already gotten into their other 80s albums (after getting into the band itself with "Load") and the Black Album, but I thought "..Justice" was just not as catchy or magical. Well, after a year and a half of trying, it finally clicked with me, and ever since and 15 years later, it's still my favourite Metallica album. Smile Sometimes it's obviously worth trying even if the initial experience can be frustrating. Then you have those albums that seem promising in the beginning, but after a while they just get worse and worse for each listen. So it can go both ways.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2013 13:12
  • Post subject:
Cool man! I agree.

I suppose after you thoroughly absorb this one you'll be ready for Kid A and In Rainbows and The Bends.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 04/17/2013 13:52
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
lol he likes ok computer what a pleb
  • Visit poster's website
oldehamme

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2013 13:52
  • Post subject:
Perhaps one day I'll have this experience with Neutral Milk Hotel.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2013 14:06
  • Post subject:
context and prejudices are powerful forces when experiencing music. A lot of big time music writers throw so much emphasis on the backstory that it appears that the music itself has no value of its own. Bon Iver's debut is a specific case where backstory became more relavent than the music within reviews. And I loved that record. But that sort of crap will really turn off a lot of people from the music. Hell, I know that my hatred for the Eagles was elevated by watching Big Lebowski too many times to count.

Much respect for giving OK Computer multiple chances, and acknowledging your changing of opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/17/2013 14:32
  • Post subject: Re: It's finally happened
Happymeal wrote:
Airbag -

Previously I took this as a more "Bittersweet Symphony" sounding type song.

Speechless
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/17/2013 14:37
  • Post subject: Re: It's finally happened
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:
Speechless

You can't be speechless, you just said something!
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 04/17/2013 14:55
  • Post subject:
I am always glad to hear stuff like this, whether I personally like the album or not. It is a moment when your natural instinct or spirit for some, connected with another artist's. Sometimes we are so caught up in blah that we don't allow ourselves to go there. Isn't this really why we love music?

This may sound hippy, but I don't care, that's really what happens in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website