Album of the day (#890): American Idiot by Green Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
useless

• Posted: 04/25/2013 06:59
  • Post subject:
I will try to defend this album as well. They are definitely looking up to The Who, Homecoming alone proves this. In terms of lyrics, it's true that it does not achieve as much depth as its ambition would suggest (except maybe Wake Me Up When September Ends)-sometimes they are even silly. But as far as guitar-bass-drums albums go during the '00s, this one works and it's really professional and well made. Their enthusiasm is genuine enough and even the context of the (somewhat hazy) "story" matches the music well. There is definitely some filler towards the album's middle part (not St. Jimmy though, which is among the finest moments), but a lot less than some others would suggest and the good moments really make up for this. After all, I think that the serious faults I could blame to this record are the second sentence of my text and the fact that it rarely escapes the guitar-bass-drums routine to achieve something more, but being this good for what it wants to achieve is more than noteworthy. Strangely enough, I think I am among the few persons in here who had not connected their adolescence with this one-back then actually I was even holding indifferent feelings towards their music besides Basket Case (although I really didn't know much about them), but listening to this all these years after its first release it strikes me as I can't pretend it's not a remarkably strong effort despite its flaws. That said, I have not listened to Dookie yet to make comparisons.
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/25/2013 10:04
  • Post subject:
joshtraina wrote:
lol name 5

The Joshua Tree, Amnesiac, Revolver, Nevermind, Funeral.
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 04/25/2013 14:27
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

No way, 4 of them is in my top50
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 04/25/2013 14:29
  • Post subject:
SingingPeasant96 wrote:
No way, 4 of them is in my top50

lol @ ur lif
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 15:10
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

To say American Idiot is greater than Revolver is asinine. Like ridiculously...unless of course you just don't like Revolver, in which case fine. That's your opinion. It's just kinda ridiculous, IMO.

The rest of those are also better albums, considerably, than American Idiot... But saying that about Revolver is absurd!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/25/2013 15:15
  • Post subject:
This album is a perfect example of what can go wrong when a limited band has ideas above their station.
ProfessorSquid

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 15:19
  • Post subject:
joshtraina wrote:
lol name 5

Not easy, but The Wall, Led Zeppelin IV, Absolution, Back in Black, and Rumours are all pretty questionable members of the Top 100. Even still American Idiot doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Top 100.

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:40
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
This is one of those albums that, for some reason, I really wanted to hate. I know a lot of people who talk about American Idiot like they SHOULD hate it. But the more I hear this, the better it is. Are they trying to be The Who? I don't know...but it is good to see a rock band actually being prolific and taking chances. American Idiot IS taking chances. It's a big step outside of the box for a band like this. They've proven to be a hard working and prolific little band. I have to respect that.

The songs that used to sound forced and tinny keep sounding better every time I hear this. It's actually well written and well conceived. And it's one of those albums that it's cool to hate. But I like it more with each listen.

Basically this. Some of the material doesn't really measure up, but overall it is a pretty respectable accomplishment.

Also, for anyone accusing them of trying to be The Who:

American Idiot >>>>> Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>> Tommy
ProfessorSquid

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:54
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
American Idiot >>>>> Quadrophenia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>> Tommy

Let's just say that none of them are very good. I tend to think that if a current concept album is of the same quality as an older concept that the older concept album gets the benefit of the doubt. I say this because current bands should be smart enough to recognize what nonsense previous concepts albums were. It's not an idea that should one should try to improve upon, it's an idea that should be abandoned.

• Posted: 04/25/2013 17:57
  • Post subject:
ProfessorSquid wrote:
Let's just say that none of them are very good. I tend to think that if a current concept album is of the same quality as an older concept that the older concept album gets the benefit of the doubt. I say this because current bands should be smart enough to recognize what nonsense previous concepts albums were. It's not an idea that should one should try to improve upon, it's an idea that should be abandoned.

Woah there, good kid, m.A.A.d city was amazing.