Rules and Questions- Best New Millenial Album Tournament

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Saoirse

• Posted: 04/24/2013 22:25
  • Post subject: Rules and Questions- Best New Millenial Album Tournament
Since Ive been bed-ridden today Ive managed to get this tournament's matches all organized, and Ill unveil the matchups in another thread, but I wanted to keep that and one discussing the rules and answering any questions one user might have seperate to make them easier to organize and navigate.

In general, this should be a pretty easy-to-understand Knock-out tournament, where there will be 8 different brackets and 128 albums in the competition overall, and each match has two albums competing against each other (pretty obvious but good to clarify anyways).

Some basic guidlines, expectations, what not for the tournament

1. If you nominated an album, you're not required to do anything, but if you did nominate here it would be great if you could lead the promotion and cheerleading of your selected album in it's match, be it posting songs, writings on the album or youtube performances/interviews what have you, just don't completely spam up the thread (apparently ask people from teh GARY era and they can give you an example of what Im talking about). However, it's not limited to the nominating user to promote an album, if there's a favorite album you didn't nominate personally by all means help out in promotion. Getting involved will be vital, especially if your album is not as widely heard as it's opponent.

2. This is where Im open to suggestions. When it comes to how the poll is set up, Im not sure about either putting the poll up right away or to perhaps give a 12-to-24 hour window like the Best Year tournament in order to give users time to "digest" the choices and catch up on some listening. Also I plan to have the poll up for or four and five days time, though that might be too little or too long. I plan on making them all timed polls, in case I cant make it to BEA in time when the polling period ends, though Im not sure how to do a tie-breaker as that would inevitably happen at least a few times. All of these are more than open to user feeback.

3. I put all the album choices in a randomizer and made the brackets by going eg 1-2, 17-18, 35-36 and so on. After all the bracket finals have been completed, however, Im not sure the fairest way to set up the semi-final matches. Probably will put the bracket numbers in a randomizer as well, but if anybody has any good ideas I am more than open to any suggestions.

Other than that, I think it's pretty self-explanatory. Obviously just try to catch up on what you haven't heard yet and think of ways to best promote your favorite albums. I likely wont be starting this till next week despite having the matches all organized cause I want to make sure people have a good listening window an perhaps give me some time to craft the VS posts (in between two jobs), but otherwise hope to see everybody get active and excited about the whole thing once the games begin. Féach tú ag na rásaí ^_^
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2013 22:28
  • Post subject:
I think a "digestion" period would be good, that way a user who hasn't heard a particular album in a matchup can listen to before they vote, it'll help alleviate the "I don't know that album I'm voting against it" syndrome

Also thanks for organizing this Saoirse!
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 04/24/2013 22:50
  • Post subject:
Sounds fun... been a while since we've had a good tourney.
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/24/2013 23:00
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
I think a "digestion" period would be good, that way a user who hasn't heard a particular album in a matchup can listen to before they vote, it'll help alleviate the "I don't know that album I'm voting against it" syndrome

^^^
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2013 23:04
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:

This.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 04/24/2013 23:07
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I'm all for a digestion period, loading my iPod with the albums I have right now.
Looking forward to it.

Great job organising this Saoirse, and for the solid use of Irish also! Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
Madadude

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2013 23:07
  • Post subject:
Sounds great, 4-5 days seems long enough for a specific poll, how many are you going to do at a time? Obviously it isn't one or that would take over a year.

Watch Funeral be against Kid A in the first round.
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 04/24/2013 23:08
  • Post subject:
Okay that sounds like the right way to do it. Ill keep an approximately 24 hour period open for each match and then keep the polls open for four days. I do want to get involved with cheerleading my favorites as well so I do want to make the polls timed to make sure there are no accusations of bias in regards to when Im closing down polls, so I will probably make it timed, but am open to any ideas about how to do a tie-breaker.
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/25/2013 14:49
  • Post subject:
Do not forget that since it the same albums competing all the way to the end, it might be a good idea to make the early rounds longer and make the latter rounds faster. The first round is where you the most albums and are more likely to have not heard some, this is where the discoveries occur. In all latter rounds, the number of albums will be cut in two and I expect that an album that has survived rounds is more likely to have been listened to unless people vote with bothering to listen to an album.

It might give the impression this tourney will go on forever at first but basically the first round should be 50% of the duration of the tourney (or maybe even more) since everything can roll much better once a first listen occurred.

On of my album is going against Funeral so I have no hope in hell it will win and that is OK but if this tourney would lead a few people to give this album a try even if they vote overwhelmingly for Funeral that would still be a little win for the album and the listener (I myself will likely even vote Funeral, lol!!!)

So my recommendation is: start at a snail's pace, end like a lion!!!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Robert Anton Wilson
Epic Proghead

Canada

• Posted: 04/25/2013 14:50
  • Post subject:
Oh yeah and,

Thanks for taking this on.

Much appreciated.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website