Underrated Albums In Your Chart

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:20
  • Post subject: Underrated Albums In Your Chart
In this forum, we experience a lot of talk about the most beloved albums on BEA. These are usually albums most of us are familiar with and have already developed opinions of.

I was thinking today, it might be fun if we all name an album in our Chart that has in general gone ignored, and discuss why we think everyone here should give the album a listen.

There's quite a few on my chart that I can think of, but I'll start this all off with:

Kaada - "Thank You For Giving Me Your Valuable Time"
overall rank - #13,866
Released - 2001 (Norway)

Since the moment I heard Kaada, I fell in love. "Thank You For Giving Me Your Valuable Time" approached the cut & paste production style of artists like DJ Shadow & RJD2 from a fresh perspective. Combining samples of Conway Twitty with lost a doo-wop treasure, "Care" wouldn't feel out of place on a David Lynch soundtrack. It's twisted but poppy, collaged but cohesive. Not quite on the level of perfection that The Avalanches reached on Since I Left You, but I still think it's great.

Recommended tracks: Care, Burden, No You Don't

Link

• Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:24
  • Post subject: Re: Underrated Albums In Your Chart
meccalecca wrote:
I was thinking today, it might be fun if we all name an album in our Chart that has in general gone ignored, and discuss why we think everyone here should give the album a listen.

2 options. First of all, for anyone who's heard Bat and loved it, go for the second. It's free on YT.

Also, order Legacy: A Tribute to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. It's not on par with Rumours, but it has catchy covers. A few of the sonfs are on YT, so try them out before buying the album. Look up:

Dreams - The Corrs
The Chain - Shawn Colvin
Elton John - Don't Stop

Btw, if you buy it, you can skip Go Your Own Way by the Cranberries. They practically ruined the song with the lead vocalist's voice.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:30
  • Post subject:
If you like progressive Jazz, or think you might like jazzy covers of songs you definitely know, check out The Bad Plus. I suggest the album Suspicious Activity? for original content, and Prog for both original content and covers. "Tom Sawyer" (off Prog) and "Smells like Teen Spirit" (off These Are the Vistas or The Bad Plus/Motel) are two of their best covers. "1980 World Champion", "Physical Cities" (both off Prog) and "Anthem for the Earnest" (off Suspicious Activity?) are some of their best original songs.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:31
  • Post subject:
Not sure if many of you guys have heard Heartworm by Whipping Boy, one of my favourite Irish albums.

Here's a taste of it.

Link

• Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:33
  • Post subject:

This is one hell of a good psychedelic rock album. They use a ton of different instruments and the whole album just has this awesome far east feel to it. Anton Newcombe is a genius.

Rank in 1990s 1,287 Overall Rank: 5,841

Link

Last edited by Cymro2011 on 05/15/2013 16:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:34
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
If you like progressive Jazz, or think you might like jazzy covers of songs you definitely know, check out The Bad Plus. I suggest the album Suspicious Activity? for original content, and Prog for both original content and covers. "Tom Sawyer" (off Prog) and "Smells like Teen Spirit" (off These Are the Vistas or The Bad Plus/Motel) are two of their best covers. "1980 World Champion", "Physical Cities" (both off Prog) and "Anthem for the Earnest" (off Suspicious Activity?) are some of their best original songs.

Yes. Thanks for reminding me of these guys. I haven't listened in forever. Their cover of The Pixies "Velouria" is incredible. Such an original group.
  • Visit poster's website
yourself

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:36
  • Post subject:
But which album to choose from my chart when there are so many unjustly ignored albums?

I guess I'll continue on my Boxhead Ensemble babbling

The album Two Brothers is one of the greatest things ever.

Basically they sit at this weird but really original crossroads between post-rock, ambient, drone, chamber music, and folk/americana. Their songs are long droney seemingly improvised things that flitter about in suspended time like the best ambient music, but also contain hints of achingly beautiful folk melodies and chords. The way melodic fragments float around makes the texture somewhere in between melody less ambient and freeform polyphony. The Cello and violin's have an incredible evocative folky timbre to them. Evrything thing sounds like this heartwarming sepia-tinged memory of past times.

I don't understand how their music can be so ignored when The Dirty Three and Godspeed You! Black Emperor get plenty of acclaim from critics (The Boxhead ensemble are prettier and more emotionally powerful than both imo), not to mention the hoards of generic crescendo post rock bands.

Also members of Wilco and The Dirty Three played on this album, so like listen to the damn thing if you can find it:

Link
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:38
  • Post subject:
Christ, not another one of these threads.
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:39
  • Post subject:
Beat Mark - Howls Of Joy

I first heard about these guys when I seen the video for Purple Glow(see below) and instantly fell in love,after spending a couple of hours searching the web I found a DL of the album in question and listened straight through 3 times in a row and a few dozen times over the next week.

Link

This record is 13,3 minute indie pop songs drenched in surf and garage influences that cry out to be listened to on long sunny days,which is why I chose this album,just in time for summer.It's not entirely original,some would complain it's derivative and draws very heavily from pretty much every era of british pop music,but fuck them,this is unadulterated fun that makes you want to dance and sing.This record will worm it's way into your head and never leave,it will but a smile on your face whenever you think of it and is impossible to dislike.

Link

This album is absent of abstract qualities and doesn't try to be something it's not,it won't be cited for creating a new movement in music and at three years old it's time has probably passed,but once you listen you won't be able to live without it.This album will waft through my garden almost constantly this summer and I wouldn't have it any other way.It's fucking perfect.

If you want a DL link hmu in a pm.

Last edited by GeevyDallas on 05/15/2013 17:18; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
yourself

• Posted: 05/15/2013 16:41
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Christ, not another one of these threads.

Much better than babbling about the same bands over and over.

and this is different, meccalecca didn't ask us to list a bazillion things, he asked to pick one and talk about why we thought it deserves to be listened to, which is a great idea.