Albums you feel are the most underrated.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CubaZed

• Posted: 02/19/2014 20:05
  • Post subject: Albums you feel are the most underrated.
I think most of us would say that the overall album chart is a fair and accurate reflection of good musical trends over the years. However, every so often, you see an album that was popular and good enough to have been ranked higher but isn't. What do you feel are the most underrated albums on this site compared to the overall chart?
Precedent

• Posted: 02/19/2014 20:15
  • Post subject:
Basically every album on my chart that's not in the Top 1000

To name a few:

Drake's Take Care
Death Cab For Cutie's We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes
Freelance Whales' Weathervanes
fun.'s Aim And Ignite
A$AP Rocky's LONG.LIVE.A$AP
Kacey Musgrave's Same Trailer Different Park
samistake2ice
General Grievous Angel

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2014 21:39
  • Post subject:
Precedent wrote:
Basically every album on my chart that's not in the Top 1000

yep...

I did recently notice that Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood was ranked 834th. I think that's pretty low.

Check out my new review/pop-culture site MAD DISTRACTION
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 02/19/2014 22:08
  • Post subject:
Completely agree with the Drake, Death Cab for Cutie, fun. and Stevie Ray Vaughn records. Even to be moved into the top 20 for the year would be enough for me.

One album I had a huge problem with being ranked so low was Heligoland by Massive Attack. Amazing record (probably their third best) but it's outside the top 50 of 2010.
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/19/2014 22:43
  • Post subject:

Diary by Sunny Day Real Estate
Easily this. It's often considered to be one of the best "emo" records ever made. It was created by one of Sub Pop's most successful and influential bands. Behind all of that, it's still an amazing records with lots of emotion and great lyrics... but it's still not even in our top 500.

• Posted: 02/19/2014 23:02
  • Post subject:
Everything is underrated by somebody's standards. I've seen people argue here that Beatles albums are underrated. The fact that Dopesmoker by Sleep isn't in our top 1800 is incredible to me. Reggae as a whole is massively underrated here, but particularly Gregory Isaacs' More Gregory, which is probably the greatest lovers rock album of all-time and yet is still outside our top 4000. Harald Grosskopf's Synthesist is outside the top 5000, and yet I think it's a better record than any other German synth experimentalists ever managed to create. Also, Mr. Fingers' Ammnesia is the best acid house record ever and sits outside the top 8000. Everything by Steve Reich that isn't Music For 18 Musicians is massively underappreciated. Hammock Style by Ganger is somehow outside the top 8000, despite being one of my favourite post-rock records (and much more fun than anything Sigur Ros or Godspeed ever did). Theo Parrish is a house music legend whose soulful, minimal hypnotic take on the genre can't earn him a spot in the top 10000. UGK are one of the greatest hip-hop groups ever, and yet their highest album is outside the top 3500. In fact, two of their masterpieces are outside the top 10000 (with another just inside it by a whisker), including their debut which is inexplicably ranked outside the top 18000. Two of my favourite hip-hop albums of last year (well, favourite albums in any genre to be honest), Jonwayne's Rap Album One and Kevin Gates' amazing The Luca Brasi Story, aren't even in BEA's top 800 of 2013. The Impressions (The fucking Impressions!) don't have an album inside the overall top 5000. And the album which single-handedly invented dub, the skeletal, bone-shuddering masterpiece that is Keith Hudson's Pick A Dub, sits somewhere on our rankings at around 15000.

But yeah, I guess Sunny Day Real Estate are sort of underrated.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/19/2014 23:03
  • Post subject:
Manic Street Preachers - Rewind The Film - Should be higher than Postcards From A Young Man.
Sparks - Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins - Gas the best Sparks song ever and as revilazing for Sparks as Lil' Beethoven became. While Lil' Beethoven is a few thousand from the top spot, this album is more than 4 times further from Lil' Beethoven when they should be more level at least.
Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's Heroes At least 3 songs as great as Suspect Device and a strong set as well. Somehow below 10,000 right now. If you love 'Inflammable Material' and have it in the top 20 of your chart I believe you'll definitely enjoy this one enough to put on your chart. Stiff Little Fingers are more than just one album!
Idlewild - 100 Broken Windows - Should be regarded as a classic. Ended up with a half hearted sort of classic sort of not status. This is the best British guitar album in the wilderness between Britpop's death in the gutter and the release of the debuts from Kasabian, Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs (or 2004-2005). Travis was arguably the most popular current UK guitar act going when this was released and The Man Who is in the 800's here. This album is underrated unless it reaches the top 1000 or at the very least swims closer underneath.
Subhumans 29:29 Split Vision -Good on you if you listened to The Day The Country Died! Smile Had a good time with it? Got the whole in your face Sex Pistols vibe hasn't it? Well this album took the Subhumans places far more imagnative than that one. It's loaded full of ideas without forgetting what made 'The Day...' a great album, catchy songs you can scream and shout along to. Again, this a must listen if you love the album before it.
The Cribs - In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull - So you believe Men's Needs was annoying? You didn't like the song or the album. You've wrote this band off as another Pigeon Detectives or The Enemy for whatever reason and when you heard about this 2012 album in the music news (supposing you even did) you thought "HA! They are still going!? It's not 2007 anymore lads!". Just please give The Cribs 5th album a shot. For an_outlaw. I believe something wonderful was made here. I believe in this album.
Tasmin Archer - Great Expectations - Sleeping Satellite is a wonderful song. This album contains 10 other wonderful songs. Amazing singer!
Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life - I don't even know what to say for this album. Below 13,000 while two Porcupine Tree albums are in the top 500. It's been 4 months since I first got it and I'm still digesting this one. Why not have this as your first Porcupine Tree album listen?
The Divine Comedy - Regeneration - Bizarre and morbid album about life and death. No Casanova. Should be charting higher than it is.
Nine Black Alps - Everything Is - Deserves to be hitting a few thousand places higher than it is.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 02/19/2014 23:06
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

The Divine Comedy - Regeneration - Bizarre and morbid album about life and death. No Casanova. Should be charting higher than it is.

Re-listened to this one recently, and honestly, I fully understand how it can be rated lower than his other stuff (particularly Casanova). It's well produced, but the songs lack... songs.
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/19/2014 23:15
  • Post subject:
Songs About Leaving still sits outside the top 2,000.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/19/2014 23:29
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Re-listened to this one recently, and honestly, I fully understand how it can be rated lower than his other stuff (particularly Casanova). It's well produced, but the songs lack... songs.

Right right. The 4 songs after 'Love What You Do' do drop in quality a bit. Cassanova also has the same drop in quality at the end with 'Through a Long and Sleepless Night', 'Theme from Casanova' and 'The Dogs and the Horses' being a lot poorer than the best songs on the album. I can forgive both albums though as their heights make them great.

Now to say what I think is great about 'Regeneration'. 'Bad Ambassador' and 'Love What You Do' are just great pop songs, the likes of which we know Neil can write with 'Your Daddy's Car', 'National Express', 'The Pop Singer's Fear Of The Pollen Count' and many others. 'Note to Self' is fantastic but it probably would to me being a fan of 'The Black Parade' by MCR. It's over the top angsty which suddenly goes crazy at one point. 'Lost Property' has the same instropective dreamy which I have found to love in John Grant's 'Queen Of Denmark'. I feel... quite moved near the end when he finds all those things in his dream. The lyrics are quite vivid. Not as vivid as the next song 'Eye of the Needle' though. That is up there with 'The Plough' in terms of Neil's lyrical genius. They may not be all "the naaaational expreessss" but both paint pictures in my mind. I can hear the shuffling feet. I can feel the rough stone of ancient pillars against my skin. I can see death in the shadows. The camel and the eye of the needle? It does have a feeling of hopelessness to it which works incredibly with the whole theme of the album.

You say the album lacks songs? I can half way see what you are getting back. Neil is not working where his strength's lie with this one. Choruses are not as strong and the song structures are slightly unconventional compared to songs on other Divine Comedy albums. Still... Neil created something beautiful. Clinical at times while all blood at others. I feel the album works as a sum of it's parts and is a fantastic addition to the work of Neil Hannon. Smile