Official Album Recommendation Trading Center

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:03
  • Post subject: Official Album Recommendation Trading Center
Idea taken from Jasonconfused. Basically, this thread will be used to offer album recommendations to other users, who will in turn offer you recommendations. Sort of like a recommendation exchange system. For example, I say "I recommend <insert album name here> by <insert corresponding artist name here>" (feel free to include multiple for users to choose from if you want). If that album (or one of them) strikes your fancy, then you send me a PM (I think restricting this part to PM's would make the most sense so the thread doesn't get cluttered) with your own recommendation for me. Then, I listen to your album, you listen to my album, and we PM each other feedback. And voila, we each have one more album under our belt. I think it's a great way to promote our personal lesser-known favorites while simultaneously discovering some unknown gems ourselves.

Also, when listing recommendations, try to include a brief description of the album (or at least a genre) so people know if it's what they're looking for.

Here are a few of my own recommendations to get things started:

Leviathan - Mastodon (prog metal; lots of heavy, melodic guitar riffs and crazy fast drum fills)
Emperor Tomato Ketchup - Stereolab (sort of a chill-as-fuck electro-ambient-pop combo)
Nightfall in Middle-Earth - Blind Guardian (power metal, but a lot more intricate than a typical album in the genre, in my opinion)

Last edited by Guest on 05/20/2013 04:36; edited 1 time in total
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:20
  • Post subject:
Well, it's a nice idea.

I pass for now on those offers, but I may come back to them.

My recommendations, things if love to introduce people to are...

The Wild Hunt by The Tallest Man On Earth (if you're feeling some need/interest in great , intricate, subtle acoustic guitar, mixed with some rough and beautiful vocals, gorgeous and magical lyrics.... Consider it.)

So Alone by Johnny Thunders (1978, one of the early proto punk New York legends releases his first full solo album, great punk meets old school rock and roll- has a track where Phil Lynott of thin lizzy songs and he plays bass on here. For people who like NY Dolls, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, even Television)

That is all for now.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:21
  • Post subject: Re: Official Album Recommendation Trading Center
swedenman wrote:
Leviathan - Mastodon
Emperor Tomato Ketchup - Stereolab
Nightfall in Middle-Earth - Blind Guardian

well ive already heard all of these you suck at this eh?

but ok you listen to Trivmvirate by The Monolith Deathcult

no idea if youll like it but who knows
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:24
  • Post subject:
Alright, so basically I'm a dumbass.

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/20/2013 04:30; edited 1 time in total
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:28
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
Guys, be sure to address someone directly! If you don't, everything you say will be lost. In essence, it'll turn into one of those "this album isn't known and therefore you should listen to it" threads and we know damn well no one listens to those because there is no organization. If you want me to listen to something, feel free to either address me directly in this thread or PM me. If I feel I have a good recommend, then I PM someone (though I will now probably just address them in this thread), but this thread isn't bad so long as you directly address someone.

The idea is. To announce the albums you'd like to introduce to someone. When someone expresses interest, they do so directly VIA PM.

At least that is what I thought was the point.

You'll notice the OP didn't address the recs to someone in particular. Lets say I did want to listen to that Blind Gaurdoan album, then I would PM Swedenman and is give him an exchange of recommendation.

Is that completely wrong?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:30
  • Post subject:
Mercurydylan89 wrote:
The idea is. To announce the albums you'd like to introduce to someone. When someone expresses interest, they do so directly VIA PM.

You'll notice the OP didn't address the recs to someone in particular. Lets say I did want to listen to that Blind Gaurdoan album, then I would PM Swedenman and is give him an exchange of recommendation.

Mercurydylan, please understand that sometimes I skip over the OP in an attempt to save time. My fault for not being aware!

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:32
  • Post subject:
Mercurydylan89 wrote:

Yes, this is the idea.

Last edited by Guest on 05/20/2013 04:33; edited 1 time in total
joshtraina

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:33
  • Post subject:
New favorite thread, also when you suggest albums please leave a genre or a brief description for the sake of time.

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:33
  • Post subject:
joshtraina wrote:
New favorite thread, also when you suggest albums please leave a genre or a brief description for the sake of time.

Good idea! I'll put that in the OP.
JMan

• Posted: 05/20/2013 04:36
  • Post subject:
joshtraina wrote:

For anyone who hasn't heard 1000 Smiling Knuckles or Apple, please do so! Well worth your time! Apple's a Mother Love Bone grunge/alternative album while Knuckles is grunge with a heavy metal vibe.