Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/31/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#987): Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow
Today's album of the day

Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1996.
Overall rank: 162
Average rating: 82/100 (from 284 votes).

Tracks:
1. Best Foot Forward
2. Building Steam With A Grain Of Salt
3. The Number Song
4. Changeling
5. What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)
6. Untitled
7. Stem/Long Stem
8. Mutual Slump
9. Organ Donor
10. Why Hip Hop Sucks In '96
11. Midnight In A Perfect World
12. Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain
13. What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1-Blue Sky Revisit)

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/31/2013 20:13
  • Post subject:
I have only given it one listen, and it wasn't really my style. It seemed to drag on a little long. It did, however, strike me as being rather unique and brilliant in its own way.
joshtraina

• Posted: 07/31/2013 20:31
  • Post subject:
An introduction to instrumental hip-hop. I like it for what it is, but it has been surpassed by it's following acts.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2013 03:08
  • Post subject:
It's cool. I can't seem to get really really into it for some reason. I plan on really delving into this eventually.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 08/01/2013 03:51
  • Post subject:
Has some individual incredible moments (Building Steam..., Number Song, What Does Your Soul..., Stem/Long Stem, Midnight In A Perfect World) but as a whole it doesn't quite do it for me. I prefer UNKLE's debut overall.

And obviously from a technical point of view it's a towering milestone in the history of music .

Last edited by Wombi on 08/01/2013 03:54; edited 1 time in total
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 08/01/2013 03:53
  • Post subject:
One of my all time favorite albums. It topped my pitchfork people's list and is my #9 on my overall chart. It's a haunting, creepy, but also beautiful album that sounds like nothing else. I'm writing about this for the BEA albums book also, so it's easily one of my favorite.

Also, this isn't Shadow's only masterpiece. The Private Press is a more than worthy follow up, a more dance orientated album. But really, when you're following one of the best debuts of all time (and one of the best albums of all time), it's hard to top it. If you haven't heard Private Press, check out the track "Six Days". Incredible instrumental and great use of the vocal track.
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2013 03:54
  • Post subject:
I was kinda crazy about this album when I was in high school. Terrific record.

Track picks
3. The Number Song
5. What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)
11. Midnight In A Perfect World
13. What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 1-Blue Sky Revisit)
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/01/2013 06:57
  • Post subject:
joshtraina wrote:
An introduction to instrumental hip-hop.

In what way is this a better introduction to instrumental hip-hop than, say, Donuts, or Los Angeles, or an instrumental version of Illmatic or The Low End Theory or Madvillainy? Your statement would make more sense if the album wasn't completely different to most instrumental hip-hop, but it is. I'm loath to argue with the creator of the record, and so I won't suggest that this isn't a hip-hop record (because, all things considered, it is), but a record that sounds so little like most other hip-hop is no sort of introduction to any strand of the genre. It's like calling Shalamar's Friends "an introduction to soul music" - just because it probably falls under a genre label and is excellent, it does not make it a fitting introduction to said genre.

Anyway, this album is fantastic. I don't have any real emotional attachment to it, and it isn't one of my favourite albums, but I never regret listening to it, and do so pretty regularly. 'Building Steam...' is stunning, as are 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)' and 'Midnight in a Perfect World'. In fact, the record never drops below great, which is a remarkable achievement really, but those three tracks always stand out as particular highlights. I saw a band (whose name escapes me) perform a great live version of this whole album at a festival in Croatia in 2011 to celebrate the album's 15th anniversary, and that was great too, much better than the time I actually saw DJ Shadow, who just seemed intent on playing really very average drum'n'bass.

Conclusion, this album is a real gem.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2013 14:37
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
In what way is this a better introduction to instrumental hip-hop than, say, Donuts, or Los Angeles, or an instrumental version of Illmatic or The Low End Theory or Madvillainy? Your statement would make more sense if the album wasn't completely different to most instrumental hip-hop, but it is.

To be completely fair. Josh didn't say this was the best introduction to instrumental hip-hop. he just said "an introduction to instrumental hip-hop" so you're really arguing nothing.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/02/2013 03:07
  • Post subject:
It's almost always been a staple of my top 50. It flows, it's interesting, it's dark, it's curious in it's sampling. I simply love it, and it belongs among the pantheon of night music along with Dummy, Closer, Untrue, Kid A, Los Angeles (and most of Flying Lotus), et al. This is not to mention its influence on Kid A, Burial, or pretty much every other dark electronica DJ that's tried to convey the feeling of a sinister night on the town after it; and not to mention how closely DJ Shadow cut the samples to influence acts like Radiohead, the Avalanches, and even today's Jon Hopkins and Andy Stott. Bottom line, it's a fun listen, and my favorite tracks are: "Building Steam With A Grain of Salt"; "Mutual Slump"; "Midnight In A Perfect World"... but the whole album is pure gold. If Le Samurai weren't covering it in reviews, I would've taken it gladly.