• Post subject:
Classic indie and undoubtedly the inspiration for "Where's Waldo?"
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/03/2013 21:18
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Shame, I enjoyed these rants and agree with them to a large extent

Ah, okay. I'm sorry. Well, it still isn't a masterpiece in my book, but I did admittedly enjoy it the last few times I tried it. Maybe I can cheer you up and say I still don't understand the greatness of "Sister Ray" (not that it's bad either, I just don't see it as a standout track)?

swedenman wrote:
This is sooooo not even why this album is experimental.

Ooh, okay, daah! Not talking

What I tried to explain was that the album's quality is independent of whether or not it's experimental for the sake of being experimental. I was not trying to state that this how it is, I'm not saying that I necessarily think it's experimental for the sake of bla bla.. I can't explain this!

Why do YOU think The Velvet Underground made this album as experimental as it is then?

• Posted: 08/03/2013 21:22
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Why do YOU think The Velvet Underground made this album as experimental as it is then?

My guess would be because they were an experimental band and they thought the experimental sound sounded good.
CellarDoor
Shoe-Punk Loner

France

• Posted: 08/03/2013 21:55
  • Post subject:
Whip it on me Jim
Whip it on me Jim
Whip it on me Jim
Whip it on me Jim

• Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/04/2013 00:30
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
My guess would be because they were an experimental band and they thought the experimental sound sounded good.

Yeah, or the opposite, maybe they intentionally wanted a sound that wasn't pleasing their ears? Like, to ensure getting attention with their music. And that would, to some extent, be to be experimental for the sake of being experimental.

But really, it doesn't matter who's wrong or right nor does it matter how and why it was made. The music should speak for itself. I think I'll leave now before I've contradicted myself too much!
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2013 00:43
  • Post subject:
My least favorite of their four albums. Still pretty good though. "I Heard Her Call My Name" really kills my boner though.

• Posted: 08/04/2013 00:59
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
Yeah, or the opposite, maybe they intentionally wanted a sound that wasn't pleasing their ears? Like, to ensure getting attention with their music. And that would, to some extent, be to be experimental for the sake of being experimental.

But really, it doesn't matter who's wrong or right nor does it matter how and why it was made. The music should speak for itself. I think I'll leave now before I've contradicted myself too much!

No worries, I find the topic an interesting one. Now, in some sense, all experimental music is experimental for the sake of being experimental. Musicians are naturally inclined to make music that will be pleasing to the casual listener, and so any musician who opts to deviate from these standards must do so consciously. In fact, the term "experimental" itself would indicate that the approach is a conscious one, as the act of experimenting involves consciously moving away from the norm and playing with ideas that are less orthodox.

That being said, I highly doubt they would have released the album purely for shock value if they didn't think it to be the type of music that somebody would find pleasing. I, for one, consider "Sister Ray" to be ridiculously catchy, even if not terribly accessible. I'm not just drawn to the way it deviates from the norms, I find the music to be genuinely pleasing to the ear.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/04/2013 03:08
  • Post subject:
This is my favorite Velvets album as of now. Self titled is my 2nd favorite, followed by VU & N. Loaded is waaaaayyyy less great to me.

Anyway, this album is on my chart, at number 85 - just behind "Exile On Main St." At 84 and just ahead of "Harvest" by Neil Young at 86.

Anyway, here is the comment for this album's entry on my chart:

"This is a really dirty, nasty, uncivilized record basically. It's got this rabid, unhinged, drug-crazed energy and brilliance that no other album that I've ever heard. It really captured that insane genius so perfectly. When I first heard it I knew right away it was a classic of classics. so primal, I cant get over it. Wow! Every track is great, although I'll say I usually skip 'The Gift'. Although this whole thing is masterful, side 2 is really where these New York punks let loose and destroy all preconceptions of song craft and musical beauty!
Best song: 'Sister Ray' and 'White Light/White Heat'"

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
SingingPeasant96
Coming-of-Age

Unknown

• Posted: 08/04/2013 04:09
  • Post subject:
Awesome Jamming
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/04/2013 11:53
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
No worries, I find the topic an interesting one. Now, in some sense, all experimental music is experimental for the sake of being experimental. Musicians are naturally inclined to make music that will be pleasing to the casual listener, and so any musician who opts to deviate from these standards must do so consciously. In fact, the term "experimental" itself would indicate that the approach is a conscious one, as the act of experimenting involves consciously moving away from the norm and playing with ideas that are less orthodox.

That being said, I highly doubt they would have released the album purely for shock value if they didn't think it to be the type of music that somebody would find pleasing. I, for one, consider "Sister Ray" to be ridiculously catchy, even if not terribly accessible. I'm not just drawn to the way it deviates from the norms, I find the music to be genuinely pleasing to the ear.

Definitely an interesting topic. I agree with the conscious about being experimental thing. I doubt the album's purely made for the shock value too, but take a track like "The Gift", a creepy spoken word poem with a noisy improvisational background. I think a track like that exists on the album with the aim of being thought-provoking rather than being pleasant to the ears (though it sounds cool on its own). I guess this whole experimental music discussion is about music being experimental with the aim of exploring new sounds that we like vs. music being experimental with the aim of changing our perception of music.

Not sure that I agree with "Sister Ray" being ridiculously catchy, but it has a unique attitude for sure. The title-track is more catchy, I think.