Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2014 19:19
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
But, let's face it, I'm an old guy. My 50+ years of experience have taught me this - Pretty much everyone thinks that the mmusic they heard in college, or thereabouts, is the best. I am no different.

Totally. Those are the years that shape you. Plus that's when you have the most time to seek out new music.

I have pretty negative feelings about Rolling Stone and NME in general, but my old buddy Chris Weingarten just took an Editorial job at Rolling Stone, so I'm optimistic about there being improvements there.

Check out Bee Thousand by Guided by Voices. That album is special.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/08/2014 19:29
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
Listening to Elliott Smith now. Good stuff.

What album by Pavement and Guided by voices do you recommend?

Glad you're enjoying Elliott Smith, Either/Or is one of my all-time favourites.

And for Pavement I would certainly recommend Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and I'd agree with meccalecca, and suggest Bee Thousand for Guided By Voices.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 01/08/2014 20:19
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
Listening to Elliott Smith now. Good stuff.

What album by Pavement and Guided by voices do you recommend?

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is easily Pavement's most accessible album, and many would say it's their best (my chart says otherwise because it's outdated, but I would agree). Slanted and Enchanted is more experimental but also very good. I'm not big on Wowee Zowee but a lot of users here really like it so that's worth a listen, as well.

• Posted: 01/09/2014 15:10
  • Post subject:
There's not a bad Pavement record tbh. Terror Twilight and Brighten The Corners aren't on the same level as the first three, but they're both great albums. Basically, you can't go wrong with Pavement.

• Posted: 01/09/2014 20:00
  • Post subject:
Ceccon wrote:
But, let's face it, I'm an old guy. My 50+ years of experience have taught me this - Pretty much everyone thinks that the mmusic they heard in college, or thereabouts, is the best. I am no different.

Well that's true because of personal reasons but you say it like it's a fact and albums from your college years are better than my college years. What's open-minded about that? If your reason for joining this site is trying to find good new music, then starting with complaining about how music has gone downhills in the last decade is not the best strategy and it's evidently self-destructive (that is if you're being honest about your intentions in joining this site).

• Posted: 01/09/2014 20:40
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:
If your reason for joining this site is trying to find good new music, then starting with complaining about how music has gone downhills in the last decade is not the best strategy and it's evidently self-destructive (that is if you're being honest about your intentions in joining this site).

I have been listening to music for a long time. I truly believe that there were two really great periods in rock: One was from about 1966 to 1970 and the other was from about 1977 to 1981.

I think there has been a lot of good music since 1981, obviously. The trouble is finding it.

Because I have Spotify, I can listen to a lot of music. When I see certain albums getting a lot of buzz on "best of" lists, and discussion groups, I listen to them. Some I listen to alot, and then get tired of. (This year, Daft Punk's Random Access Memories and Arcade Fire's Reflektor are examples.) Some I listen to and they make it into a rotation where I listen to them for years. (This year, Modern Vampires of the City and Jason Isbell's Southeastern are examples.)

Go look at my best 50 albums. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It has classical, jazz, rap, soul , punk, and even country. Those are the albums I listen to a lot. I hope to add a few albums each year.I do think rock music is not as good as it once was. That does not mean there is no good music. I just have to look to find it.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/15/2014 03:41
  • Post subject:
Well it looks like Ceccon has left us. That's kinda sad. I guess he just wasn't feeling the whole argument really. Although earlier on this thread he seemed to say it was a good conversation. Weird.

Anyway, I love this chart. Gotten good basic recs from here.

Edit: actually the last conversation I saw him active on was the spotify thing he started. Maybe he, as a lawyer, blew outta here because we were somehow morally untouchable in his eyes.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 01/15/2014 03:58
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I saw him active on was the spotify thing he started. Maybe he, as a lawyer, blew outta here because we were somehow morally untouchable in his eyes.

follow me, Norman, lethal, or others on spotify... you're bound to gain recs
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 01/15/2014 04:11
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Edit: actually the last conversation I saw him active on was the spotify thing he started. Maybe he, as a lawyer, blew outta here because we were somehow morally untouchable in his eyes.

It's possible that he viewed it as a professional risk. I sometimes wonder myself how this would look on a background check for a government job.

• Posted: 01/15/2014 04:24
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
It's possible that he viewed it as a professional risk. I sometimes wonder myself how this would look on a background check for a government job.

Not good would be the simple answer to that!