What I like most about music...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki
  • Posted: 12/07/2013 23:46
  • Post subject: What I like most about music...
... is that I can use it as a way to express myself. Smile Does this simple statement ring true for you too?
  • Posted: 12/07/2013 23:51
  • Post subject:
I don't think I use it to express myself to other people, but it certainly express myself to me.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 00:06
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I don't think I use it to express myself to other people, but it certainly express myself to me.

This. Except for the occasional blues jam on guitar, I'm not very good at expressing myself through music. But I definitely agree that it perfectly expresses my feelings to myself.
bigeyedfish
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 00:11
  • Post subject:
I don't know if I can say it's my favorite thing about it, but it's definitely one of the major upsides. Good post

BrandonMeow wrote:

This is mostly true for me. Not that I can't express myself to others with it, but I mostly just don't. As far as expression through musical tastes, most of the people I know don't 'get' music or see how it is so important to me, so they don't see how much a part of me my music is. I can convey emotion effectively though the guitar in any mood well, but mostly I jam alone so it's just a release of feelings rather than a message.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 00:54
  • Post subject:
Music is my way of exploring human possibility. That and just pure enjoyment.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 01:10
  • Post subject:
Music makes me feel.

It also teaches me all about the world.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 01:18
  • Post subject:
Ever since I found the Gorillaz I have been wondering about how to create the greatest band ever. Something which changes everything (again) and something which exciting to watch grow. I don't want music to be simply about the sound. It has to be about the characters, the places, the moments involved.

Music can be more than the sound.

Also, regardless of whether you record music or not you can still express yourself through what you choose to listen to. Wink It's all about who you are.
andy_hunter

Cape Verde
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 01:33
  • Post subject:
This is the pinnacle of musical enjoyment. And then of course on an emotional level it can do almost anything, it can make you laugh, it can make you cry, it can make you take to the streets in anger and it can make see the world from another perspective. Its the only art form that consistently hits me on a gut level.

But also every thing that comes with it. Musical history, discovering new styles and taste, using it as a conversation piece, collecting, researching, compiling.

Best Albums of 2014. Rate That Shiz, yo
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 01:39
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:

Also, regardless of whether you record music or not you can still express yourself through what you choose to listen to. Wink It's all about who you are.

When I was younger, especially in my teens, music was much more about self-expression (and self-exploration, as Brandon mentioned). It's during that time that I think most people are looking for an identity, as well as a deeper understanding of who they are. It's also a very social time, so people often use music to relate to their friends.

I feel like I have a much greater understanding of who I am now, so music has become more about understanding who other people are. Now I'm much more curious about genres that I don't immediately relate to. I like to think that exploring these things helps me better myself as well, but I don't go into it with such lofty expectations. I'm just a curious person and music is probably the most fun way for me to satisfy that curiosity.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 12/08/2013 02:02
  • Post subject:
andy_hunter wrote:
...then of course on an emotional level it can do almost anything, it can make you laugh, it can make you cry, it can make you take to the streets in anger and it can make see the world from another perspective. Its the only art form that consistently hits me on a gut level.

Big respect for this post. Beautifully said and very much the same for me. I find it hard to express how fond I am of music. It's something so basic and elemental to me. It's a cliche, but it really is a part of me. I just absolutely love the feeling of connection I feel when I find a song or sound or album or artist I really connect with. Music can be of almost earth-shattering importance to me and it can be one if the nicest friends to have around, one of the best comforts to find in bad times or, really, any times at all. Music wraps itself up in all my memories and all the eras of my life. And the aesthetics and attitudes and culture of the sounds I love pervade my whole lifetime so far as far back as I can remember.

When I talk about music or specific artists or albums I am speaking about a whole package, not just the very material and shallow physical characteristics, but all the realizations, insights into life, new understandings, all the loves and even animosities and hates stirred up by the music, I am speaking of all my dreams and nightmares all there preserved and remembered in music. It forms almost the fabric of my experiences. I just love it.

When I speak to other, non-music-obsessed, people they don't seem to get it. They see music perhaps as simply and only a nice form of entertainment. Or they see it as something they like but don't get too into. My reality and my viewpoint on it is so very different. This is also one of the reasons I really love coming here and dealing with you guys. Many of you seem to share the same passion I have. In "the real world" that I live in, I don't see that in many people.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website