Best Wu-Tang Solo Album

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Why is the sky blue? Why is water wet? Why did Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?
RZA (with Gravediggaz) - 6 Feet Deep
5%
 5%  [1]
Method Man - Tical
10%
 10%  [2]
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version
5%
 5%  [1]
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
10%
 10%  [2]
GZA - Liquid Swords
50%
 50%  [10]
Ghostface Killah - Ironman
0%
 0%  [0]
RZA - Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (Japanese version)
0%
 0%  [0]
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
0%
 0%  [0]
Method Man (& Redman) - Blackout!
0%
 0%  [0]
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
15%
 15%  [3]
GZA (& DJ Muggs) - Grandmasters
0%
 0%  [0]
Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
5%
 5%  [1]
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... pt. II
0%
 0%  [0]
RZA (with Various Artists) - The Man With the Iron Fists
0%
 0%  [0]
Inspectah Deck (& 7L & Esoteric) - Czarface
0%
 0%  [0]
Other [please state]
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 20

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:26
  • Post subject: Best Wu-Tang Solo Album
OK, obviously I'm a Wu-Tang fanatic. Thought I'd make a thread to figure out what people's favourite Wu-Tang solo/side-project records are and why (was tempted to just do a best Wu-Tang album, but 36 Chambers would win and we'd learn nothing). Anyway, I've noticed a few people around here trying to get into hip-hop recently and I thought this thread could help sway some of those users in the direction of albums you love. Please give some sort of explanation if you can; it would help to persuade others to listen to (or perhaps relisten to and reconsider) your favourites, as well as giving people an insight into why you love the albums you do. I don't expect essays or anything, but a few words certainly wouldn't go amiss. I've attempted to fill the poll with the most widely acclaimed works, but there is an 'Other' option that I urge you to use if you want to. Obviously I know this poll is going to be dominated by a few albums, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised nonetheless.

Right, so my favourite is Supreme Clientele by Ghostface. It's peppered with some of RZA's best production, his trademark grimy soul with a decidedly old school fascination, but consistently memorable and often catchy (not to mention some great work from a few choice RZA protegees who come through to offer some absolute bangers). Ghost's rhymes are as urgent as they've ever been, a perfect mix of the storytelling he's since become renowned for and his own raucous, hilarious and totally unique brand of braggadocio. The slang is often completely indecipherable, but that's where the beauty of this album lies. It doesn't attempt to pander to the uninitiated, but at the same time he opens a door to a world of colourful, often totally abstract rhymes that you won't find on your average Jay-Z or Kanye West record. His delivery is perfect, rat-a-tat Kool G. Rap spitting with the weathered croak of an old soul legend (think Bobby Bland), always prioritising sheer emotion over technical perfection. It's a scattershot album that takes the listener through a world of pimps in minks, crackheads worth keeping close, and ghetto superheroes, and it never lets up in its beautiful, twisted, relentless assault. An absolute must-hear for those who are unfamiliar.

Anyhow, there's my choice. Get voting people.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:33
  • Post subject:
I've only heard Supreme Clientele, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and Liquid Swords.

I think GZA comes across very laid back, but also wise - I really enjoy his writing and delivery, so Liquid Swords is my favourite of the three.

I've never been mad for Wu-Tang though, something about their sound just doesn't resonate with me as well as other artists I suppose, but it's high time I gave them more of a chance, I'll try to work my way through all of these one way or another.

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:38
  • Post subject:
I've never listened to an entire one though I've tried Supreme Clientele and ODB's Return to the 36 Chambers: Dirty Version (which I was actually enjoying, I just didn't commit to listening to the whole album. ODB is my favourite I think, his voice is the most memorable and he's kind of goofy, I like it)

I've managed to connect with genres seemingly alien to me such as punk and metal so I don't see why hip hop shouldn't be next. It is frustrating though, still not finding any from the genre I personally connect with outside of Sole, and I'm not head over heels for him. But, I still think hip hop will give me something someday, and there are enough songs that I enjoy from the genre that I'm not gonna give up on it. I think maybe I should try Liquid Swords next...is that a good idea?

Edit: Yes, yes, that was a brilliant idea. Liquid Swords is increditastic.

Last edited by Guest on 02/25/2014 23:41; edited 2 times in total
ButterThumbz
I always used to wonder if she wore false ears

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/25/2014 21:50
  • Post subject:
An amazing list. Almost impossible to choose a favourite but plumped for Cuban Linx. Raekwon really knows how to spin a yarn, with RZA on top form and plenty of Ghostface too.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 02/25/2014 22:53
  • Post subject:
Going with Liquid Swords, makes my overall chart, I love it. Most of what I heard is fantastic but I guess I've only really heard the 'bigger' albums, I guess my next 2 would be Supreme Clientele and Czarface.

• Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2014 23:41
  • Post subject:
So I know everyone loves Liquid Swords (and I do too), but Tical was amazing and that's what I'm going with.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 02/26/2014 00:25
  • Post subject:
I haven't listened to much actually : 6 Feet Deep, Liquid Swords, Return To The 36 Chambers and Ironman, ranked in this order when it comes to my preference. The first one is absolutely amazing and isn't leaving my chart soon, the following two are excellent, and the last one is pretty good. I might write something about Gravediggaz later, it's late here and I'm tired.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2014 00:27
  • Post subject:
For me it's undoubtably "Liquid Swords" out of what i have heard. its not that close. My number 2 is "Fishscale". But anyway, back to GZA's masterpiece... There are seriously no perceptible weaknesses here in this album. All the tracks are dense and dark and immaculately produced. All the raps are on point and incredibly rhythmic. GZA's flow is so natural and relaxed, and yet it feels threatening and just confidently deadly and powerful. The guest spots by some other BA Wu-Tang members are all excellent. The tracks are classic after classic one after another after another. Aomething about the mood of the album, the qay it starts with that creepy kid story of her dad, the just almost wildly nonchalant way the beat drifts in to start the album in earnest on the opener, the sequencing of the tracks, all these successful and killer elements just one after another just does not let up for a minute. There are absolutely no dud tracks, no overlong skits, the skits that are here are short and add to the story and vibe of the album very nicely. It's a cohesive album. I'm no expert on rap, but damn! this has got to be as great as any.

"The liquid soluble that made up the chemistry,
a gaseous element that burned down your ministry.
Herbal vapors and biblical papers.
Smokin' exo-dust, every square yard is plush." - GZA (I think.)

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/26/2014 01:21
  • Post subject:
Supreme Clientele.

6 Feet Deep comes pretty close though.. But I wouldn't consider it a solo Wu-Tang album Confused
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/26/2014 01:41
  • Post subject:
There's a couple I haven't heard which I will get onto soon. Pretty much all the albums I know here are so strong though, could easily vote for Tical, Supreme Clientele, Ironman, ODB, OB4CL2, in particular.

For me though, Liquid Swords and Only Built 4 Cuban Lynx are the masterpieces and stand out way above all the others, which says a lot, would have to go for one of those two.

A best member of the Wu Tang poll/discussion would interest me also.