teen fight

Laughing
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:15
  • Post subject:
TracyJacks wrote:
A fantastic record. I think Good Times Bad Times and Baby I'm Gonna Leave You are one of the best first two songs on any album ever.

This exactly. My favorite by them actually, I'm one of those who like each following album a bit less. But yeah, this is completely awesome. Not flawless, at all, but I think it's part of its charm. There's something unfinished about it and I like that.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:18
  • Post subject:
Hum, I've seen the whiteness of the band mentioned a few times here... How does it even matter? It's a real question to some extent, I don't get how the fact that the were white makes their attempt to play blues ridiculous.
  • Visit poster's website
Silver

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:22
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
I can accept your opinion fine. You have a great taste and have made one of my favorite overall charts. But you're making points that are quite invalid. This is a pointless discussion? Now you're just being silly. I'll say it one more time, this is a album discussion forum. If I didn't ask you for a valid opinion, I would be using this site incorrectly.

I don't see how not liking the songs, vocals, lyrics, and general style of the band aren't valid points, but maybe that's just me. And you literally keep cherrypicking the one things that I admitted to being unfair in the first post. Hopefully you can understand why I think this isn't worthwhile discussion. Asking someone's opinion is fine, especially when you give them a rec or something, but I don't think it's very in depth discussion and I certainly don't think it needs to be brought up every time you find someone with a dissenting view. And when someone gives reasons why they don't like the album, asking them to go super in-depth with those reasons isn't discussion, it's refutation for the sake of it, which, again, is pointless. I don't enjoy scientifically analyzing why I like or dislike albums anyways. If you want why I dislike Plant's voice, look at what Mercury said, he phrased it perfectly. And, throughout this entire thing, I stop short of calling it a discussion, you've given very little reason as to why you like the album. I'd be much more interested in seeing that than asking someone to supply a list of reasons to justify their thoughts on an album. And as for the reason I seem frustrated, it's because you do this a lot and I honestly do think it's very uninteresting discussion.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:27
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I don't see how not liking the songs, vocals, lyrics, and general style of the band aren't valid points, but maybe that's just me. And you literally keep cherrypicking the one things that I admitted to being unfair in the first post. Hopefully you can understand why I think this isn't worthwhile discussion. Asking someone's opinion is fine, especially when you give them a rec or something, but I don't think it's very in depth discussion and I certainly don't think it needs to be brought up every time you find someone with a dissenting view. And when someone gives reasons why they don't like the album, asking them to go super in-depth with those reasons isn't discussion, it's refutation for the sake of it, which, again, is pointless. I don't enjoy scientifically analyzing why I like or dislike albums anyways. If you want why I dislike Plant's voice, look at what Mercury said, he phrased it perfectly. And, throughout this entire thing, I stop short of calling it a discussion, you've given very little reason as to why you like the album. I'd be much more interested in seeing that than asking someone to supply a list of reasons to justify their thoughts on an album. And as for the reason I seem frustrated, it's because you do this a lot and I honestly do think it's very uninteresting discussion.

If you don't like it, I have no problem with that. Maybe those points that you made are valid to you, but I was just looking for something a bit more.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:36
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Hum, I've seen the whiteness of the band mentioned a few times here... How does it even matter? It's a real question to some extent, I don't get how the fact that the were white makes their attempt to play blues ridiculous.

I genuinely don't get it either, how is something defined as 'white music'?

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/08/2014 23:48
  • Post subject:
Is this the album where there's a song about someone called Robert Anthony who wants to bang a schoolgirl, cause that's what I remember. There's also song where he wants someone to squeeze his lemon, but that was the next album I think
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 00:03
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I genuinely don't get it either, how is something defined as 'white music'?

Are you implying ethnic identity in music doesn't exist?
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2014 00:10
  • Post subject:
I regress. It really has nothing to do with the fact that Robert plant is white. But it still does seem like he is trying to emulate In very over the top and "passionate" way what the soul singers and blues Singers before him did. The two people I mentioned, Howlin Wolf and Otis, are African American. They were very soulful, very indebted to the blues and church music that had been passed down through the generations in black America. They also lived their lives as black men during the 1910, 20s, 30, and 40s (for the wolf) which was not a time when black people in America were treated well. And the 1940s, 50s and early to mid 60s (for Otis) which was a very intense era of social change and bitterness directed at African Americans at that time. I can hear the passion and real emotional struggle in those men's voices. I also can hear the lived-in quality of the music, like it wasn't that they heard this music on albums and emulated it so much as the Music was a part of them and a part of their culture and then they just mastered it.

For Robert Plant (and I feel the same about most all white soul and blues singers in the US an UK that I've heard) it feels like the music and feeling is not so purely passionate and emotional. It feels more "sexified" and downgraded in my eyes.

Still there are a lot of albums and bands and singers that I love of this same ilk - such as The Stones, Van Morrison, John Mayall, and some others. And again I also really like a lot if Zeppelin's stuff. Just not so much the vocals or the messages in the songs.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 00:26
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Are you implying ethnic identity in music doesn't exist?

Not at all, I just don't understand when people use terms like 'too white' to describe albums such as this.

• Visit poster's website