• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:28
  • Post subject:

Link
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:30
  • Post subject:
I don't totally understand (actually i do) and definitely don't agree with the 3 peeps on this thread that feel swordfishtrombones is better than Rain Dogs. I feel Rain Dogs is way more consistent, varied and has considerably more great songs. 16 Shells... is an all time great song. And there are other great tracks on Swordfishtrombones, but Rain Dogs from start to finish just has more absolute classics than any other Waits album.

I don't know, obviously it's all just opinion and I actually do understand liking either more than the other, but to say one is way way way better than the other (especially when it disagrees with my opinion- God forbid LOL) just seems off.

Obviously if you love this, you'll love swordfishtrombones and Franks Wild Years - but Rain Dogs is by far the most accessible, nicely written and engaging of the 3.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:32
  • Post subject:
tekin wrote:

Link

Mr. Green Applause Laughing Laughing Laughing

WTF dude.

• Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:56
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I don't totally understand (actually i do) and definitely don't agree with the 3 peeps on this thread that feel swordfishtrombones is better than Rain Dogs. I feel Rain Dogs is way more consistent, varied and has considerably more great songs. 16 Shells... is an all time great song. And there are other great tracks on Swordfishtrombones, but Rain Dogs from start to finish just has more absolute classics than any other Waits album.

I don't know, obviously it's all just opinion and I actually do understand liking either more than the other, but to say one is way way way better than the other (especially when it disagrees with my opinion- God forbid LOL) just seems off.

Obviously if you love this, you'll love swordfishtrombones and Franks Wild Years - but Rain Dogs is by far the most accessible, nicely written and engaging of the 3.

Rain Dogs is certainly the more varied of the two, but Swordfishtrombones is much more cohesive. I love the shit out of Rain Dogs, but at times (particularly the second half) it feels like it would work just as well on shuffle. Swordfishtrombones, on the other hand, is immaculately structured, imo ("Underground" sets the stage for the rest of the album perfectly, the hardest-hitting tracks are spaced out appropriately, the transition from "Down Down Down" to "Soldier's Things" is positively haunting, and "Rainbirds" is so seamless a closer that I hardly notice the album has ended; I admire many other aspects of its structure, but those are the most notable).

I also can't agree that Rain Dogs is more consistent. Both albums are on my chart, so I obviously like every song on both, but "Big Black Mariah", "Gun Street Girl", "Union Square", "Blind Love", and "Bride of Rain Dog" really pale in comparison to even the weakest tracks on Swordfishtrombones, imo.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really matter if you call a sequence n or if you call it e^n. They both diverge to infinity, right? Both albums are brilliant.

Last edited by Guest on 03/17/2014 23:02; edited 2 times in total

• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:57
  • Post subject:
Oh, and "9th and Hennepin" is easily a top 5 track on this album. If you haven't given that song a focused listen with headphones, definitely do so. There's a lot going on in that one that you don't notice right away.
PAULARVOPART

• Posted: 03/17/2014 22:59
  • Post subject: RAIN DOGS=MASTERPIECE
It's in my top 20 of all time

And, Rain Dogs is better than Swordfishtrombones
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2014 23:36
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Rain Dogs is certainly the more varied of the two, but Swordfishtrombones is much more cohesive. I love the shit out of Rain Dogs, but at times (particularly the second half) it feels like it would work just as well on shuffle. Swordfishtrombones, on the other hand, is immaculately structured, imo ("Underground" sets the stage for the rest of the album perfectly, the hardest-hitting tracks are spaced out appropriately, the transition from "Down Down Down" to "Soldier's Things" is positively haunting, and "Rainbirds" is so seamless a closer that I hardly notice the album has ended; I admire many other aspects of its structure, but those are the most notable).

I also can't agree that Rain Dogs is more consistent. Both albums are on my chart, so I obviously like every song on both, but "Big Black Mariah", "Gun Street Girl", "Union Square", "Blind Love", and "Bride of Rain Dog" really pale in comparison to even the weakest tracks on Swordfishtrombones, imo.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't really matter if you call a sequence n or if you call it e^n. They both diverge to infinity, right? Both albums are brilliant.

Fucking mathlete. But on that last point I agree.

• Visit poster's website