Best Ever Films of The 40's [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/26/2016 02:54
  • Post subject:
Another big surprise was The Big Sleep being the second highest Bogart movie as I was expecting it to fall a little short of The Maltese Falcon and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Philadelphia Story being Jimmy Stewart's top movie over It's a Wonderful Life was surprising as well even if it wasn't by much.

But yeah apparently being a part of the Criterion collection is bad luck this decade. The Sturges films, the Powell films, Brief Encounter, Third Man, etc all should have been way higher in my opinion.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 05:48
  • Post subject:
My biggest surprise was Great Dictator at #3. Good film but didn't think people liked it that much. Also three Hitchcock films in front of Shadow of a Doubt? Anyway another great list we churned out. I couldn't help but notice the point totals for the list. They tell me that the farther back we go with these movie polls, the fewer users participate. It seems only the movie buffs are participating now, and isn't that a good thing? I would love it if we kept going back and did a '30s list, then a Silent Era list, even if only a handful of us participate. What is the next poll gonna be, by the way?

Last edited by CA Dreamin on 09/27/2016 17:33; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 06:35
  • Post subject:
The Great Dictator at #3 leaves me thinking that City Lights and Modern Times will dominate the 30s list. I'd be fine with that.

I honestly don't know how many good ideas are left. I look forward to a 30s and Silent Era list. I remember everyone talking about Asian movies. While I never really fancied the idea of categorizing films by location it would still be a neat list to see in the end. Perhaps a top 100 documentaries? I doubt I could do 100 but I'd love doing it for new recs. Although film scores makes sense since its a music site I would have a ridiculous time sorting a list out. Perhaps just a list for composers in general would be easier. Any other ideas?
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 16:41
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
The Great Dictator at #3 leaves me thinking that City Lights and Modern Times will dominate the 30s list. I'd be fine with that.
I'd be okay with that too, but Gold Rush is his best. And I think M would top a potential '30s list. Speaking of which...
badseed wrote:
I look forward to a 30s and Silent Era list.
Agreed.
badseed wrote:
I remember everyone talking about Asian movies. I never really fancied the idea of categorizing films by location...
Me neither. Count me out of that one.
badseed wrote:
Perhaps a top 100 documentaries? I doubt I could do 100 but I'd love doing it for new recs.
Interesting idea but I have my doubts. There are so many documentaries out there, but so few people who watch them. Thus I feel a best ever docs list would be very scattered and unpredictable, which could be good for recs. But let's be honest, most people who watch docs only watch those that reflect their own values (not that BEA users are like that). And you said "I doubt I could do 100." As a huge documentary fan, I couldn't do 100 either. I've seen well over 100 but just like fiction, for every great doc there are numerous average and bad ones. I think 50 would be a better number.
badseed wrote:
Any other ideas?
Best ever horror films, best ever comedies, best ever sci-fi come to mind. These genres don't get much love on our decade polls. But that's okay because most films in these genres don't reach for artistic heights, but that doesn't mean they aren't great for what they are. I would be a fan of any genre poll.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 20:42
  • Post subject:
Gold Rush was my favorite at first too, mainly because I hadn't ventured into silent film aside from a couple horror movies by the time I got into Chaplin and TCM aired the 1942 re-release with Chaplin's narration. I'm still partial to that version because it features what is probably my favorite Chaplin score.

Horror movies would be pretty sweet. It's the genre that got me started as a movie buff so I could throw one together but it would take some serious research just to make sure I'm not forgetting something.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
I don't like being scared.

No one agrees but I would love to do a romance/rom com list.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/27/2016 21:35
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
My biggest surprise was Great Dictator at #3. Good film but didn't think people liked it that much. Also three Hitchcock films in front of Shadow of a Doubt? Anyway another great list we churned out. I couldn't help but notice the point totals for the list. They tell me that the farther back we go with these movie polls, the fewer users participate. It seems only the movie buffs are participating now, and isn't that a good thing? I would love it if we kept going back and did a '30s list, then a Silent Era list, even if only a handful of us participate. What is the next poll gonna be, by the way?

There was considerably less submissions for this poll (around 50% of the users that usually participate), but I figured that would happen. I actually thought there would only be a 20-30% turnout, so it went slightly better than I figured.

Will keep you guys updated on the next poll Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 21:39
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Will keep you guys updated on the next poll Smile

Looking forward to it. I took a look and it looks pretty much unanimous in favor of Romance/Rom-Com poll next. No need to fact check, I got you covered. Wink

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/27/2016 21:50
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Looking forward to it. I took a look and it looks pretty much unanimous in favor of Romance/Rom-Com poll next. No need to fact check, I got you covered. Wink

I can confirm the 100% of the people who have discussed it agree Wink

At this point I'm not sure what the next poll will be, so I'm open to suggestions. Pre-30's is of course an option.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2016 22:14
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
At this point I'm not sure what the next poll will be, so I'm open to suggestions. Pre-30's is of course an option.

My vote is to continue along the decades with a 30s list (so I have more reason to watch a bunch of films like I did for this list) or film scores.
  • Visit poster's website