Allmusic 5/5 stars
Entertainment Weekly (A+)
Robert Christgau (A)
Rolling Stone 5/5 stars
BBC (favourable) [27]
Sputnikmusic 5/5 stars
MSN Music 5/5 stars

Led Zeppelin IV

* Jimmy Page – acoustic and electric guitar, mandolin, production, remastering, digital remastering
* Robert Plant – lead vocals, harmonica
* John Bonham – drums
* John Paul Jones – synthesizer, bass guitar, keyboards, mandolin, recorders

Now don't get me wrong, Bowie is great and so is this album.

But Bowie never made an album as great as IV Not talking

This shit ain't even funny. IV is losing Evil or Very Mad

Ziggy has NO songs as good as this one. It has it all and also some fantastic harmonica playing and vocals by Plant. Page and Jones are at their best and Bonham's drums on it are the envy of any drummer Very Happy

When the Levee Breaks Applause

Link

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2011 01:26
  • Post subject:
Now...Ziggy has four songs that are as good as they come: Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City, and Rock N' Roll Suicide. On top of that there is Lady Stardust and Star which are also close to magnificent. The weakest track on the album, It Ain't Easy, is still a damned good song. On top of that, there probably isn't a single album that tells a story from start to finish as good as this one.

Zep IV has Rock & Roll and that seriously over-played but justly so Stairway. The rest of the album is quality all the way through, possibly with the exception of Battle of Evermore which drags a bit.

All in all, on relistening to both, Ziggy is the superior album by quite the margin. Both, I repeat, are masterpieces.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason I made this post: Ziggy has six songs that are better than When the Levee Breaks.
  • Visit poster's website
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 07/08/2011 01:30
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:

Link

It's not even there own fucking song.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/08/2011 01:46
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Now...Ziggy has four songs that are as good as they come: Starman, Ziggy Stardust, Suffragette City, and Rock N' Roll Suicide. On top of that there is Lady Stardust and Star which are also close to magnificent. The weakest track on the album, It Ain't Easy, is still a damned good song. On top of that, there probably isn't a single album that tells a story from start to finish as good as this one.

Zep IV has Rock & Roll and that seriously over-played but justly so Stairway. The rest of the album is quality all the way through, possibly with the exception of Battle of Evermore which drags a bit.

All in all, on relistening to both, Ziggy is the superior album by quite the margin. Both, I repeat, are masterpieces.

EDIT: Oh, and the reason I made this post: Ziggy has six songs that are better than When the Levee Breaks.

O.K. let me get this straight Bork. You have Zep IV at #35 on your chart yet you say Ziggy has SIX songs better than When the Levee Breaks Shocked

Just curious as to how IV even made your chart at all then Think

• Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/08/2011 01:50
  • Post subject:
mooseboy101 wrote:
GARY wrote:

Link

It's not even there own fucking song.

Let's not even go down that road again Rolling Eyes

Led Zeppelin is one of the MOST COPIED bands of all time Not talking

So then, by your standards, much of the music today is not as good because they copied from Zeppelin d'oh!

Yes WTLB is based on a song from 1929 but the lyrics are different and the music is all Led Zeppelin Very Happy

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2011 03:38
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Bork wrote:

O.K. let me get this straight Bork. You have Zep IV at #35 on your chart yet you say Ziggy has SIX songs better than When the Levee Breaks :shock:

Just curious as to how IV even made your chart at all then :-k

As I said twice, IV is one damned good album. I have Ziggy at #5 though. That means it is one damned damned good album. Now note, I never said there are six songs on Ziggy better than the best song on IV. I said there are six songs better than Levee. Levee is not the best song on IV.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/08/2011 03:47
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
GARY wrote:
Bork wrote:

O.K. let me get this straight Bork. You have Zep IV at #35 on your chart yet you say Ziggy has SIX songs better than When the Levee Breaks Shocked

Just curious as to how IV even made your chart at all then Think

As I said twice, IV is one damned good album. I have Ziggy at #5 though. That means it is one damned damned good album. Now note, I never said there are six songs on Ziggy better than the best song on IV. I said there are six songs better than Levee. Levee is not the best song on IV.

IMO the problem with IV is that, at least in places where I have lived, 4 songs on the album have been waaay overplayed for decades. Honestly, I don't even listen to IV anymore.

But if you asked me (and most of my friends) back in 1978 what the best album ever was. We would have said IV.

• Visit poster's website
Bork
Executive Hillbilly

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2011 03:57
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
IMO the problem with IV is that, at least in places where I have lived, 4 songs on the album have been waaay overplayed for decades. Honestly, I don't even listen to IV anymore.

But if you asked me (and most of my friends) back in 1978 what the best album ever was. We would have said IV.

And you can't be looked down on for it. IV is one of the greatest albums ever made. Sure, Stairway is overplayed, but the greatness of it all is proved twice by that: 1. It is overplayed because it has one of the best guitar riffs ever written incorporated into one of the best songs ever written, and 2. Even though it is overplayed it is still highly enjoyable to hear it every time it is played.

I just wish all mediocre cover bands would have some sort of respect for the song and stay clear of it.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 07/08/2011 04:43
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
GARY wrote:

And you can't be looked down on for it. IV is one of the greatest albums ever made. Sure, Stairway is overplayed, but the greatness of it all is proved twice by that: 1. It is overplayed because it has one of the best guitar riffs ever written incorporated into one of the best songs ever written, and 2. Even though it is overplayed it is still highly enjoyable to hear it every time it is played.

I just wish all mediocre cover bands would have some sort of respect for the song and stay clear of it.

Laughing Ya, me also. It's embarrassing watching guitarists in cover bands TRYING to play Jimmy Page's Stairway to Heaven solo Embarassed

Same goes for Freebird by L.S.

• Visit poster's website
Polythene Pam

• Posted: 07/08/2011 04:49
  • Post subject:
yeah i like them both a lot. This isnt much of a contest though.