Best Ever Horror Films [List]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2016 19:53
  • Post subject:
The Hitchcock love is strong with this site. I agree though Psycho is awesome. I'm not as big a fan of the shining. I need to give it another chance. Happy to see Halloween so high - the king of all slasher films.

Overall yeah this is great and I really need to stop being a dum dum and see The Wicker Man and Suspiria. I like.

Oh and Hayden, now that Alien has arrived top ten of another list, you think you'll be getting to seeing that masterpiece finally? I think you'll really really like it.

Oh and Hayden another thing - thanks! This list was good fun! You da best.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/30/2016 20:05
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

Oh and Hayden, now that Alien has arrived top ten of another list, you think you'll be getting to seeing that masterpiece finally? I think you'll really really like it.

Thanks Merc.

And possibly. It's not exactly on the forefront of my list, but I'll see it eventually Smile There were definitely a few films I figured I should watch before this poll that I never got around to Sad (mind you, local film fest this week Mr. Green so they'll have to wait).

That being said, you have to check out The Wicker Man. I don't think I know anyone who's seen it and not enjoyed it.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2016 20:12
  • Post subject:
I knew the order would be pretty random, and that it is. But it's a fun list. Would have been a little more fun without all the Scream, Final Destination and Saw sequels (and The Ring 2 - was that even any good?) but I digress. Top 10 isn't too shocking, though I'm happy Suspiria made it that far... Did I miss Zombie/Zombi 2 or was it really not here?

Edit: Also, I love the photos included this go around, although I'm 99% certain the picture from Hellraiser isn't from the first one. Looks too babyfaced and HD, that's gotta be a newer one.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/30/2016 20:25
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Edit: Also, I love the photos included this go around, although I'm 99% certain the picture from Hellraiser isn't from the first one. Looks too babyfaced and HD, that's gotta be a newer one.

I have to apologize in advance for this. I've only seen about 25% of the list, and I have absolutely not idea if the pictures to a lot of the films with sequels are actually from that film. I just kinda trusted Google Laughing I'm referring to Ring, Ring 2, Saw, Final Destination, etc... Hellraiser might be incorrect too. If you guys notice anything like that, just let me know Smile

Also, there were at least 3 or 4 films that I really struggled to find photos from that follow the site regulations Laughing
Allabaster

• Posted: 10/30/2016 20:39
  • Post subject:
Psycho is an excellent, ground-breaking film, but 56 years on, I do not feel that it represents the genre as well as the rest of the top 10.

Still, it is a wonderful list of films. What a pleasant surprise to find a community of horror lovers on a music forum.
undefined

• Posted: 10/30/2016 20:50
  • Post subject:
Allabaster wrote:
Still, it is a wonderful list of films. What a pleasant surprise to find a community of horror lovers on a music forum.

I think it makes perfect sense, given how (as Hayden mentioned earlier) horror films have some of the absolute most iconic soundtracks.

Anyway, awesome work Hayden (as usual) and good work to all of you BEA, this is one of the better ones of these we've done so far

P.S. I don't know how I managed to forget to put Hour of the Wolf on my list. Fuck.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2016 02:49
  • Post subject:
Cool list with a chunk to check out that as others have mentioned is a little sequel heavy at parts but yeah. Definitely some classics I still have to check out.

By the way, has anyone here seen Kurutta Ippeji? I forgot to put it on my list but enjoyed it a lot and it is in terms of time period and setting similar to Caligari but a pretty different feel as a whole that I found much creepier.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
DrewHamster

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2016 04:00
  • Post subject:
Extremely pleasantly surprised with this list (maybe because 25 of the films from list made the final 100, but who is counting Razz ). Anyway I think it's a great mix of classic and new, artsy and fun. It is a bit odd to see Scream 3 make the list since it's usually considered the worst of the series with Scream 2 not being present when it's usually considered as good as if not better than the first. And of course I'm so glad to see 2 of my Top 15 films in the Top 10 here (Alien and The Shining). I really want to see Suspiria and Dario Argento's other films. The screen grab from The Bird with the Crystal Plumage makes it look especially interesting.

Also that image of Pinhead is definitely not from the first Hellraiser film. I thinking that's from that last one that came out when they had someone else take over from Doug Bradley.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 10/31/2016 05:46
  • Post subject:
Figured I'd throw together some personal fun facts after analyzing the list a bit further. I'll save the real facts for Hayden (I've already got the director count tallied though, and the right person had the most films).

There are three films on the list I've never seen: Tetsuo: The Iron Man (#57), Dead of Night (#66) and The Cremator (#89). They appear to be quirky choices (at least based on the pictures and/or titles), so I look forward to seeing them. With that said I suppose I need to rewatch The Ring 2 (#55) because I saw it in the theater when it came out and don't remember it being all that good, much less better than its predecessors (#59 and #69). Then again I stopped caring as much about the genre a couple years prior and rarely find a 21st century horror movie worth talking about (although the genre has been better off these last 13 years than it was the 13 year prior IMO

Top 5 Movies That Made This List, But Didn't Make Mine (and why)
12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (very effective for what it is, but what it is, is a fun-free film with annoying protagonists, no interesting camera shots, very little gore, and practically no music; still deserving of its praise and position on this list)
13. Don't Look Now (I kinda put this in the drama thriller category, although it's certainly a very unsettling experience)
17. Eraserhead (surreal, weird, trippy as fuck; it just looks out of place in a list of horror films, even though it's an all time favorite)
24. Shaun of the Dead (I absolutely love this film, and sincerely apologize to it for deciding to taking my list in another direction)
25. The Babadook (pretty creepy movie actually; I agree that it's one of the best of the decade. Only watched it once though and was a tad distracted)

Top 5 Movies That Made My List, But Not This One (and why they should have)
20. Maniac (for Joe Spinell's sick performance)
21. Zombie (for multiple unforgettable looking zombies)
33. Fright Night (for being the coolest vampire movie ever)
36. When a Stranger Calls (for that opening scene)
38. Day of the Dead (for Tom Savini's greatest achievement in gore effects)

Top 5 Most Surprising Omissions(and why)
Phantom of the Opera is considered part of the holy trinity of silent horror films - the other two made the top 20.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers from '78 is a very effective remake; I honestly thought it was the more popular of the two, although in the end only the original made my list.
Nosferatu the Vampyre is a Herzog-Kinski collaboration, and is among either's best films. This one had to have been close.
The Lost Boys made our top 100 of the 80s, didn't it?
Army of Darkness, although more like a medieval action comedy, is strangely missing considering the first two Evil Dead films were good enough to both make the top 20.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/31/2016 10:12
  • Post subject:
Nice list, Hayden, thanks again. Lots of recs.
  • Visit poster's website