Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament (group stage)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/13/2021 21:07
  • Post subject:
at least for me personally this round I've been interacting less in part because I'm still trying to decide how I'm voting, and don't think just posting "shit idunno" in every thread is particularly constructive haha. last round I had a pretty clear idea of who I was voting for and why but the teams this round are way closer for me (although I suppose if we approach the deadline I'll just bite the bullet and "interact" by elaborating on my indecision lol)

basically everyone did too good a job this round Not talking
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 02/13/2021 23:18
  • Post subject:
KitchenSink wrote:
at least for me personally this round I've been interacting less in part because I'm still trying to decide how I'm voting, and don't think just posting "shit idunno" in every thread is particularly constructive haha. last round I had a pretty clear idea of who I was voting for and why but the teams this round are way closer for me (although I suppose if we approach the deadline I'll just bite the bullet and "interact" by elaborating on my indecision lol)

I spent one whole match waffling on why I was gonna vote one team, only to go ahead and vote the opposite when the voting opened up Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2021 20:20
  • Post subject:
Just re-upping this before everyone submits their final group stage teams.

Skinny wrote:
For the quarter-finals, users will nominate four albums and four singles for a matchup against another year. Two albums and two singles can be recycled from a user's group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their quarter-final matchup will then proceed to the semi-final.

In the semi-final, users will nominate five albums and five singles. None of these picks are allowed to be recycled from the quarter-final picks. Three albums and three singles are to be recycled from a year's remaining (four) group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their semi-final matchup will then proceed to the final, whilst the losers will proceed to a third-place playoff.

In both the final and the third-place playoff, users will nominate twelve albums and twelve singles. Ten albums and ten singles will be the nominations used throughout the tournament at various stages, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament.

To clarify, how people vote in subsequent rounds must be based on the the whole teams for that round and NOT the new additions to those teams. Do I have that right, Skinny? I get the sense that if it is not explicitly stated, there will be some people who base their vote solely or disproportionately on the new additions in the coming stages.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/14/2021 20:44
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Just re-upping this before everyone submits their final group stage teams.

Skinny wrote:
For the quarter-finals, users will nominate four albums and four singles for a matchup against another year. Two albums and two singles can be recycled from a user's group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their quarter-final matchup will then proceed to the semi-final.

In the semi-final, users will nominate five albums and five singles. None of these picks are allowed to be recycled from the quarter-final picks. Three albums and three singles are to be recycled from a year's remaining (four) group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their semi-final matchup will then proceed to the final, whilst the losers will proceed to a third-place playoff.

In both the final and the third-place playoff, users will nominate twelve albums and twelve singles. Ten albums and ten singles will be the nominations used throughout the tournament at various stages, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament.

To clarify, how people vote in subsequent rounds must be based on the the whole teams for that round and NOT the new additions to those teams. Do I have that right, Skinny? I get the sense that if it is not explicitly stated, there will be some people who base their vote solely or disproportionately on the new additions in the coming stages.

Correct. Users must vote based on their thoughts on an entire team, not simply new entries.
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/14/2021 22:45
  • Post subject:
Considering that the recycling of picks is not obligatory, it would be interesting to see how a team that comprises entirely new picks will fare against a team composed of some fresh and some already used ones. I would treat the former more favorably on general principle, but of course it depends on the specific matchup and how deep each year runs so that it can afford such a luxury.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2021 05:53
  • Post subject:
I totally did not understand how this worked.

Laughing Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2021 06:11
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I totally did not understand how this worked.

Laughing Brick wall

That's alright, there's a 50% chance N was drunk when he wrote it... hehe just messin (only saying that because of how often you say it N... Laughing )

Also I didn't either, but I'm in for the ride! Honestly think that's half of why this is going well...

Oh that and because we are American idiots and don't watch enough real football.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/15/2021 11:56
  • Post subject:
Yeah I misread the part about new albums too. This makes it even more exciting tbh. Don't think football has anything to do with 2 old + 2 new albums, we all just dumb in general Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/15/2021 12:29
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Considering that the recycling of picks is not obligatory, it would be interesting to see how a team that comprises entirely new picks will fare against a team composed of some fresh and some already used ones. I would treat the former more favorably on general principle, but of course it depends on the specific matchup and how deep each year runs so that it can afford such a luxury.

I would strongly encourage voters to strictly vote based on the whole team as presented, and to try not to weight new picks over recycled ones. Again, it's your prerogative, but I think it would strongly favour more recent years - in which there are far more options for users to choose from - in a way that doesn't necessarily correlate with the spirit of the tournament. (However, you could just as easily make the argument that more recent years face other disadvantages.)

As stated previously, I do not wish to stifle variety. If you want to use entirely new picks in the knockout stages, please do! Just remember that you cannot use an album or single which overlaps with a previous choice. (For example, Repo cannot now nominate Country Grammar in the knockout stages on account of him having already nominated 'Ride Wit Me' earlier in the tournament. This means you must think carefully about your picks for the final Group Stage match with regards to moving forward.)

Apologies if this wasn't made clear enough earlier in the tournament; I hope it doesn't present anybody with major issues moving forward!

Peace.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/15/2021 18:35
  • Post subject:
Two days left before polls close on the Gameweek Two matches.