• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:14
  • Post subject:
Is post-rock too broad to be nominated?
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:30
  • Post subject:
IrishMusichead wrote:
Is post-rock too broad to be nominated?

No. That's a great one! We can always further divide any given genre as the need arises.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:34
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:

EDIT3: Also, should I make the user post the thread regarding the nomination they chose or should I just post everything (I think users who nominate certain genres tend to understand them better)?

isn't it possible to nominate sub-genres just out of desire to learn more about them? For instance, I'd be willing to know more about these metal subgenres:
stoner
sludge
drone
But I'm certainly not apt to post the thread myself, as I know nothing about these.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:38
  • Post subject:
I'm not against the idea, by any means, but if there will really be a separate thread for each subgenre, it seems like it could add a lot of clutter to the Music forum. Maybe a separate "Recommendations" forum?
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:40
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I'm not against the idea, by any means, but if there will really be a separate thread for each subgenre, it seems like it could add a lot of clutter to the Music forum. Maybe a separate "Recommendations" forum?

Agreed. It's already really difficult to follow what's going on unless you're constantly checking. A separate Music Recommendations forum would be a pretty great addition
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:48
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:

This seems like a very intriguing solution to this as well. I'll message AM about it. If I understand correctly, you're basically saying we should have another section entirely for recommendations (where people can create threads), correct?

Norman Bates wrote:
isn't it possible to nominate sub-genres just out of desire to learn more about them? For instance, I'd be willing to know more about these metal subgenres:
stoner
sludge
drone
But I'm certainly not apt to post the thread myself, as I know nothing about these.

That's one of the issues I was thinking of. Assuming Tiger's suggestion isn't possible, then I guess the best solution would either me be posting or certain people who are more familiar with the genre be posting it (volunteers)
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/29/2014 18:50
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
This seems like a very intriguing solution to this as well. I'll message AM about it. If I understand correctly, you're basically saying we should have another section entirely for recommendations (where people can create threads), correct?

Yeah, I'm going to post about it in the Suggestions forum so that we can be sure it gets AM's attention and so that other users can voice their opinions.
Happymeal

• Posted: 05/29/2014 20:42
  • Post subject:
I'm going to respond to a few posts in order to clear perplexity or create new ideas.

newbands1 wrote:
How about instead of krautrock we have one "experimental 60's/70's"

encompassing Berlin School,avant,prog,Art, experimental rock and all the other miscellaneous "experimental"stuff like Minimalism, Musique concrète,Modern Classical

Nickvolos made a good point here. However, experimental encompasses quite a bit so if you want to nominate straight out huge genres, give a pretty specific time period for it! 90's post - hardcore is a perfect example of this. A good decade of a certain genre so there isn't too much hassle regarding what to include.

creator wrote:
I would love to see a guide on here that introduces the most popular albums of a genre. There have been times when I wanted to try something new, but I didn't know where to look. The guide could include five or ten albums per genre and suggest related genres. Here is an example:

Indie Rock
also try post-punk, indie folk, and indie pop

Pixies - Doolittle (1989)
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand (1994)
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On (1997)

The discussion threads could be a great place to develop the lists.

Pretty cool idea, any new music listeners willing to broaden their perspective would appreciate this greatly, I personally wouldn't know how to oversee this portion of the whole idea though so perhaps someone else might want to start this (if the recommendation Tiger made goes through, then this would fit there as well), but, if not, then I'll get on it after everything else here is decided.

RepoMan wrote:
No. That's a great one! We can always further divide any given genre as the need arises.

Repoman is spot on with this assertion. For ex. Drone doesn't necessarily need to have drone metal in it if we decide that drone metal gets its own thread.

Last edited by Happymeal on 05/29/2014 20:46; edited 1 time in total
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 05/29/2014 20:45
  • Post subject:
In that case, post-rock can be my nomination.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/29/2014 22:17
  • Post subject:
I'd like to add rural/deep blues. Basically all the offshoots of pre-world war 2, acoustic blues.

Also...

That's all

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website