pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 10/24/2014 17:36
  • Post subject:
Mies wrote:
What??!! Shocked
Ahah
Ok start with Another Green World, it's really a classic, even people who don't like Eno (if they exist) prob like it.
Or maybe Taking Tiger Mountain, too.

ok I will start with Another Green. I have this feeling, unjustified feeling, that Eno is boring..don't ask me why!
but I know that you don't listen to boring things...so I'm gonna give it a spin soon Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/26/2014 05:53
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
As someone with ADD tendencies, this level of attention to detail is difficult to fathom. Regardless, your note got me thinking about ambient music and the role it plays in the life of avid music lovers. In your mind, what is ambient music? Here I'm not talking about the ambient genre, but rather "ambient" as a descriptive term. Would you say The Disintegration Loops failed as ambient music?

Also, what fraction of your listening is done with music serving an "ambient" role?

Ha interesting question. I suppose if we define the adjective "ambient" (insofar as it applies to music) to mean solely music that fills the role of "background music" or ("study music" as I put it), then I suppose The Disintegration Loops fails in all the best ways. I still don't fully understand how Basinski's work can manage to get such a firm threshold on my attention when really the concept of his music is so simple. Maybe that's where the attention-grabbing factor lies; The Disintegration Loops is (are?) deceptively simple; there's really just a single strand of (disintegrating) music running through the whole thing... it's one thing to hold my attention with hooks and layered complexity, but there's something so just demandingly beautiful (and utterly transfixing) about watching this single strand music slowly and subtly fade into oblivion just as you start becoming so intimately familiar with every little melodic nuance...

for anyone that hasn't seen the 9/11 film associated with "dlp 1.1", here. I won't cloud it with words

Link

So as for the question you actually asked (which I just realized has almost nothing to do with the above), I suppose music that fills my role of "background music" firstly has to be music with which I am already familiar; (can never listen to new albums with too many distractions). Beyond that it varies immensely; e.g. as I am writing this I am listening to The Dead Texan, but I can count several times with this exact same album where it's "failed" as ambient music, where it's somehow pulled my attention entirely towards itself. I'm gonna stop myself now before I continue this circumlocutory declaration of "I honestly don't know". There is very little measurable rhyme or reason to the evidently arbitrary system by which my brain determines what music I can listen to as "ambient" at any given time. If the music becomes distracting, I throw on something else, (and generally repeat the process ad nauseam until whatever work I was trying to accomplish is already long overdue and I've ceased to give any quantifiable fuck). I realize this is a fairly disappointing answer. Oh well. Fuck yeah Basinski.

pa wrote:
even if I didn't write any post I've been following this thread since the beginning and I'm really enjoying it Very Happy
I really love the comment on Ys by Joanna Newsom:
"And essentially this is what Ys is all about, an implicit sense of beauty that slowly seeps into your consciousness without ever forcing itself. Very scarcely can an album be this intricately and meticulously arranged, and yet still so effortlessly beautiful"
was it love af first sight?

Yes and no (shut up Dave). I was immediately taken with Ys on my first listen, but it's one of those albums for which my affection has only increased the more time I've taken to get to know it. The intricacies of the chamber music arrangements, the way Newsom's beautifully untrained voice just bounces back and forth off of her harp, and especially the deep sublime texture of her lyrics, for which I cannot express my love enough. So love at first sight yes, but a love that's only deepened over time.

pa wrote:
ok I know who Eno is but I never listened to any of his records, which is the best one to start with?

Ok so this is a big(ish) question seeing as Eno has covered a fuckton of different styles throughout his career. I will second Mies in saying that AWG is probably a good starting place seeing as a great many of his myriad styles all come together in perfect synthesis on that album. I suppose listen to Another Green World, and identify your favorite elements and I will happily direct you to aspects of his work that reflect those elements to a greater degree via a more specified approach. Or if you just want recs then go and listen to Ambient 1: Music For Airports, Here Come the Warm Jets, Thursday Afternoon, and Before and After Science. Also I highly recommend most of his work with Roxy Music as well as his production work with Talking Heads and David Bowie (which you probably have already heard at some point), and I think more than anything (other than AGW), I'd recommend this

My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts by Brian ...avid Byrne
(because it is lovely)
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/27/2014 01:18
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Ha interesting question. I suppose if we define the adjective "ambient" (insofar as it applies to music) to mean solely music that fills the role of "background music" or ("study music" as I put it), then I suppose The Disintegration Loops fails in all the best ways. I still don't fully understand how Basinski's work can manage to get such a firm threshold on my attention when really the concept of his music is so simple. Maybe that's where the attention-grabbing factor lies; The Disintegration Loops is (are?) deceptively simple; there's really just a single strand of (disintegrating) music running through the whole thing... it's one thing to hold my attention with hooks and layered complexity, but there's something so just demandingly beautiful (and utterly transfixing) about watching this single strand music slowly and subtly fade into oblivion just as you start becoming so intimately familiar with every little melodic nuance...

That sounds about right. I asked about Disintegration Loops in particular because one time I tried to use it as nighttime music and my wife complained, asking for something more "conventional." That response from her wouldn't surprise me for a lot of things, but I think of ambient music as something that can play in the background without bothering most folks. In fact, Eno's words on the matter:

Brian Eno wrote:
...[ambient music can be] actively listened to with attention or as easily ignored, depending on the choice of the listener

So I guess both my wife and Brian Eno would agree with you that it fails as ambient music.

However, it does bear a resemblance to the work of another artist on your chart:

Einstein On The Beach by Philip Glass

Both rely on the use of slowly changing, repeated patterns. It seems to me that this kind of music is close (at least in structure) to sounds we might hear in our everyday lives. Is there any kind of "natural" music that you like to listen to? I mean, for example, listening to the birds sing in the morning or listening to the sounds of a busy city from a roadside bench. Do you ever look for music to simulate this sort of real-life experience or is music mostly an escape from the real world for you?
undefined

• Posted: 10/27/2014 07:26
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Both rely on the use of slowly changing, repeated patterns. It seems to me that this kind of music is close (at least in structure) to sounds we might hear in our everyday lives. Is there any kind of "natural" music that you like to listen to? I mean, for example, listening to the birds sing in the morning or listening to the sounds of a busy city from a roadside bench. Do you ever look for music to simulate this sort of real-life experience or is music mostly an escape from the real world for you?

This is gonna sounds cheesy as all hell but I honestly treat the majority of sounds I hear on a daily basis as music to some extent. I adore the sound of rain; why shouldn't rain storms be considered naturally formed aleotoric music? I mean John Cage started making compositional decisions literally by the will of a coin flip. If you were to remove the composer from the equation all together, if the coin were still flipped, the music would turn out the same. Nature flips John Cage composition coins all day, and sometimes it's just grating shit (or just "bad ambient music" perhaps?) but so often I can really enjoy hearing whatever little noises happen to be flying around my periphery, at least to some extent. Then you bring up the idea of music as a form of escapism vs "simulation of real life-experience... hm. Well, certain music can definitely evoke real-life experience, but I don't think I use traditionally arranged music to simulate real-life seeing as I view real life as already having music imbedded into its inherent structure. Einstein on the Beach, Disintegration Loops, etc., while clearly being influenced by the natural progressions of the "music of nature" or whatever, still have a composer sitting behind them. Behind the scenes it's all very precise, even if it comes across as a purely natural development. There is definitely music I use to remove myself from the "real world", however, ironically, some of that "music" is the aforementioned aleotoric natural formations. e.g. I can honestly just loose myself in a rainstorm... (can I put "Random Droplets" by Rain in my top 10?). Anyway, I'd say Einstein on the Beach (as well as most of Glass' work) does more or less remove me from reality. You ever been a passenger in a car while it's raining? Looking at the droplets as they roll down the window, some collect into a single larger droplet, keep rolling, patterns are formed, maybe start seeing which droplets can reach the bottom of the window first? It seems like such a ridiculous thing in which to immerse oneself, but there is just something truly fascinating about how the rain running down the window is always just that (rain running down a window), and it seems utterly monotonous when taken as a whole, but during that car ride, watching every tiny change in the patterns of the individual water droplets and seeing how they interact with each other can capture my attention for I don't even know how long, but it never seems that long at all, and before I know it the car ride is over (or the rain. Whichever ends first). That's more or less how I listen to Glass' music, just replace the droplets with notes and the movements and interaction with tempo and timbre. I certainly wouldn't say music is purely a means of escape or removal from reality, but I definitely spend a lot of my time using it as one. I like getting lost
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/27/2014 13:44
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
This is gonna sounds cheesy as all hell but I honestly treat the majority of sounds I hear on a daily basis as music to some extent.

From what I've heard of your chart, that makes perfect sense. When I started the thread, I described exploring it like taking a hike in the mountains -- I still feel that way. Despite having a wide range of genres and themes, most of the albums on your chart have a very organic feel to them and it has kind of inspired me to listen more closely to the sounds of everyday life.

Anyway, I'm going to end the "official" questioning here, but I hope you don't mind if users (me included) still pop in from time to time to ask questions. I also don't have a problem with you using this thread to announce major updates to your chart in the future.

Thanks, dbz!
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 10/27/2014 14:29
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
...I suppose listen to Another Green World, and identify your favorite elements and I will happily direct you to aspects of his work that reflect those elements to a greater degree via a more specified approach..

thank u dbz, I really like this option Very Happy
and of course I will have a look on My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/27/2014 17:08
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
From what I've heard of your chart, that makes perfect sense. When I started the thread, I described exploring it like taking a hike in the mountains -- I still feel that way. Despite having a wide range of genres and themes, most of the albums on your chart have a very organic feel to them and it has kind of inspired me to listen more closely to the sounds of everyday life.

Anyway, I'm going to end the "official" questioning here, but I hope you don't mind if users (me included) still pop in from time to time to ask questions. I also don't have a problem with you using this thread to announce major updates to your chart in the future.

Thanks, dbz!

Thanks for taking the time to do this tiger. Was I a good guinea pig?
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 10/27/2014 18:03
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Was I a good guinea pig?

Fabulous. Tough act to follow.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2014 19:52
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Fabulous. Tough act to follow.

This. Honestly probably the toughest act to follow.

This has been an awesome read and an amazing thread.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

Last edited by Mercury on 10/27/2014 22:58; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 10/27/2014 22:17
  • Post subject:
D'aww thanks guys <3