Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/15/2016 23:24
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Anyway, glad to see Wilder get so much love with 7 of his 9 '50s movies making the list (Spirit of St. Louis and Love in the Afternoon being the outliers). Wilder is currently my all-time favorite director and I didn't put 7 of his '50s films on the list I submitted. Someone else must love him too, [cough] Mercury.

Wink yep I am beyond happy that Wilder got so much love here. I included 7 wilder and mostly quite high. And the same 7 made it. Yay! He was a truly dazzling filmmaker in every way.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2016 00:23
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:

Anyways when is the director poll going up? I would like to get a list in before I got and get lost in the woods

Not sure. Soon though. Maybe even tomorrow. I think I'm going to use the same formula as the decade lists.

That being said, it's going to last 2 months because I'm MIA for June and a third of July. I think the timeline window will probably be something like May 16th-July16th or something. You guys are going to have quite a while to compile your lists Smile

They'll max out at 100, and the final list will be 100. I think it's going to be very interesting, and the most difficult list to personally compose. Should be a lot of fun though Razz
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 00:43
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm certainly expecting Pinocchio, Dumbo, Bambi and Fantasia to have a good showing on the 40's list though. The later might even make the top 10.

I hope not. Not a fan of the Disney's '40s work except Dumbo and Fun and Fancy Free. The others simply didn't hold up as well when I rewatched them as an adult, especially Pinocchio (more on that later).
Hayden wrote:
The 50's might have been Disney's most consistent decade too... they released 5 amazing movies.

I don't know if I'd use the word amazing to describe any their '50s output but I def agree they were all solid. We both hoped and figured at least one would make the list. Perhaps many folks feel as Merc does:
Mercury wrote:
I'm just not a cartoon fan. So I literally just went through and took off all those types of movies from my rough draft. As a result I had none of the Disney movies. I liked them as a kid. But I haven't gone back to any of them since I was about 12.

I know how you feel man. It's perfectly natural for adolescents and teenagers to reject Disney movies they liked as a little kid. I went through that. And then by the time I was in my early 20s, I hadn't watched any of them in 10-15 years and had forgotten almost everything about them. So a few years back I went through a phase and watched/rewatched 2-3 dozen old Disney movies and it was a surprising venture. It was like watching them for the first time because A. I had forgotten them and B. I was seeing them for the first time as a wiser adult. Some that I remembered liking as a little kid, I now found were mediocre/weak (ex. Pinocchio and Snow White). Others I used to think were mediocre, I realized were great (ex. Robin Hood and Dumbo). I guess that shouldn't be surprising. When we're little kids, we don't really understand why we think things are good and bad. Some of us liked Barney when we were 4 and look what we thought of that a few years later. Anyway, Mercury, the point is if you haven't watched some old Disney pics since you were 12, you might as well consider them as if you've never seen them at all.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 01:05
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Wink yep I am beyond happy that Wilder got so much love here. I included 7 wilder and mostly quite high. And the same 7 made it. Yay! He was a truly dazzling filmmaker in every way.

I've seen 8 of his 9 '50s films, and I had 6 on my list. Love in the Afternoon is the only one I haven't seen. I've seen The Seven Year Itch and The Spirit of St. Louis, but didn't like them enough to put on my list. But everything else was gold. Sunset Blvd and Ace in the Hole were in my Top 10. Anyway, Wilder won't get as much in the '40s poll. He'll get 1 or 2, 3 if we really show support. Though personally Double Indemnity will probably be the only one on my '40s list. And I don't think he really deserves more than that (maybe Lost Weekend?) because the '50s were his prime. And our list shows it!
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 05/16/2016 01:34
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Double Indemnity will probably be the only one on my '40s list. And I don't think he really deserves more than that (maybe Lost Weekend?) because the '50s were his prime.

Lost Weekend is actually my 3rd ranked Wilder film overall (behind Sunset Blvd and The Apartment). I know it doesn't have nearly the acclaim it had upon its initial release, but still hoping for a good showing from it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/16/2016 02:22
  • Post subject:
My 40's list probably won't be too lengthy... it might end up being only be 25 films or so. Although, I really like most of them. Hoping I get a chance to watch a few more before the list of course.

That being said, do you guys think it makes sense to run the 40's list and the directors list at the same time? Have them both running over the course of two months instead of two one-month intervals? The thought just occurred to me. It wouldn't be any trouble on my part. I would just need everyone to PM me (instead of only posting in the thread... like, you can post them of course, but I need the PM) to make sure I don't miss anyone's lists Smile

So, yea or nay on having the two run at the same time? The alternative is to do the directors poll, and then start the 40's list mid-July. Either way, I think I'll put the director's poll up tomorrow.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 02:34
  • Post subject:
I'm totally down for doing both. It'll give us more to talk about during your absence. Plus there are a lot of directors who hit their peak in the 40s that shouldn't be forgotten. I've still got very little interest in anything music related although I've got a big overhaul on that list on the horizon.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 02:48
  • Post subject:
Two at a time? I don't even want to do one for a while. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a month or two off before the next poll. Summer is coming and I'll be very busy with work, plus the movies I'll be wanting to see are current/recent releases. I'm already seven movies behind for 2016. So yeah I would vote no on two at a time. If we must do one, let's keep it at that. But that's just me.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 03:36
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Natch, forgot to get my list in, but o well excellent job as always, though obv no A Star is Born (though a three-hour Judy Garland musical may not be to everybody's fancy and that's okay) and geniunely surprised by the relatively weak showing of Bergman- Sawdust and Tinsel is very underrated (and very, very dark) and imo his first great film.

I'm a little surprised myself that Smiles of a Summer Night missed the cut. I figured it would have been seen by enough people and it's well regarded enough. But yeah I'd be curious to find out where that, Sawdust, Summer with Monika and The Magician ended up. Ditto on A Star is Born as well. Musicals did fare a tad better here than they did in the 60s though.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2016 03:41
  • Post subject:
I'm in favor of 2 at a time. In theory it's just about making lists, edits, and more edits and then submitting them. I'm interested in both for sure.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website