Best Ever Early Cinema (Pre-1930) [Cut-off]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 03/07/2017 17:55
  • Post subject:
My official submission. I'd love to add more, but I simply haven't the opportunity. Starting from #1!

Metropolis
The Kid
Dream of a Rarebit Fiend
Intolerance
Greed
Sunrise
The General
Un Chien Andalou
Sherlock Jr
Shoulder Arms
Passion of Joan of Arc
Man Who Laughs
Man With a Movie Camera
Foolish Wives
Spione
Diary of a Lost Girl
The Circus
Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Last Laugh
The Wind
Seven Chances
The Gold Rush
Die Nibelungen
He Who Gets Slapped
Pandora's Box
Broken Blossoms
Ben Hur
Phantom of the Opera
Dr Mabuse, the Gambler
October
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Battleship Potemkin
Steamboat Bill Jr
The Lodger
Safety Last
Thief of Bagdad
Wings
A Trip to the Moon
The Freshman
Workers Exiting the Factory
Cabiria
Great Train Robbery
Destiny
Variete
Arrival of a Train
The Black Pirate
Aelita
Berlin: Symphony of a Great City
Tillie's Punctured Romance
Three Ages
L'Argent
The Immigrant
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2017 21:39
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Thanks for the links earlier you fine person.

Any time.

Mercury wrote:
I have gone through a bit of a Buster Keaton love-fest lately. And I discovered to my surprise I like his 20s work even more than Chaplin's. Slightly more. Both were great. Still very ignorant of their peer Harold Lloyd. Maybe I will see The Freshman before the final deadline.

Keaton had the better body of work in the '20s no doubt. Harold Lloyd is totally worth getting into. Some of his films are like Keaton, gag/action-oriented (Safety Last, A Sailor Made Man); While others are like Chaplin, more character-driven (The Kid Brother, Grandma's Boy). Lloyd was never better than either, but pretty solid in his own right.

Mercury wrote:
As for the blatant racism of The Cheat and especially The Birth of a Nation, it was a challenge looking past those scourges and just looking at the films themselves. If not for TBoAN's wildly dehumanizing aspects, it may have been top 5. It's truly incredible and maybe the single most influential film ever made. I tried to give it it's artistic dues, but I'd be lying if I didn't drop it a few spots as a result of the other factors. Same with the Cheat to a lesser degree. There's some seriously wild and disturbing sexual violence on display here, quite shocking as it was released in '15 (what's with these '15 movies?). And the Burmese trader played brilliantly by Sessue Hayakawa definitely reeks of teens era bigotry against asian people. But those contextual concerns aside, the film was still pretty good and fun and surprisingly shocking for a film over a hundred years old.

Well in 1915 there was no MPAA, Production Code Administration, or any organization to censor film. So there was a lot risque stuff in the movies in the early days.

I don't think it's fair to criticize Birth of a Nation for being racist, because come on, it was 1915, a time when lynchings were a weekly event. What did you expect, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? Rather, Birth of a Nation accurately depicted how most of White America viewed blacks at the time. Obviously we are offended by it now in 2017. But perhaps its power to offend is one of its strengths? Perhaps another strength is its place in history, both in film and society?

Mercury wrote:
Also, one of the newer watches (again, thanks to those links) was Man With A Movie Camera. This was pretty eye opening. I really was impressed by the execution of this experiment. And I hope it gets some love here on BEA. Note: its meant to be played with accompanying music. I had to cue up music from itunes that apparently was designed for the viewing of the film. All the links i found on youtube were completely silent and as a result my first dive into the film was an interesting but eventually very boring experience for me. But that's just me. I for one highly recommend the film and the film with music if you can find such a version.

Is this the correct accompanying music? I haven't seen it, and want to before deadline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z97Pa0ICpn8
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2017 03:44
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the lists everyone Smile

Gave J'Accuse! a watch. Definitely worth it. Tad long, but as far as early epics go I found it far more rewarding than Birth of A Nation (which apart from historical significance, I'm really not too big on).

Genuinely looking forward to seeing how our final lists ends up. This could easily end up being our most interesting and surprising poll yet.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2017 05:35
  • Post subject:
Hey StreetSpirit, sorry for the communication lag there. Yeah that sounds okay on the video you shared. Clearly I didn't find that one. And the music is different. I found an album made for the movie on iTunes. It's more weird, but now that I think of it, the music I heard in your vid is better. I don't think there is an official score or anything for it.

And I agree with what you said about The Cheat and Birth of a Nation. May reconsider my placement before the deadline.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2017 14:40
  • Post subject:
I don’t dislike The Birth of a Nation because it’s racist, I dislike it because it’s a piece of shit—even accounting for its era, the styles of the time, and the infancy of the artform.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 03/08/2017 15:42
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I don’t dislike The Birth of a Nation because it’s racist, I dislike it because it’s a piece of shit—even accounting for its era, the styles of the time, and the infancy of the artform.

Yeah, basically this. I dislike it as a film. Frankly, it's nearly impossible to sit through.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2017 19:49
  • Post subject:
Gowi, Birth of a Nation is a piece of shit? That's being harsh. From a modern perspective I'd agree it's cinematically dated, but its techniques are still expressive, and years ahead of everything else being made in 1915. I get where you're coming from given the list you submitted.

Mercury, before I watch Man With a Movie Camera, I wanted to make sure to see the version with the right music. If you say the link I posted is good, I'll go for it. Thanks. Hope to enjoy it as much as you did!

On another note, what is with all these lists that have The Kid higher than The Circus, or don't have The Circus at all? Are you all fucking blind (except you Norman Bates)? The Kid is all fine and dandy, but The Circus is way better. It has the classic Chaplin nuance but its gags are funnier and better filmed (The Lion Cage, The Mirror Maze, The Tightrope). And that final scene packs a punch that rivals the ending of City Lights. Y'all need to watch or rewatch The Circus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2yI74k-mEc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjp3Sbtx3fI
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2017 23:34
  • Post subject:
Coming from the guy that ranked Chaplin #1 on his directors list, The Circus is like an 85/100 while The Kid (and every other feature length Tramp film) is a 110/100. Yes. 110. I do love The Circus. It just doesn't pack the emotional punch of his top tier work, at least not to me.

I've been so busy with life lately. Working lots of hours, chasing females, taking care of the kids, shit like that. Nothing of note to really even come here to discuss; I'm sure I'll get back into music and what not soon though. But I'm off tomorrow so I might take the time to submit a list then.
  • Visit poster's website
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2017 02:37
  • Post subject:
So I just watched the Circus, and I really enjoyed it, I'm honestly not sure if I like it more than the kid though, If we're judging it solely on the jokes then the circus is better, but the kid feels more heartfelt
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2017 00:27
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I do love The Circus. It just doesn't pack the emotional punch of his top tier work, at least not to me.
hereforashortime wrote:
So I just watched the Circus, and I really enjoyed it, I'm honestly not sure if I like it more than the kid though, If we're judging it solely on the jokes then the circus is better, but the kid feels more heartfelt

Glad you enjoyed it, HFAST. I agree the main portion of The Circus isn't as heartfelt as most of Chaplin's other work but I'll always say the ending makes up for it...allegorical, and downright depressing as hell.
  • Visit poster's website