Las Vegas concert massacre

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 10/02/2017 17:53
  • Post subject: Las Vegas concert massacre
Yet another attack on music lovers (Eagles of Death Metal, Ariane Grande) though perhaps not inspired by Isis it's terrorism if the word has any meaning at all. Utterly chilling that hundreds of people have been shot in a matter of minutes by a lone gunmen (? Some people on the ground seem pretty convinced it was multiple). Does this mean the end of music festivals in the U.S where large volumes of people can be mown down quickly? What can be done so this doesn't happen again? This is a very different kind of mass casualty event that could inspire some rotten minds I'm afraid.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 10/02/2017 22:51
  • Post subject:
^^^ If getting rid of festivals were the answer, we wouldn't be able to go to the movies anymore after what happened at that Colorado movie theater a few years ago. Gun control is what should be focused on instead, but at the end of the day when you really think about it, guns are not the only thing that can be used to create such a horror.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/02/2017 23:46
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
If getting rid of festivals were the answer, we wouldn't be able to go to the movies anymore after what happened at that Colorado movie theater a few years ago.

Correct.

JOSweetHeart wrote:
Gun control is what should be focused on instead

Correct.

JOSweetHeart wrote:
but at the end of the day when you really think about it, guns are not the only thing that can be used to create such a horror.

Oh really? Please name me another weapon a common person can easily get a hold of that can kill/injure hundreds of people in a minute, because I can't think of one.

stangetzaway wrote:
Does this mean the end of music festivals in the U.S where large volumes of people can be mown down quickly?

No.

stangetzaway wrote:
What can be done so this doesn't happen again?

It's simple. Take rapid-fire guns away common citizens. We don't need them for any good reason.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 10/03/2017 02:38
  • Post subject: Re: Las Vegas concert massacre
stangetzaway wrote:
Yet another attack on music lovers (Eagles of Death Metal, Ariane Grande) though perhaps not inspired by Isis it's terrorism if the word has any meaning at all. Utterly chilling that hundreds of people have been shot in a matter of minutes by a lone gunmen (? Some people on the ground seem pretty convinced it was multiple). Does this mean the end of music festivals in the U.S where large volumes of people can be mown down quickly? What can be done so this doesn't happen again? This is a very different kind of mass casualty event that could inspire some rotten minds I'm afraid.

A disturbed person shooting into a crowd is about as new and inventive as a coin flip. Sensational media outlets profit from creating a panic, but people who avoid festivals over this are either cowards or fools.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2017 02:51
  • Post subject:
I think semi trucks have been used... but then again that killed a handful/injured 20 or so.

This shooting injured over 500... just think of that people and killed over 50. I can't imagine what first responders were going through to triage that many people and who do you treat first.

I've heard conflicting reports and I don't claim to know anything, but both are feasible:
Dude took a legal firearm and turned it into an automatic weapon.
Automatic weapons are legal in Nevada, but not other places.

To be honest- I think American culture is the problem... only in America will you hear the answer to this problem is to strap a laser scope sniper rifle to everyone's forehead. Then everyone will be safe!!! Idiots.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/03/2017 02:55
TimeLion wrote:
media outlets profit from creating a panic

Car crashes have sold newspapers since day one. Unfortunately, it's definitely tenfold now.

What happened was a tragedy, but I truly don't know what to say. It's apparent what needs to be done to stop this sort of stuff, but Americans don't seem to want to solve the problem. So, yeah, this'll persist. The fact the States are still considered a first world country is beyond me.

seth wrote:
American culture is the problem

At the root, sure.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2017 03:07
  • Post subject:
I realize this might not be tasteful, but I find it so fitting given the chain of events (terrorists and americans).

I also realize they don't exactly equate... but really...
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2017 03:22
  • Post subject:
By the way, this hits home for me. I grew up an hour away in St. George, and have seen many a concert in Vegas.

I also know a lot of gun nuts and I have this feeling that there are hundreds of guys just like this old man. I get the "rights" argument and I also think it is outdated.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/03/2017 04:20
Hayden wrote:
Car crashes have sold newspapers since day one. Unfortunately, it's definitely tenfold now.

What happened was a tragedy, but I truly don't know what to say. It's apparent what needs to be done to stop this sort of stuff, but Americans don't seem to want to solve the problem. So, yeah, this'll persist. The fact the States are still considered a first world country is beyond me.

What's your definition of "first world country"?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/03/2017 04:47
Mercury wrote:
Hayden wrote:

What's your definition of "first world country"?

General safety of citizens, accessible health care, low murder rate, low poverty, income equality, low incarceration, affordable education, justice, low drug crime, paid maternity leave, etc... Stuff that the States should really... work on. Also, Chicago streets are a borderline warzone right now, which is ridiculous. And opting to recently leave the Paris agreement is just embarrassing. Perhaps this isn't shooting isn't the best way to bring this topic up, but the States is currently a bloody mess.

Like, not that it matters, but it's just awful that the States can't seem to get on top of this stuff (mostly blaming Gov, not citizens). I know the origin had something to do with the Cold War, but that definition's gone a little off the rails. Would calling it 'Second World' (kinda in the same club as China, Russia, Cuba, Poland, Hungary, etc...) make any difference? No. Like, it's not an insult or anything, but possibly a wake-up call. I can't imagine quality of life being very good in the States unless you happen to be wealthy.
  • Visit poster's website