Rating Albums That You Haven't Heard

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Do you agree? (leave a reply on why)
Yes
42%
 42%  [14]
No
57%
 57%  [19]
Total Votes : 33

Bi11LL26Y

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:07
  • Post subject: Rating Albums That You Haven't Heard
People need to stop rating albums extremely low or extremely high solely based on whether they THINK they'll like the album or not. Most of the time it's that people rate it extremely low, just because they just don't like/respect the artist. It's kind of immature, not to mention illegitimate. Just listen to the album, or don't leave a rating at all! Should be common sense. What does everyone else think?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:19
  • Post subject:
No, I only rate albums that I've heard. How can you really rate an album if you haven't heard it? Yes, I know I probably would hate whatever album the "macarena" is on, but i don't know for sure... If i'm pretty sure I won't like an album, i simply don't listen to it. I think it's dishonest to do otherwise, but peeps have reasons. I use BEA the way I want, you use BEA the way you want, and we can all agree that the new radiohead album is the best album of the year 2 days after it's released! Very Happy

Also, every single album in one of my charts is an album i've heard. Again, i wouldn't think of doing otherwise.

Last edited by paladisiac on 02/27/2018 15:06; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:23
  • Post subject:
Huh? Why would anyone do that?
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:26
  • Post subject:
Always listen Of course any artists where I may have rated a lot of albums low one may wonder why do you keep listening. Well I have friends a daughter and a wife they like stuff I don't sometimes. Just how it is. Also I hang in record stores etc and sometimes hear stuff I don't particularly like.

Last edited by glynspsa on 02/27/2018 14:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:26
  • Post subject:
I don't find that an issue on BEA, but you see it all the time on movie sites and it's awful.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/27/2018 14:45
  • Post subject:
I only rate albums I have heard several times and know them relatively well, with several exceptions. When an album is truly awful or just not my thing at all, I might rate it after the first listen. Sometimes I don't even listen to the whole album, but those situations are pretty rare. If I really love the album after the first listen, I tend to get overexcited and rate it high. Then I usually end up correcting the rating after several months Smile

But I see so much conformity on BEA... People are afraid to rate an album that has 86/100 low. Also many rate albums very low/high although they haven't even listened to it carefully... Then you have edgy guys who rate a classic 5 or the "cool intellectual guys" who rate Nirvana 40/100 cause they're too smart to like Nirvana but have like 5 Coldplay albums in top 100 Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 15:31
  • Post subject:
glynspsa wrote:
Always listen Of course any artists where I may have rated a lot of albums low one may wonder why do you keep listening. Well I have friends a daughter and a wife they like stuff I don't sometimes. Just how it is. Also I hang in record stores etc and sometimes hear stuff I don't particularly like.

Yeah, there have been albums that i've heard in college and after, especially played by the wife, which i didn't really like too much but i heard all the way through... A small handful of those albums are in my low ratings. One friend I had around the 2000-timeframe loved nu-metal and some awful post-grunge stuff like Creed. Noting that i heard it here on BEA is like someone gifting me a "Listened to the whole 'Chocolate Starfish' album multiple times and all i got out of it was this lousy BEA rating" t-shirt. Brick wall (Well, it was a female friend, so there were other benefits.)
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 16:23
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Then you have edgy guys who rate a classic 5 or the "cool intellectual guys" who rate Nirvana 40/100 cause they're too smart to like Nirvana but have like 5 Coldplay albums in top 100 Laughing

there's nothing wrong with that.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2018 16:26
  • Post subject:
People that rate albums, basically supplying their opinion of an album, without hearing the actual album reminds me of old fart, conservative politicians that hate on an album based on what someone told them without actually hearing it for themselves. (Don't forget the parental advisory sticker!)
  • Visit poster's website
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/27/2018 18:58
  • Post subject:
I agree and all of us seem to agree, still the vote is 6-6... interesting.

Some albums, generally by commercial bands/artsits have too low album rating compared to their track rating and that shows some undeserved hate by people who haven't listened to the album track by track and may only know its single(s) and have decided to give a 5/100. I think these people are a minority over here though but their vote affects a lot for it being so low compared to the average vote.
  • Visit poster's website