Mono or stereo version? Original or remastered?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/11/2018 20:33
  • Post subject: Mono or stereo version? Original or remastered?
For all the audiophiles and music lovers: do you prefer original versions of 50s and 60s classics (usually mono) or the remastered (stereo) versions? And generally, when you have an option to listen to the original album which has decent production for the time or the newly remastered version, which one do you take?

And here are some albums that I think need a good remaster (some may have been fixed already, not sure):
Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good - Megadeth (terrible production, great songs)
Raw Power - Iggy & The Stooges (I've always thought the production sounded dated, but the songs themselves not, and I don't like the 2010 version as well)
...And Justice For All - Metallica (we need justice for Jason and his bass!)
Aqualung - Jethro Tull (never did like the production on this one)
Lizard - King Crimson (love the songs, but the mix sounds weird. I'm yet to listen to Steven Wilson remaster though)
Boy - U2 (just cheap production, it is part of the charm but it's more a problem than a benefit)
Almost all pre 1980 Judas Priest stuff; although their best work, all the albums are very poorly produced

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2018 20:41
  • Post subject:
Honestly i think it varies from record to record but overall i prefer to try and hear the version the artist intended if i can or know which that is.
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2018 21:10
  • Post subject:
I recently picked up a vinyl copy of Octopus by Gentle Giant that was newly mixed and mastered by none other than Steven Wilson.

I had only ever heard the original mix on CD and Spotify, but I can now truly say that this new remaster is so much better! Wilson seems to be going through many classic prog albums and giving them a modern remix which I've heard nothing but good news about.

I will say however that I am normally not a fan of remasters, but this is mostly due to the collector in me who would rather search down the original than pay for a new repress.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 03/11/2018 21:40
  • Post subject:
I always would have thought it makes no difference to me. But weirdly I hugely prefer the Stereo versions of 60s albums than the Mono ones (which sound sleepy in comparison) to the point where I have a different emotional reaction to the music.

I'm thinking of the Beach Boys ones so don't know if I would feel differently with other artists.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2018 21:48
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
I always would have thought it makes no difference to me. But weirdly I hugely prefer the Stereo versions of 60s albums than the Mono ones (which sound sleepy in comparison) to the point where I have a different emotional reaction to the music.

I'm thinking of the Beach Boys ones so don't know if I would feel differently with other artists.

I have to agree. When I'm listening to them digitally on a modern stereo, I totally prefer the stereo remixes. They often sound much better in terms of vibrancy or clarity.

I'm no audiophile, so this topic made me wonder more about it.

Here's a couple articles:
https://www.rarerecords.net/stereo-reco...ne-to-buy/

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto...=112652937
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 03/11/2018 22:16
  • Post subject:
It completely depends on the title. Spending time reading the Steve Hoffman forum, where they argue about various masterings, is enough to drain any love you had for music at all, but there is some truth to it.

Some things benefit from being remastered, but generally speaking most things end up brighter, louder, and worse.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 03/11/2018 22:21
  • Post subject:
an important concern of the remastering is indeed the loudness, to catch up with today's standards (to the detriment of dynamic range).
The 1997 remaster of Raw Power is known to be very loud

Alan Parsons discussing loudness war with other producers (you may skip the 2 min intro)

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2018 22:40
  • Post subject:
remastering a stereo album is mostly silly, but sometimes brings out interesting aspects of the music mixed too low or whatever.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/11/2018 23:11
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
remastering a stereo album is mostly silly, but sometimes brings out interesting aspects of the music mixed too low or whatever.

Yep I agree, but in some famous cases (khm Justice) I think it would benefit the album greatly.
I do know a thing or two about modern production (not an expert mind you), so I know that loud and dynamic but bland production is taking over the industry. But for example, if you give the album to Steven Wilson for remixing I don't think he'd ruin it by trying to catch up with the mainstream production. It depends on who does the remasters I think.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/11/2018 23:23
  • Post subject:
As has been said, just read the Steve Hoffman forum. I've been visiting that plenty of late as have been buying a few vinyl reissues and it's a good place to get general opinion if they any good. Mono or stereo? I tend to find neither from the 60s sound fantastic on headphones. I'm happy either way played through speakers. I know plenty audiophiles always seem to pick mono over stereo when a record has been issued in both.
On remastering I recently got a cd version of Otis Blue I think from the 80s. The horns sounded a bit shrill and digital on the high notes so when I came across what looked like a decent recent vinyl remaster, I bought it. The difference is quite notable. The horns sound as they should but the vocal sounds absolutely incredible. Brings out stuff you don't pick up on the cd version I have. Been playing and buying a bit of 60s RnB/Soul vinyl and I'm not fussed if its mono or stereo a long as its a decent version.
  • Visit poster's website