You must listen to the album above you

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/28/2020 17:02
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
This album is completely improvised on both sises and it was recorded by a teenager in his bedroom in the 80s. It wasn't even meant to be released, so I think that's as good as it gets. Smile

Pretty fascinating stuff, good rec Chief Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/02/2020 08:19
  • Post subject:
Porto Morto by Porto Morto is definitely up my alley.

The modern progressive pop movement has a lot of these mathy moments and lovely flourishes that really grab my attention intrinsically. What a lovely sleeper hit from 2016 that I missed. I think it would be making any updated 2016 chart I do, though I’m not sure in what percentile in the list. But yeah, this is kind of the same stuff that makes me enjoy Atlanter (another progressive pop group) so much, though I think these guys might have more complex arrangements here. I have no idea what is being said here, but that's never stopped me from enjoying the musicality of a record before. Great find.

Next Up:

Lifers by Local H
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2020 05:28
  • Post subject:

Lifers by Local H

I'll need to add this to my 2020 chart. I can't remember why I listened to some of this earlier in the year (it might have been you Gowi) but this is a surprisingly good album for a 2nd tier 90s grunge band. Hard rocking and straight forward, but something like this is certainly needed against the polished production and overall electronic nature of much of new albums this year.

I'm totally uninterested in this year, so here's a country album from awhile ago.

Got No Bread, No Milk, No Money, But We...mes Talley
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2020 09:01
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Lifers by Local H

I'll need to add this to my 2020 chart. I can't remember why I listened to some of this earlier in the year (it might have been you Gowi) but this is a surprisingly good album for a 2nd tier 90s grunge band. Hard rocking and straight forward, but something like this is certainly needed against the polished production and overall electronic nature of much of new albums this year.

That's how I used to view them too. Not anymore. Got see them live at a drive-in concert just a couple of months ago, and they blew me and my girlfriend away. So many great albums and they've only gotten better with time. Must see live!

Gowi hooked me up with rec earlier in the year, and it will definitely be high up in my final year chart.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2020 17:04
  • Post subject:
Now that BEA has an album below you game and an album above you game, I'm really scratching my head on how we can have an album to the left of you and to the right of you and behind you... well ok... I'll stop. d'oh! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/05/2020 19:47
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Got No Bread, No Milk, No Money, But We...mes Talley

Just listened to this three times in a row, so congratulations on finding an unsung classic.

Feels at times in line with other country artists of the time but with a more progressive bluegrass-like sheen. The songwriting both lyrical and musical is just out of this world with Talley’s voice being enjoyable. My first instincts told me to compare this to Jeannie C. Riley but with less pop-oriented accessibility. It’s really fantastic and on first listen I’ve rated it in the 81-90 range and I will most definitely be exploring Talley’s discography when I have the time and interest to do so. If anything is a fraction as good as this record he’ll be regarded quite highly by me. Surprised this isn’t more well-known.

Next Album:

Leaves Of Yesteryear by Green Carnation
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/05/2020 23:01
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Porto Morto by Porto Morto is definitely up my alley.

The modern progressive pop movement has a lot of these mathy moments and lovely flourishes that really grab my attention intrinsically. What a lovely sleeper hit from 2016 that I missed. I think it would be making any updated 2016 chart I do, though I’m not sure in what percentile in the list. But yeah, this is kind of the same stuff that makes me enjoy Atlanter (another progressive pop group) so much, though I think these guys might have more complex arrangements here. I have no idea what is being said here, but that's never stopped me from enjoying the musicality of a record before. Great find.
Love

Always happy to give a shoutout to local bands, especially if they're excellent like Porto Morto. They are tight live too. My favourite show was the one last year when they had cardboard houses on heads (a song on their second album from 2019 is called A House).

Fun, inventive band. And they don't take themselves too seriously. The members met in JeboTon Ansambl (FuckTone Ansamble, "Jeboton" is also a pun on one of the most famous record companies here, Yugoton). But that collective is a story for itself.

Here's a great live session version of Zadnji dan zime ("Last Day of Winter")

Link

Lyrics are fun and don't make a lot of sense, like I said. Here's a rough translation:

Danas je odličan dan
Zajedno smo bez brige
Odličan je, to znam
Danas ne idemo nigdje
Zaboravljaš si ime
Odličan je to dan
Zadnji dan zime

Danas je najljepši dan
Krenuli smo bez brige
Najljepše je, to znam
To što ne idemo nigdje

Danas je najljepši dan
Samo da znaš da ja znam
Danas je najljepši dan
Samo da znaš da ja znam (x3)

Oni ne znaju
Nitko ne zna!
Danas je najljepši dan
Šapni mi, ja znam
Danas je najljepši dan
Samo da znaš da ja znam
Samo da znaš da ja...

Oni ne znaju
Nitko ne zna!
Danas je najljepši dan
Samo da znaš da ja znam
Danas je najljepši dan
Samo da znaš da ja znam (x3)
--------------------------------------
Today is a great day
We're together without worries
It's great, I know
We're going nowhere today
You're forgetting your name
It's a great day
The last day of winter

Today is the best day
We've set off without worries
It's the best, I know
The fact we're going nowhere

Today is the best day
Just so you know that I know
Today is the best day
Just so you know that I know (x3)

They don't know
No one knows!
Today is the best day
Whisper to me, I know
Today is the best day
Just so you know that I...

They don't know
No one knows!
Today is the best day
Today is the best day
Just so you know that I know (x3)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/05/2020 23:04
  • Post subject:

Leaves Of Yesteryear by Green Carnation

This is like a bait for me and I love it. Much like Psychotic Waltz, Green Carnation's comeback is an album that I've had on my wishlist since it dropped, and I never found time for it, so I'm taking a break from Outkast binge now. They're a band by Terje Vik Schei (a.k.a. Tchort), a Norwegian bassist famous for playing on Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse. While their Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness is one of my absolute favourites, the other Green Carnation album I've heard, The Acoustic Verses (from 2006, their last before hiatus), is not nearly as good. It's a very pleasant acoustic goth rock that gets progressive and folky at times, but not nearly as consistent, interesting or captivating as the doomy prog metal of their magnum opus. But I digress. Leaves For Yesteryear is a comeback that's very different from The Acoustic Verses, which in turn is very different from Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness. Quality wise, it's not anywhere near the latter, and it's better and more consistent than the former. The opening title track is a wonderfully crafted, melancholic doomy prog anthem, not as agressive as their peak work but almost equally enthralling. Sentinels is somewhat faster and more energetic, and the rest of the album keeps that good balance of tasty atmospheric doom and punchier prog sound. I think this is an excellent band to get people into this type of metal, the clean vocals and melodic elements help a lot. It'll land somewhere in the 80-100 range of the year.

Next is a fantastic Robbie Basho compilation

Bashovia by Robbie Băsho

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 12/06/2020 01:41
  • Post subject:
@ Gowi

I hadn't listened to that album in some time, but I heard a song from it a few days ago, and forgot how good it was. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2020 19:10
  • Post subject:
I was familiar with most of the tracks on the Basho compilation, and it's always nice to take a listen to them. He's still behind Fahey and a few others for me, but his music may be the most consistently pleasing to listen to.

How about some Jazz Fusion from Japan? Can't go wrong with that.

Silent Dialogue by Masa Matsuda / Yuji Ohno
  • Visit poster's website
Unlocked: 04/03/2023 03:05 by RockyRaccoon