Idea: "today in BEA history" or something like tha

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2013 05:38
  • Post subject: Idea: "today in BEA history" or something like tha
I had an idea of having a feature of the site where there is a "This Date in BEA History" kind of thing. By that I mean for anniversaries of classic records or just important albums are announced and can be discussed in the music forum.

For example today, or yesterday now, the 22nd of march is the 50th anniversary of Please Please Me. yesterday it was the 25th anniversary of Surfer Rosa. Tomorrow, the 23rd of march, is the 57th anniversary of the release of Elvis Presley's debut album!

I think that could be a really cool little feature! We could have discussions about all the great albums released each day!

The only bug on implementing is that the release date data isn't on this site. We'd have to figure out great albums each day or somehow go back and add all the significant album release dates.

We could also do the same for singles, or important EPs I suppose. Like, idk, the 50th anniversary of Sam Cooke's "Shake" with B-Side "A Change Is Gonna come" will be coming next year. If we can get the data for that and announce it, that would be rad!!

I least that is what I think! Smile

That's all I got.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/23/2013 16:48
  • Post subject:
You really like this kind of thing. I think it's a pretty good idea, too.
JMan

• Posted: 03/23/2013 17:17
  • Post subject:
Actually,Alice Cooper's radio show has a "This Day in Rock" segment!
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2013 18:21
  • Post subject:
Yeah, and honestly I've been doing it sorta on my own. But I'm not 1 millionth as respected as album master around here, more is my presentation very nice looking. I think it could be a fun idea. I'm willing to do a little research and even message the dates of significant albums. That would be cool with me. I can help with that. I could do something where I get the release dates of like all the top 1000 albums on BEA. It would take a couple hours, but hell, it's no bigs yo!

Well, let me know.

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of Dark Side Of The Moon's world wide release! BIIIIIIG TIME anniversary!

• Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/23/2013 18:22
  • Post subject:
Mercurydylan89 wrote:
Yeah, and honestly I've been doing it sorta on my own. But I'm not 1 millionth as respected as album master around here, more is my presentation very nice looking. I think it could be a fun idea. I'm willing to do a little research and even message the dates of significant albums. That would be cool with me. I can help with that. I could do something where I get the release dates of like all the top 1000 albums on BEA. It would take a couple hours, but hell, it's no bigs yo!

Well, let me know.

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of Dark Side Of The Moon's world wide release! BIIIIIIG TIME anniversary!

You just gave me plans for yesterday! I'm still trying to understand that album.
Wombi

• Posted: 03/23/2013 19:01
  • Post subject:
I think you should do it. Albummaster has more than enough on his plate already and this sort of thing doesn't really need to be "official BEA". Other users have had ideas before and implemented them themself (Harkan had an Australian album of the day for a while). I understand you feel new but you've been here a few months now and I think by now most of the regulars recognise you Smile

As for your presentation. On the Please Please Me thread You have a picture of the album cover and a link to its page on BEA. The only things I would recomend are this:
make your thread titles a bit more formal (like the album of the day ones) something like: This Date In Music (21/03): Surfer Rosa - the 25th Anniversary
find your own wording of course as that's just an example. Also don't put your opinion of the album in the first post, just put the album's information.

Doing a daily post would be quite a commitment (and I know how difficult it is making big BEA commitments and then trying to stick to them Confused ) so maybe find another user to help you? You probably wouldn't have to make it every day if you didn't want to, if you called it "On this Date" anyway.

So, I think it's a great idea and unless Albummaster wants to take it on (which I think is unlikely) I think you should go for it. Lord knows we need more useful contributions around here.
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 03/23/2013 19:11
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I think you should do it. Albummaster has more than enough on his plate already and this sort of thing doesn't really need to be "official BEA". Other users have had ideas before and implemented them themself (Harkan had an Australian album of the day for a while). I understand you feel new but you've been here a few months now and I think by now most of the regulars recognise you Smile

As for your presentation. On the Please Please Me thread You have a picture of the album cover and a link to its page on BEA. The only things I would recomend are this:
make your thread titles a bit more formal (like the album of the day ones) something like: This Date In Music (21/03): Surfer Rosa - the 25th Anniversary
find your own wording of course as that's just an example. Also don't put your opinion of the album in the first post, just put the album's information.

Doing a daily post would be quite a commitment (and I know how difficult it is making big BEA commitments and then trying to stick to them Confused ) so maybe find another user to help you? You probably wouldn't have to make it every day if you didn't want to, if you called it "On this Date" anyway.

So, I think it's a great idea and unless Albummaster wants to take it on (which I think is unlikely) I think you should go for it. Lord knows we need more useful contributions around here.

-------
Thank man! That was actually really helpful and I appreciate it alot. That was also great advice on it! Again, thanks man. I think I'll do that.

• Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 03/23/2013 19:36
  • Post subject:
You know, the more I think about it, the better it becomes.

To be honest, I understand what was bothering me previously, it was the title. If you made it the way jhereko suggested, i'd be a lot more excited for it.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 03/24/2013 07:21
  • Post subject:
With regards to adding full release dates (and not just the year), this is something already on the cards as it would also help BEA to highlight new releases and such-like (something that was mentioned not so long ago).

Once the full release dates are captured for the albums already on the site, we could then look at adding anniversary alerts and so forth. It would (obviously) take a while to back-fill the database of 40,000 albums, so it wouldn't be something that could happen very quickly (the dates need to be researched etc), so the idea of people posting on the forums in the meantime sounds a great idea.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan

• Posted: 03/24/2013 15:47
  • Post subject:
In the Admin Album screen, there could be a box that says "insert release date here."