This week I splurged on Amazon to get close to completing my U2 discography on vinyl (lemme be a dork who loves his childhood favorite band). Nearly all the 80s stuff I got from Ameoba in Hollywood over the years, but 90s stuff was near impossible to find until they recently re-released it.
This week I splurged on Amazon to get close to completing my U2 discography on vinyl (lemme be a dork who loves his childhood favorite band). Nearly all the 80s stuff I got from Ameoba in Hollywood over the years, but 90s stuff was near impossible to find until they recently re-released it.
Yeah - actually thanks to you for letting me know about the re-issues.
Pop at times is a bit lacking in the high range. I feel I have to use my equalizer to lower the lows and bring up the mids/highs, but once I do that, then the album is like I remember it. Pop is a bass heavy album and on some songs it sounds amazing and I usually appreciate a bass heavy/bass clear mix, but even I thought it was too much at times or more like the mids and highs needed a boost in contrast. Other than that I really like it. The packaging on this when I got it as a CD was nice and now in album format... it doesn't disappoint at all. Both albums have what the CD had on it on the second side, leaving both sides' track list on sides A and C.
Achtung Baby on the other hand sounds great.
One thing that does drive me bonkers is I don't like the 4 sides... it ruins the flow on some of the song orders if you know what I mean. I'm mostly a huge U2 fan because I feel they make great holistic albums, so that tracklisting is important, and I feel this cuts into it... and that rings true for all my 2 LP for single album releases... the additional space for higher fidelity is bullshit imo (Not the science of it, but the actual result... it's a negligible difference in my opinion and not worth the distraction of a good 2 sided single LP like I enjoy all my 80s U2 albums on.
As a fellow U2 fan, you might appreciate that I have the following on vinyl:
Boy
October
War
Under A Blood Red Sky
The Unforgettable Fire
Wide Awake In America
The Joshua Tree (although unfortunately it got damaged...)
Angel of Harlem Single
And now these two. Debating on forking out more to complete the 80s and 90s (just missing Zooropa and Rattle and Hum). I thought I'd be interested in getting ATYCLB... and "sadly" I'm just not. I somehow still really like the 2000s U2, but not buy their vinyl at $23 a pop like the 2000s U2... having said that... watch a live DVD during the 2000s and it's easily a top 5 best live performance. I just feel like their 2000s stuff is overproduced in the studio, yet breaths and lives great live. I suppose that's true of most good artists, but especially for U2 in the 2000s. 2010s... I'm afraid I've lost all hope for them or maybe just grew past it/haven't found appreciation yet...
Japanese first pressing with the Obi boiiiiiiiii. Also purchased the CD from the record store by my med school because I am a completionist and I like to have the CD copy.
Vinyl copy with an alternate (and better) cover, was able to purchase it for a whopping $40 from my sources instead of the >$100 prices on discogs... _________________ ...and for dessert!
So last week I went through a load of old CDs I never listen to any more and started flogging them on Discogs (those that were worth anything). Coupled with a few decent sales of old records I had a little bit to invest, so picked up:
Totally random spot in Beggars, Kingston - reading all the kerfuffle about people ordering it on Bandcamp last year and never receiving it I was a little surprised to see it sitting there, bold as brass in the 'electronic/wonky' rack
Been holding out for the original press with the 7" for ages, and was on the verge of getting the repress when this popped up on Discogs for a pretty decent price - less than half of what it normally goes for - so couldn't resist. Just need Songs From Northern Britain and I'll have originals of all the Creation Fannies LPs
And on top of that acquired a few free records from my mate whose Dad was have a clearout:
Surrealistic Pillow (German repress)
All Led Zeppelin LPs from II to Physical Graffiti (the latter being a first press)
Dylan's Nashville Skyline, Another Side Of and Bringing It All Back Home (all UK Mono 1sts)
And an original Brazilian press of this is coming tomorrow:
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum