1. @EyeKanFly, I can't find this album in uninterrupted form. I will listen to the youtube playlist but also do you mind selecring one of the others, with the new added 10th option of Africa/Brass by The John Coltrane Quartet? I will give my thoughts on both in my next post.
Went ahead and listened to the playlist. Was a good, no ads, good order playlist.
2. @Purplepash, I was hoping to recommend Nails to you. Have you already heard Unsilent Death or that Powerviolence Gridncore stuff just so thoroughly not your style that you don't want to present it as an option? Just curious.
This was cool. I haven’t seen the movie and I usually skip soundtracks of things I’ve never seen or played. But I guess I was intrigued because the cover doesn’t look like an anime and the description seemed interesting. And it was. I liked the mix of pop and classical and those cool choral parts and it’s all very pretty. But I can’t say I really REALLY liked it. It was good to play in the background and on occasion peeking up when the strings come in with a beautiful melody and a dramatic part. The vocals and the pop singing was alright, kinda silly and not my cuppa, but generally well done. I am glad I heard this. Gave it a 3/5 on RYM. Not likely to be returned to nor on any charts (maybe 1997 charts because year charts are really just me keeping track of everything heard up until I’ve heard 101 albums - only happened with 3 years -1969, 1977, 2021). If I ever watch the film, I may return to this bad boy so I get the context and emotional resonance more. RYM’s obsession with Japanese soundtracks both games and anime is weird. I don’t really get it. Maybe just a high high incidence of Japanese culture fans… forget the name for that, weeb? I don’t recall. Anyway, this non-review ends… now!
Just albums and mixtapes now. Pretty straight forward. The asterisk before some albums indicates I have never listened to this album. All of these, including ones with no asterisk, are quite vague and faint in my recollection and need revisits.
1. Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life/2008/RYM #116 all time album/mixtape (yeah I heard this in a very very workmanlike fashion, just kinda listening to it to get it listened to and out of the way maybe a year ago or 2. I remember thinking it was way way too somber and dark for my tastes especially at the time. But I just went and listened to that GYBE album and in listening to that I decided to make sure I wasn't giving short shrift to any albums before Ex Military and found this and found that I can't remember much about it except that I didn't like it. Need to revisit. May still not be a favorite but will pay closer attention this time.)
2. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #130 all time album/mixtape (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
3. Powerslave by Iron Maiden/1984/RYM #169 all time album/mixtape (I don't think I've ever finished listening to this. If I have, I don't remember. One of the all time great metal records yet Maiden has always been something I don't love or even usually like)
*4. You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip/2009/RYM #187 all time album/mixtape (Here is a well timed one what with sweet trip releasing their much anticipated follow up after 12 years last week. Have heard their 2003 album. For this game actually)
5. Geogaddi by Boards of Canada/2002/RYM #210 all time album/mixtape (Music Has The Right To Children at one point kinda took over my life and was on my overall chart briefly. Need to relisten to that as well but overall pretty familiar. This one, however, while i've heard it a couple times I never feel like I gave it ample time. Really wanna listen and listen good.)
*6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden/1988/RYM #232 all time album/mixtape (Another Maiden classic that I've never heard. I never listened to this because I for some reason felt I should listen to Powerslave first. Is that weird? Idk. Anyway, here it is.)
*7. Kyuss [Welcome to Sky Valley] by Kyuss/1994/#238 all time album/mixtape (A total classic I never have listened to i don't think. Stoner metal always seemed like a stupid and shallow genre name and maybe that is partially what made it less likely I'd run across this. IDK. But anyway, I think I kinda need to hear this for my musical education if nothing else.)
*8. Human by Death/1991/RYM #240 all time album/mixtape (This was a big deal in the development of extreme metal. At least I think so. I've now heard their first 2 and their last 2 albums and then there are 2 early early 1990s albums sandwiched in between that I have never heard. Technical/Progressive Death Metal from the dawn of the 1990s sounds kinda cool.)
*9. Foxtrot by Genesis/1972/RYM #257 all time album/mixtape (Classic Genesis album - Prog stuff. Nice. I may have heard it. Can’t remember. I remember falling hard for Selling England... but never finding that next genesis album that blew me away - and I did look. Need to revisit this one.
*10. Africa/Brazil by The John Coltrane Quartet/1961/RYM #273 all time album/mixtape (A classic Coltrane album from his peak that I’ve never pushed play on. Never started. Brand new. For me.) _________________ -Ryan
Beethoven: Symphonien No. 9 by Herbert von Karajan / Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Nice choice RoundTheBend. I listened to both the 1963 version (the whole Symphony cycle from 1962-63 is for another day...) as well as the video you posted. I'm also intimately familiar with the 1977 recording as the symphony cycle was among the first records I owned, and it's been in regular rotation since then. If you know classical, you know Beethoven's 9th. Even if you don't know classical, you're probably familiar with the "Ode to Joy". Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic's recordings (any of them) are among the best recordings of this ever, to my knowledge. I hesitated for a while to check out Karajan's other versions, because I figured how different could they be from each other? But there are some differences, I'll list my comparisons here:
- 1968 seems like it has the biggest chorus out of the 3. Movement 2 is a little longer than the 1977 version, maybe a little more emphatic. The video for the 1968 version is incredible. The Berlin Philharmonic Hall is an incredible building, and it's wonderful to see how grand it is in this video (also, the street it's on was renamed after Karajan!). Karajan himself is incredible as well, it's great to see him at work. The front section of first violins was also very fun to watch. It's amazing how much moving with your instrument can improve the music.
- 1963 has an incredible sound quality considering the year recorded, however it's still less technically impressive than the later versions. The cello section seems a little stronger in most of the movements, which I appreciate having a background playing cello. I'm not sure where this version was recorded, since the Philharmonic Hall was still being built. I suppose probably in some Deutsch Gramofone studio somewhere.
- 1977 is probably still my favorite, but probably only because its the most familiar to me. The chorus seems slightly smaller than the other 2 versions, but the soloists seem to be highlighted more. I think this version is the best for the first part of "Ode to Joy" (the soloists) but falters when it gets to the full chorus. Also I think this version has the best version of the finale (last 2 minutes or so) and best version of the 2nd movement.
2)
I agree Mercury, RYM definitely has a strong weeb presence. That said, while I've never been into anime, I am into video games. And there are video games out there with absolutely incredible soundtracks. It's wonderful to see Earthbound, Super Mario Galaxy, and Final Fantasy VI/VII scores lauded as much as some of the great film scores like Star Wars, Blade Runner, and anything by Ennio Morricone.
I've been meaning to watch Evangelion (both the anime and the movie which I believe is like an alternate ending to the show?), but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've heard that it fucks you up. The Bach portions of the soundtrack are great, and I think "Komm süsser Tod" is awesome. I forget if "Cruel Angel Thesis" or "Fly Me to the Moon" were on the film soundtrack or just the soundtrack for the show (the former being the intro theme for the anime which is very J-pop, and the latter a cover which there were multiple versions of on the show's soundtrack). I would suggest you check out those couple songs if they're not on the film soundtrack.
up next for you: Powerslave (since you want to revisit before Seventh Son 😁 )
3)
For now I'll still continue with the (mostly) live albums.
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane (live)
- Live by Magma (live)
- At San Quentin by Johnny Cash (live)
- First Utterance by Comus (oh wow, a normal studio album)
- Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
I love Singles Going Steady, so I was looking forward to finally hearing one of their LPs, and the debut does not disappoint. Catchy pop punk tunes suffused with youthful energy and angst, paired with brilliantly heavy, driving instrumentals. The a-side is a bit hit and miss, with Fast Cars being the standout and the other tracks ranging from passable to quite nice. Things really pick up on the b-side, however. It's all killer no filler, including two tracks from the aforementioned compilation, and it elevates Another Music In A Different Kitchen to a great listening experience. R.I.P. Pete Shelley. 4/5.
D: Pilgrim’s Paradise (EP) - Daniel Caesar
D2: A Girl Called Dusty - Dusty Springfield
E: That’s The Way Of The World - Earth, Wind & Fire
F: Faust IV - Faust
G: Oktember (EP) - Gas
H: Voids - Have A Nice Life
I: The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion - The Incredible String Band
J: One Step Beyond - Jackie McLean
J2: Femenine - Julius Eastman
K: Late Orchestration - Kanye West _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
I do indeed love Muse, and there are quite a few similarities.
It just hit me that Muse are no strangers to French either, who can forget I Belong To You/Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix, so that's one more shared element. 😄
EyeKanFly wrote:
I treat Muse the same way (whether they take themselves seriously I've never been able to tell)
I'd say they are dead serious in at least Showbiz and Origin Of Symmetry, hard to tell about the rest.
1.
Dj Muggs & Rome Streetz - Death & The Magician
Man, this made me realise how much I've been missing hip hop lately, maybe I've overdone it with jazz, I need to find some balance. Anyway, the production is exactly how you'd expect a DJ Muggs project to sound like, old-school, dim, gritty boom bap, you know it already. No huge surprises in that department, but that's by no means a criticism, he knows what he's doing and he's extremely good at it, he doesn't feel like pretending or compromising, let alone apologising at any point. Can't say I've been closely following Rome Streetz. His presence behind the mic is surprisingly captivating. Taking into account that for the most part I don't care about his lyrics - just don't take them too seriously and you should be fine - makes his achievement even more impressive, there's a very good chance he is a magician indeed. His rapping isn't groundbreaking either, quite the contrary, it screams "take me back to the 90's please" which explains why this collaboration showcases a high degree of team chemistry. I don't mean to sound blasphemous, but his performance in Stone Cold Soul reminded me of Pharoahe Monch - ok, don't shoot me, or at least give it a try before you decide to do so 😁 . Probably I'm overrating it like there's no tomorrow due to the condition I described at the start of this comment, but right now I'm feeling this is a top-5 or top-10 at the minimum 2021 album.
2.
Oops, baystateoftheheart beat me to it, but nominated exactly the album I intented to anyway, good job!
I nominate
Faust - Faust IV
Ridiculous timing, for some unknown reason I've been thinking about this during the last couple of days, will probably give it a listen soon and see if my perception of it being one tier below their debut still holds.
3.
2021 Chart by LedZep
1. Imperative Imperceptible Impulse - Ad Nauseam
2. A Common Turn - Anna B Savage
3. For Those I Love (2021) - For Those I Love
4. Mirrors - Pupil Slicer
5. Great Spans Of Muddy Time - William Doyle
6. The Thule Grimoires - The Ruins Of Beverast
7. Vulture Prince - Arooj Aftab
8. Psychic Secretions - StarGazer
9. Descent Towards Death - Los Males Del Mundo
10. Famine, Putrid And Fucking Endless - Atvm _________________ Bob Dylan Charles Mingus
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
.... 2. @Purplepash, I was hoping to recommend Nails to you. Have you already heard Unsilent Death or that Powerviolence Gridncore stuff just so thoroughly not your style that you don't want to present it as an option? Just curious.
Edit: this question still stands.....
The answer is sort of both. I have listened to Unsilent Death a couple of years ago. I wanted to like it more than I did, and I appreciated the noisy power, but it was just too intrnse, and too much for me to honestly enjoy in the true sense of the word. I do struggle with powerviolence and grindcore but in this album's defence this is one of the better ones from the genre that I've heard. The closing track was actually very good...or I was just starting to get accustomed to it by then after the long 20 minutes 🤣
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
Powerslave is a pretty amazing heavy metal album. It sounds like a perfect representation of classic heavy metal. The duel-attack solos, the active riffs, the bass player and his thumping power, the drummer and his rock solid style, and even the vocals (despite being something I don’t like) is classic and technically impressive.
The songs and the craft is top notch, cool change ups, excellent dynamics, cool stuff like I said.
Is this style my fave? Nope. I didn’t love this album. It’s cool though that I finally have heard (twice) this classic album and can finally check this off my metal education checklist without feeling like I totally brushed it off and didn’t pay attention.
Maybe it’s just because it was the first Maiden I ever owned and listened to a lot, but I much prefer Number of the Beast. As a youngster after listening to ride the lightning I used to look up in mags and on Amazon.com what the most essential and highest rated metal albums were. And so of course the album I heard about first was their classic from 1982. Remember never loving it but slowly falling into a deep liking of it. (I still consider “Hallowed be thy Name” to be an all time 10/10 classic of classics.).
Anyway, this was a great listen. Thanks
For nominating it and making me face my classic metal demons. I pushed play on this at least a dozen times whenever I’d see how highly ranked it was on RYM (#10 highest rated metal of any kind album) and I was always almost repulsed. For some reason. Not sure why. I think it’s just Dickinson. I really don’t like his whole thing and style. Despite it being classic and perhaps technically amazing, I always thought it to be shite. While I don’t think it’s shite anymore, still don’t like it. HalFord blows him out of the water. I’m tired of Dio amd DICKINSON being mentioned alongside Halford. It’s not close. Lol. (IMHO of course, apologies to those who worship at the double D’s altar).
I love that this album and NotB follow somewhat similar flows and have similar traits. What I mean is half or more of the songs here are all time Maiden classics, just like Number of the Beast. They both tackle similar sonic ranges, and both have certain EPIC historical song subjects, and both - most awesome to me - end with their best songs and the longest. After only a couple listens to the masterpiece that is “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” - I am not yet sure I can say it is quite on the same tier as Hallowed, not to me personally at least. But idk, it left a mark on my raging wild metal heart! And the fact that only a few listens in I am even comparing it to a song I have heard and obsessed over 100+ times the last 19 years is saying something. It’s a stunning awesome way to end a classic metal album that is for sure.
Okay that is all good bye.
——-
How and I listened to Seventh Son of a Seventh son as well. It was similarly cool. The vocals were even more irksome for me, but the musicianship and the more proggy structures were better than any other
Maiden I’ve yet heard. Really great! Not sure which I liked more. Both solid if not new faves.
-------------------------
2.
@Kokkinos, that list is similar to mine (me and LZ are like brothers from other mothers) - my personal fave of that group is… probably that new mind blowing Ad Nauseam album. But I know you’re not generally a fan of super extreme shit like that. Although that album is next level… hmm… decisions decisions… I’ll nominate my 2nd fave of the group and less extreme (barely) Pupil Slicer debut. They are a fucking FORCE OF MATHCORE NATURE!
Just albums and mixtapes now. Pretty straight forward. The asterisk before some albums indicates I have never listened to this album. All of these, including ones with no asterisk, are quite vague and faint in my recollection and need revisits.
1. Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life/2008/RYM #116 all time album/mixtape (yeah I heard this in a very very workmanlike fashion, just kinda listening to it to get it listened to and out of the way maybe a year ago or 2. I remember thinking it was way way too somber and dark for my tastes especially at the time. But I just went and listened to that GYBE album and in listening to that I decided to make sure I wasn't giving short shrift to any albums before Ex Military and found this and found that I can't remember much about it except that I didn't like it. Need to revisit. May still not be a favorite but will pay closer attention this time.)
2. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #130 all time album/mixtape (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*3. You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip/2009/RYM #187 all time album/mixtape (Here is a well timed one what with sweet trip releasing their much anticipated follow up after 12 years last week. Have heard their 2003 album. For this game actually)
4. Geogaddi by Boards of Canada/2002/RYM #210 all time album/mixtape (Music Has The Right To Children at one point kinda took over my life and was on my overall chart briefly. Need to relisten to that as well but overall pretty familiar. This one, however, while i've heard it a couple times I never feel like I gave it ample time. Really wanna listen and listen good.)
*5. Kyuss [Welcome to Sky Valley] by Kyuss/1994/#238 all time album/mixtape (A total classic I never have listened to i don't think. Stoner metal always seemed like a stupid and shallow genre name and maybe that is partially what made it less likely I'd run across this. IDK. But anyway, I think I kinda need to hear this for my musical education if nothing else.)
*6. Human by Death/1991/RYM #240 all time album/mixtape (This was a big deal in the development of extreme metal. At least I think so. I've now heard their first 2 and their last 2 albums and then there are 2 early early 1990s albums sandwiched in between that I have never heard. Technical/Progressive Death Metal from the dawn of the 1990s sounds kinda cool.)
*7. Foxtrot by Genesis/1972/RYM #257 all time album/mixtape (Classic Genesis album - Prog stuff. Nice. I may have heard it. Can’t remember. I remember falling hard for Selling England... but never finding that next genesis album that blew me away - and I did look. Need to revisit this one.
*8. Africa/Brazil by The John Coltrane Quartet/1961/RYM #273 all time album/mixtape (A classic Coltrane album from his peak that I’ve never pushed play on. Never started. Brand new. For me.)
*9. Moving Pictures by Rush/1981/RYM #281 all time album/mixtape (Can CONFIDENTLY say I have never once heard a Rush album all the way through. I know weird right? I hated them and all they stood for for most of my musical life. Now that I don’t dismiss out of hand Prog and the sort of very famous rock music for my mom’s generation, maybe I’ll like it? We shall see)
*10. Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus/1972/RYM #284 all time album/mixtape (Yet another classic Mingus I’ve never heard. It’s Mingus what more must I say?) _________________ -Ryan
.... 2. @Purplepash, I was hoping to recommend Nails to you. Have you already heard Unsilent Death or that Powerviolence Gridncore stuff just so thoroughly not your style that you don't want to present it as an option? Just curious.
Edit: this question still stands.....
The answer is sort of both. I have listened to Unsilent Death a couple of years ago. I wanted to like it more than I did, and I appreciated the noisy power, but it was just too intrnse, and too much for me to honestly enjoy in the true sense of the word. I do struggle with powerviolence and grindcore but in this album's defence this is one of the better ones from the genre that I've heard. The closing track was actually very good...or I was just starting to get accustomed to it by then after the long 20 minutes :lol:
That album is like 12 minutes actually lolol. EDIT: I don’t know what I was smoking, but yeah that album is 23 minutes. Their other albums are 18 and 22 minutes. You were right. Maybe I was thinking of that new (AMAZING) World Peace album which is basically a bass version of nails that is 10 minutes that dropped earlier this year. (If you haven’t I recommend checking that album out - one of
My faves of 2021.)
Okay, back to my original post now that I have corrected my erroneous correction if you! - But yeah I totally understand all that. I adore it. I tend to like that stuff. Recently discovered that some of my favorite music and some of the genre descriptions that will get me interested and perked are grindcore deathgrind and Powerviolence and emoviolence. I have sort of accepted that strange side of myself where I just enjoy the loudest and wildest shit possible. _________________ -Ryan
I think Mingus is officially cooler than Davis now... idk... I suppose tough call, but his discography is fantastic. This wasn't my favorite of his, but it was good.
2. I almost returned a mingus, but I guess I'm always in favor of "educational purposes"
Kyuss [Welcome to Sky Valley] by Kyus
3. top 100
3. Love And Devotion by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
5. Baabel by Leïla Martial
7. Nina Simone And Her Friends by Nina Simone
8. The Exotica Album by Øyvind Torvund
9. Junjo by Esperanza Spalding
10. Circles by Anne Paceo
13. Shoshan by שי בן צור [Shye Ben Tzur]
14. Orange by Caroline Shaw / Attacca Quartet
15. Memories Of A Color by Stina Nordenstam
16. Aventurine by Linda May Han Oh
Live At The Village Vanguard by John Coltrane
This is around the time that Coltrane was starting to get spiritual, and before he started with free jazz. This is a great set. It's short, sweet, and to the point. Wonderful three tracks. The Village Vanguard doesn't have the best acoustics, so this is really an impressive recording especially considering the time period. Either that or I listened to an elaborate remaster that really masked its changes. I think "Spiritual" is the standout track here, but all three are phenomenal. Classic Coltrane, not sure what else to say. This had been on my to-do list for a while, I could easily see it going into regular rotation.
2)
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Love And Devotion by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
@RoundTheBend, check this one out. I think BEA may have an error with the dates on this "compilation", since the 2 albums that make up this comp were both released in 1992. Either that or I'm just confusing international release dates. If you haven't listened to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan before, this is a great place to start. And if you've already listened to Mustt Mustt, I believe this is to the same caliber. The first half (Love Songs) is my favorite, but Devotional Songs is not to be missed either.
3)
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Live by Magma (live)
- At San Quentin by Johnny Cash (live)
- First Utterance by Comus
- Leaves Turn Inside You by Unwound
- You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip
PS) @RoundTheBend, totally agree about Mingus. Coltrane was my favorite jazz artist for so long (with Davis and Shorter close behind), but Mingus has far surpassed them in my view. Almost everything by Mingus I've heard has blown me away, even his "lesser" albums like Dynasty. Mingus Moves is an album I haven't listened to in a while, I should return to it. _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
This was a really cool album. The deeply heavy grooves and the bluesy soulful lead guitar and the impassioned vocals with surprisingly well written hooks and melodies, it was all solid. I'm glad I heard it.
The heavy psych elements and the corresponding impassioned soloing ws some of my favorite bits here. The fact that Homme was like 20-21 when he made this classic is mind-blowing. This sounds like a whole band of hardened hard rock metal veterans. The grooves especially side 1 blew me away but I think the whole 52 minutes was worthwhile and excellent and I plan to return to this soon.
I like that this was almost perfectly split between heavy thick slabs of metal and thick slabs of hard rock. You can hear quite clearly the slight differences between these styles within this album. I may slightly prefer the more in the red, wild ly heavy metal parts slightly more but its the way the heavier parts play off the almost catchy groovy rock bits that makes this album work so well.
Just albums and mixtapes now. Pretty straight forward. The asterisk before some albums indicates I have never listened to this album. All of these, including ones with no asterisk, are quite vague and faint in my recollection and need revisits.
1. Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life/2008/RYM #116 all time album/mixtape (yeah I heard this in a very very workmanlike fashion, just kinda listening to it to get it listened to and out of the way maybe a year ago or 2. I remember thinking it was way way too somber and dark for my tastes especially at the time. But I just went and listened to that GYBE album and in listening to that I decided to make sure I wasn't giving short shrift to any albums before Ex Military and found this and found that I can't remember much about it except that I didn't like it. Need to revisit. May still not be a favorite but will pay closer attention this time.)
2. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #130 all time album/mixtape (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*3. You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip/2009/RYM #187 all time album/mixtape (Here is a well timed one what with sweet trip releasing their much anticipated follow up after 12 years last week. Have heard their 2003 album. For this game actually)
4. Geogaddi by Boards of Canada/2002/RYM #210 all time album/mixtape (Music Has The Right To Children at one point kinda took over my life and was on my overall chart briefly. Need to relisten to that as well but overall pretty familiar. This one, however, while i've heard it a couple times I never feel like I gave it ample time. Really wanna listen and listen good.)
*5. Human by Death/1991/RYM #240 all time album/mixtape (This was a big deal in the development of extreme metal. At least I think so. I've now heard their first 2 and their last 2 albums and then there are 2 early early 1990s albums sandwiched in between that I have never heard. Technical/Progressive Death Metal from the dawn of the 1990s sounds kinda cool.)
*6. Foxtrot by Genesis/1972/RYM #257 all time album/mixtape (Classic Genesis album - Prog stuff. Nice. I may have heard it. Can’t remember. I remember falling hard for Selling England... but never finding that next genesis album that blew me away - and I did look. Need to revisit this one.
*7. Africa/Brazil by The John Coltrane Quartet/1961/RYM #273 all time album/mixtape (A classic Coltrane album from his peak that I’ve never pushed play on. Never started. Brand new. For me.)
*8. Moving Pictures by Rush/1981/RYM #281 all time album/mixtape (Can CONFIDENTLY say I have never once heard a Rush album all the way through. I know weird right? I hated them and all they stood for for most of my musical life. Now that I don’t dismiss out of hand Prog and the sort of very famous rock music for my mom’s generation, maybe I’ll like it? We shall see)
*9. Let My Children Hear Music by Charles Mingus/1972/RYM #284 all time album/mixtape (Yet another classic Mingus I’ve never heard. It’s Mingus what more must I say?)
*10. Mirage by Camel/1974/RYM #284 all time album/mixtape (A totally classic symphonic prog album and one that I can't recall listening to. Very intrigued by this one. _________________ -Ryan
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum