My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Two albums of 1984 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Rattlesnakes by Lloyd Cole And The Commotions
1983 had The The with Soul Mining with a track called Perfect Day; 1984 had Lloyd Cole with Rattlesnakes and a track called Perfect Skin and both albums are perfect albums of perfect singer Song writing wrapped in an impeccable sonic package. There is not only that track but also Rattlesnakes and Forest Fire are pure classics. So no wonder the album moves from the 5th to the 2nd rank and is ranked very high on my best ever albums.

An album on my wishlist:

Un Autre Monde by Tรฉlรฉphone
Tรฉlรฉphone was the best French punk band which sounded both sharp and a bit naive. This is their fourth and last album and not their best but the title track is still a killer. The album ends up at the 29th rank of 1984.
  • Quote
Two albums of 1985 I listened to:

An album I already own:

First And Last And Always by The Sisters Of Mercy
This is the first Sisters album I bought and since then I'm a fan not in the least because I also saw them live just after that. Their combination of the deep baritone singing of Eldritch, the great base playing and the goth atmosphere while still keeping a pop sensibility is just my thing and Marian with its german interlude is just a perfect example of that. But they keep this up the whole album so it rises deservedly from the 4th to the 2nd rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

The Firstborn Is Dead by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
still a missing link in my Nick Cave collection and always called his blues album but can best be called his haunted album especially on the first track. Of course I already knew Tupelo but it's still the best of the album but tracks like Wanted Man are not less convincing. It comes in at the 18th rank of the year.
  • Quote
And these are two albums of 1986 I listened to:

First an album I already own:

Candy Apple Grey by Hรผsker Dรผ
Hรผsker Dรผ signed to a big label and for many people (I must admit including me) this was the beginning of the end. By no means this is a bad album and the opener Crystal goes on in the same vein as their former albums but after them it all becomes a bit more melodic with even some slows which would later lead to the Bob Mould and Grant solo albums with resp. Hardly Getting Over It and No Promise Have I Made. But there's also still some punkrock to be enjoyed as tracks like Dead Set On Destruction prove. So maybe not as stellar as the previous albums but still very solid and moving from the 5th to the 3rd rank of the year.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Blood & Chocolate by Elvis Costello And The Attractions
I know most of the tracks of this albums by compilations so I can't say I'm unfamiliar with it. And it features a few of my all-time favorites of him like Tokyo Storm Warning but especially I Want You, that bittersweet slow that I just never tire of. This is one of his best albums and enters my top chart at the 4th rank.
  • Quote
I wish everyone the best for 2022 and why not go on with what I already did. Here are two albums of 1987 I listened to:

An album I already own:

Substance by New Order
This is one of the only exceptions of a compilation I allow in my regular charts because it just feels like a proper album (while of course I know this is an album of remixes and there are many others like this one). The second side is maybe not as good as the first side but that first side is just one dance floor killer after the other. They did the best thing they could after the suicide of Ian Curtis: they moved on with something completely different and this album is just the perfect proof that they did that well. Btw did you notice that there is another track with perfect in the title ๐Ÿ˜‰ The album remains at the 2nd rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Radio K.A.O.S. by Roger Waters
Another concept album by Roger Waters and he's not really bad at it. But the songwriting is not as solid as on some of his other solo albums. This is by no means a bad album but just not good enough to make it to my top chart of 1987.
  • Quote
Two albums of 1988 I listened to:


Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth
Without doubt the best album of the year and one of the best albums ever made. This is a nearly perfect album with the first and the last long track as the best examples. I know this is not for everybody but it's certainly for me.


I Am Kurious Oranj by The Fall
Again my love-hate relation with this band. On some levels I like them and on others I find them a bit too spoken word (and then with that fairly dull voice of Mark E. Smith). But I get into them more and more even on this one which is certainly not regarded as their best but I quite liked. Enters at the 29th rank of the year.
  • Quote
These are the albums I chose from 1989:

An album I already own:


Workbook by Bob Mould
One of his break-up albums not from a love relation but from Hรผsker Dรผ and especially Grant Hart. But if somebody is able to channel all those griefs into such a moving album, then he is a great artist. The best tracks are See A Little Light (also the name of a few of his side-projects and one of the only positive tracks here) and Heartbreak A Stranger. This great album stays firmly at the 3rd rank of the year.

An Album on my wishlist:

11 by The Smithereens
It's hard to dislike this band and certainly hard to dislike this album, also proven by the fact that 4 of its tracks are on the Blown by Smithereens compilation I already know. And these are also the finest tracks. They will never be my favorite band but this is a very enjoyable album which lands at the 26th rank of the year.
  • Quote
Two albums of 1990:

One I already own:

Pod by The Breeders
Objectively you could say this is not a masterpiece. The songs are just too, well unfinished to be called a masterpiece; and Last Splash on this level is certainly much better. But for me this is a real masterpiece in all senses of the the word. Here Kim Deal really gave Frank Black/Black Francis a run for his money even only you listen to the only cover: Happiness Is A Warm Gun. But the real killers for me are Iris, Hellbound and Glorious. An album I kept on playing at the time it was released and I still have a very warm feeling about it. And it even rises from the 9th to the 5th rank of the year.

One on my wishlist:

Lawn Boy by Phish
I remember I said a few months ago: I'm a Phishhead; I'm not. Sometimes they're just a bit too goofy and/or directionless. Like on some of the tracks on this album. I do like their more jammy songs though: Reba and Run Like An Antelope, which are also big live staples. And also Squirming Coil and Bouncin Around The Room are cool. But it ends there. So all in all an ok not fantastic album which ends up at the 51st rank of the year.
  • Quote
Here are two choices for albums of 1991:

An album I already own:

Nevermind by Nirvana
Of course I hear tracks from this album all the time but it was a while ago that I listened to the full album. And of course it remains one of the most important albums of all time, if only for the fact that it put hard music back on the menu after a bit of a dull period (although things were still cooking in the underground). The first thing which strikes me is that many of the tracks have been done better on other albums: their harder songs more fierce on the two main live albums and their melodic songs much better on that fantastic MTV unplugged album. But well it still remains firmly at the 2nd rank (I still think an unknown album of The Aints is better).

An album on my wishlist:

Horrorscope by Overkill
Another trash album by Overkill, not their best and on many tracks they sound a bit cartoonish and uninspired but still good enough for the 52nd rank on my 1991 chart.
  • Quote
Two albums of 1992:

An album I already own:

Automatic For The People by R.E.M.
This is not the most upbeat album of R.E.M. but it does contain one of their most upbeat and best tracks: Man On The Moon (in that sense it is as upbeat as that other Man On The Moon from Sugar). But the sadder songs like Nightswimming, Find The River and Everybody Hurts are also not less than just gorgeous. I don't think it's the best album as many people on BEA think but it certainly deserves its 9th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

My Mind's Eye by The Comsat Angels
A band which is a bit under my radar and after listening to this album I should listen to more of their albums. Especially the opening track Driving is great. It enters at the 19th rank, maybe not so high but then again this was a great year in music.
  • Quote
And after 1992 immediately comes 1993:

with an album I already own:

Siamese Dream by The Smashing Pumpkins
I still think that this is one of the best albums ever. Billy Corgan might be a bit pompous and I think he is that on most of his albums but here he really shines as does the rest of the band. And it contains one of the best tracks ever: Silverfuck: this song is just epic and the way it meanders through its different parts is just fantastic. And then I haven't even mentioned that other nearly perfect track Disarm; and nearly all the other songs of the album. So stays firmly at the first rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

New Wave by The Auteurs
I must admit that this first albumof the Auteurs makes me fall asleep a bit, just because the songs are not as diverse as on some of their later albums. But it's by no means a bad one so it enters at the 41st rank.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 116117118 ... 193194195  Next
Page 117 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
Only 10 posts/albums per page? HigherThanTheSun Suggestions

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.