I don't know if there has been a similar thread before, but am I the only one who thinks long (and by long I mean over an hour) albums tend to be very inconsistent? I think that most long records I've heard include too much filler and would have been way better had it been shorter. Some examples that come to mind:
Don't give me wrong, I like all these albums, but I feel they would all benefit from being shorter. But I wanted to know what you guys think. Do these albums justify their lenght? Would they be better if they were shorter? Would they be worse? What other albums do you think are overly long?
I agree. I like all these albums, and some I love, but to me they all would have been better with less tracks. But on the other hand, I know people who like everything on them. And I can think of a couple of long or double albums that I myself think are good just the way they are. And actually, when albums switched from Vinyl to CD, they became roughly about 15 minutes longer. And I felt that the majority of most new albums would have been much better at the old 40 or 45 minute length. It seemed like they were padded out with too many filler tracks.
personally, even if i like every track on an album, i'm not a fan of "long" albums. generally, if an album goes past 14 tracks and/or 50ish minutes, it's just too much for me to digest. examples:
RADIOHEAD :: Hail to the Thief (14 tracks / 56:35 minutes)
i love every track on this album, but even thm agrees it's too long. i almost don't even care which tracks had been cut (this is totally not true). i just wish it was 10-12 songs and ~45 minutes.
MODEST MOUSE :: The Lonesome Crowded West (15 tracks / 73:58 minutes)
once again, i can't name a track on this album i don't love, but 15 tracks is too much. ~74 minutes is waaay too much. for me. granted, i have a short attention span...but still.
BOARDS OF CANADA :: Music Has A Right To Children (17 tracks / 62:58)
so much to digest. too much. if you've got 63 minutes of incredible, please please please please please release two short albums or an LP-EP combo. i just can't remember what i listened to 60 minutes ago. i can't. and so i have to listen twelve times before i get a feel for the album, and it's daunting. and i'm overreacting. and i love this album so i should just shut up. but man, on a personal level, i just can't see myself doing it this way.
keep in mind, i went to art school, and in art school, they'll drill into your head that "less is more" every chance they can get, so you can argue that i have been trained to think this way. _________________ follow me on the bandcamp.
Last edited by craola on 06/19/2018 17:27; edited 1 time in total
Again, each one of these albums you named are my favorite albums by these artists, with the exception of Elo, even though each one I feel would be better if they were originally issued as three-sided albums instead of four. Ha ha. And as for The Clash, my favorite Clash songs are on that album, even though there's only about enough good ones to fill up one album and not 3 albums, as it originally was on vinyl. And with ELO, I could probably make a great single album out of that.
The longer an album the greater the chance it'll be truly great for me. What is greater? Shakespeare's Hamlet or a single one of his sonnets? Length is directly correlated with greatness. My favorite all time single work is 14-15 hours long btw, so you can see this in my charts. On the other hand, being like Stephen King and not editing out enough can also be a problem, but only if you don't have the material like my favorite music artists with long works did...
FischmanRockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMasterProfile Land of Enchantment
It only makes sense... the more you put out there, the more likely it is that some part of it will fall short.
I think pretty much every double album will have a large number of fans/critics who think it may have been better if some tracks had been omitted.
Here's a few as yet unmentioned on this thread; albums I love, but I'm usually gonna' skip a few tracks:
About the only doubles I really like throughout are live albums, but that's something altogether different as they program usually includes known winners from across an artist's catalog.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum