Hip-Hop Tourney anyone?

Goto page 12345  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Tourney to Start?
Songs Tourney:
20%
 20%  [1]
Albums Tourney:
80%
 80%  [4]
Total Votes : 5

  • Quote
Would anyone like to do a hip-hop tourney... maybe of each decade until it dies out or something?

Any ideas on how this should be ran?


Last edited by RoundTheBend on 12/08/2020 01:49; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
Iโ€™m definitely for. Although the excitement for tournaments isnโ€™t exactly through the roof right now. Did we even do that 2019 song tourney in the end?
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
Would anyone like to do a hip-hop tourney... maybe of each decade until it dies out or something?

Any ideas on how this should be ran?


Sure! As long as it's albums.
  • Quote
I'm in, obviously. Maybe a year tournament, where users pick album and single representatives?

EDIT: Say, like, two albums + two singles from a chosen year for each matchup, changing each time, with a final using the whole selection.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Would anyone like to do a hip-hop tourney... maybe of each decade until it dies out or something?

Any ideas on how this should be ran?


Sure! As long as it's albums.


Agreed.

Skinny wrote:
Maybe a year tournament


Agreed.

My suggestion is to pick any year from 1988-2019 using a random number generator and have each person nominate an album. Or if you want more than a year, try half a decade.
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
did someone say hip-hop?

I'm in.


Also would still be interested in the 2019 song tournament. I've already had my songs ready since the last tourny ๐Ÿคฃ
_________________
Griselda, by Fashion Rebels
2020's Hip-Hop
2020's Country


Last edited by travelful on 12/07/2020 22:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Repo wrote:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Would anyone like to do a hip-hop tourney... maybe of each decade until it dies out or something?

Any ideas on how this should be ran?


Sure! As long as it's albums.


Agreed.

Agreed.

My suggestion is to pick any year from 1988-2019 using a random number generator and have each person nominate an album. Or if you want more than a year, try half a decade.


I was thinking more along the lines of a 'best year' tournament, whereby each user picks a year and then puts together 'teams' of releases from their chosen year to go against somebody else's year team. For example, a person representing 1997 might pick Wu-Tang Forever and Life After Death (plus two singles) to go against, say, Atrocity Exhibition and The Sun's Tirade (plus two singles) from 2016, but they would not be allowed to re-use those choices until the final stages of the tournament. If we did a group stage, with four groups of four teams and then a final group of the top four teams, that would mean each user picking 6 albums and 6 singles from their chosen year overall. (2 points for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.) After a group round is finished, everybody will have played three matches, and the group winner goes through to the final four. Something like that, anyway.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
can I call '96 right here, round 1

June 27th
Dr. Octagonecologyst

"One Day"
"Days of Our Livez"
  • Quote
I would participate of course.

I like Skinny's idea, but I wonder how many people would be able to participate in that style of tournament. A lot of listening and picks. If we kept it small (and everyone had a good pool to pick from) then it could work, but I wager that some don't even have 6 hip hop albums listened to in some years.
  • Quote
I'd be interested in this. I like the idea of having year teams but worry that it might be a lot of listening for people who are unfamiliar with the nominations. Even two hip hop albums can be a lot when you don't have much focused time to listen. That said, I do like the idea and would participate as much as I had time for!

travelful wrote:
Also would still in interesting in the 2019 song tournament. I've already had my songs ready since the last tourny :lol:


I thought about starting this after the half decade tourney but I honestly got a bit burned out by that one and have been a bit too busy to think about it recently. If enough people are interested it might be a nice one to run while we're nominating selections for the hip hop tourney. That way people could listen to the hip hop albums, which is more time consuming, and also participate in the 2019 tourney, which would be easier as it's just songs. I also wouldn't mind letting someone else run with the 2019 tourney though :D. Either way we should shake out the hip hop tourney rules and then decide whether there's time to squeeze in the 2019 one.
_________________
And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page 12345  Next
Page 1 of 5


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Hip Hop Parallels Luigii Music
Hip Hop Appreciation Thread Chemical Smile Music
Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament nomin... Skinny Tournaments
750+ Hip-Hop Tournament undefined Tournaments
Best Jazz-Influenced Rock/Hip-Hop for... batlord210 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.