23%  [4]
Ghosts of the Great Highway
76%
 76%  [13]
Total Votes : 17

Saoirse

• Posted: 05/22/2013 15:52
  • Post subject: CLOSED-BNMAT-Ghosts of the Great Highway def New History War
NEW HISTORY WARFARE VOL 2: JUDGES by Colin Stetson (captain: Madadude)

New History Warfare Vol 2 Judges by Colin Stetson

VS

GHOSTS OF THE GREAT HIGHWAY by Sun Kil Moon (captain: Saoirse)

Ghosts Of The Great Highway by Sun Kil Moon

12-24 hour period before polls open

Last edited by Saoirse on 05/27/2013 01:19; edited 2 times in total
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2013 15:59
  • Post subject:
This is actually super tough for me.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/22/2013 16:12
  • Post subject:
Horrible matchup. Both great records. Sun Kil Moon gets the edge for two reasons : "Carry Me Ohio" is absolutely delightful (if classical for a Kozelek song), and as much I really love Colin Stetson's record, it was seeing him live that really changed everything for me. I probably wouldn't love the album as much without that experience, which, I infer, must mean I like Ghosts... just a little bit better.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/22/2013 16:20
  • Post subject:
Easy peasy!
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2013 17:58
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Horrible matchup. Both great records. Sun Kil Moon gets the edge for two reasons : "Carry Me Ohio" is absolutely delightful (if classical for a Kozelek song), and as much I really love Colin Stetson's record, it was seeing him live that really changed everything for me. I probably wouldn't love the album as much without that experience, which, I infer, must mean I like Ghosts... just a little bit better.

This is exactly how I feel, although I've never seen Colin solo. Kozelek is just a special breed of songwriter.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 05/22/2013 18:41
  • Post subject:
That Judges album is pretty cool album to me right now. It might be a little artificial though... only a little - I'm talking mostly about the vocal samples. I'd say it feels imaginative in melody, rhythm, and such, and it can take one to different places in a way.

Sun Kil Moon reminds me of Neil Young a bit... it does have some north american feel, like on a river-side kind of way. That's about it for me. It's just sort of... alright. Red House Painters may have been better.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 05/22/2013 20:30
  • Post subject:
Frankly, "Carry me Ohio"...

Link

It's like Kozelek remade "Uncle Joe", only better... that voice...
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 05/24/2013 01:24
  • Post subject:
Mark Kozelek is known as an explicitly autobiographical songwriter and his personal addiction to boxing shows on this album, with song titles like Glen Tipton, Salvador Sanchez, Duk Koo Kim, and Pancho Villa (Francisco Guilledo, not the caudillo), among numerous boxing motifs within these and other songs. But rather than glorifying boxing like Rocky, Ghosts of the Great Highway presents it in a light similar to Raging Bull but with less violence. His main topics are loneliness and depression. I haven't fully interpreted the album yet, but have some feeling that his topics and boxing motif are linked, as if he hopes to find a love and be with them in the ring oblivious to the outside, or as if he finds life a fight every day in his depression, or something else similar. Throughout the album he also mentions "the great highway" a couple of times; this is just me but I like to think of it as a personal odyssey to his Penelope. He's got a love he's fighting for; he's got bumps along the road and other women in the way, but he's gunning for his one true love. Regardless of heady interpretations, I believe it's a truly emotive album that would draw the likes of Sparklehorse, Microphones, and other emotionally-aware acts' fans. My favorite songs are "Carry Me Ohio" and "Duk Koo Kim."
Madadude

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2013 23:59
  • Post subject:
Yep, Just like I suspected when I saw the match-up, Stetson is going to lose here. Nevertheless I just hope that this might get more to people to listen to and hopefully appreciate Stetson and his amazing technical playing ability. I really hope I get to see him live someday.

The album in question is definitely his best (though his newest album is great too and my 3rd favorite of the year so far) and is the best album of the decade and my second favorite of the Millennium behind the best album of all time Kid A. It is so incredibly haunting that it just allows me to sink into it, and I often listen to it when I want to relax, despite definitely not being a by the book relaxing album, it just manages to hook me and take me out of the world for a little while.

I'll link to this which is a video of him breaking down how he plays, which really helps garner appreciation for his skill :

Link

As well as him performing it live:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse

• Posted: 05/27/2013 01:20
  • Post subject:
GHOSTS CRUISES TO VICTORY