RR’s Random Music Musings

View previous topic :: View next topic
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/28/2021 08:12
  • Post subject: RR’s Random Music Musings
Primarily I’ll record my daily listening choices. Most afternoons I settle in and listen to my records while enjoying a bourbon or two, so the majority listed will be physical albums I have in my collection.

It will become clear pretty early I enjoy a variety of music genres however my tastes lean more heavily to 80’s , 90’s and early 00’s along with some Aussie bands sprinkled throughout.

Along the way I might throw in the odd spin on anniversary dates or comments on many of the great charts on here. Will see how this develops as I go.

I’ll start with one of my local bands Silverchair - Frogstomp. The boys from Newcastle were only 15 years old when this was released and still attending school. Reached number 1 on the Australia charts. All tracks are solid Alt Rock and the lyrics bely the ages in the band.

Stand out tracks for me are:
Freak
Abuse Me
Cemetery
Petrol and Chlorine.

Frogstomp by Silverchair.
kokkinos

• Posted: 03/28/2021 09:13
  • Post subject:
Hi mate, welcome. Based on your chart, our musical tastes are worlds apart, so it should be a compelling and hopefully enlightening ride, I am looking forward to it.
  • Visit poster's website
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/28/2021 10:55
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Hi mate, welcome. Based on your chart, our musical tastes are worlds apart, so it should be a compelling and hopefully enlightening ride, I am looking forward to it.

Thanks for the comments. That’s what I am enjoying about this site already, seeing different music tastes and understanding what motivates people’s different views.

After listening to six albums this afternoon, I’m finishing with a cool compilation from the Master himself Ray Charles - The Ultimate Collection.

This legend can do it all and has done it all musically. A nice mix a blues, jazz and soul through these tracks.

The movie Ray gave me a whole different perspective of Ray and the challenges he faced both personally and musically in the industry, and endured through it all. It is probably the life experiences of Ray that adds so much depth to his story telling and the emotion you can see and hear he goes through when performing.

Standout tracks on here are too many to list on a best of compilation, however Unchain My Heart, Georgia on my Mind and the ilk really showcase the expression he can bring through his vocals and performance.

The Ultimate Collection by Ray Charles
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/29/2021 06:12
  • Post subject: Full Teskey
I’ve been going full Teskey today, listening to three albums with vocals by Josh Teskey. The Teskey Brothers Half Mile Harvest gets the listing here today.

This music is pure soul/blues rock at its finest. If I need some modern soul to cleans the spirit, this hits the spot. The lyrics are captivating and causes much reflection on the ups and downs of life.

Josh’s vocals are a pure match for the magic weaved by the band. This album won some accolades but deserves more appreciation. Anyone who can appreciate some soul/blues rock will enjoy giving this album a look and listen.

Half Mile Harvest by The Teskey Brothers
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 03/29/2021 11:08
  • Post subject: Re: RR’s Random Music Musings
Roadrunner14 wrote:
Primarily I’ll record my daily listening choices. Most afternoons I settle in and listen to my records while enjoying a bourbon or two, so the majority listed will be physical albums I have in my collection.

It will become clear pretty early I enjoy a variety of music genres however my tastes lean more heavily to 80’s , 90’s and early 00’s along with some Aussie bands sprinkled throughout.

Along the way I might throw in the odd spin on anniversary dates or comments on many of the great charts on here. Will see how this develops as I go.

I’ll start with one of my local bands Silverchair - Frogstomp. The boys from Newcastle were only 15 years old when this was released and still attending school. Reached number 1 on the Australia charts. All tracks are solid Alt Rock and the lyrics bely the ages in the band.

Stand out tracks for me are:
Freak
Abuse Me
Cemetery
Petrol and Chlorine.

Frogstomp by Silverchair.

Welcome to the site, and nice choice to start off with. One of my favourite albums and to see them play this live and have the overflowing, bulging crowd (they shouldn't have been on a side stage) dancing and moshing like crazy while the band were still underage teenagers was an amazing live moment I will never forget. Just want to point out those standout tracks, while great (especially Freak - a classic that has stood the test of time really well) are from Freak Show not Frogstomp. My highlights from Frogstomp are the obvious ones, Israel's Son, Pure Massacre, and Tomorrow. I love the positivity of ending with Findaway as closer too, especially after the earlier track of Suicidal Dream.
  • Visit poster's website
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/29/2021 20:11
  • Post subject: Re: RR’s Random Music Musings
Purplepash wrote:

Welcome to the site, and nice choice to start off with. One of my favourite albums and to see them play this live and have the overflowing, bulging crowd (they shouldn't have been on a side stage) dancing and moshing like crazy while the band were still underage teenagers was an amazing live moment I will never forget. Just want to point out those standout tracks, while great (especially Freak - a classic that has stood the test of time really well) are from Freak Show not Frogstomp. My highlights from Frogstomp are the obvious ones, Israel's Son, Pure Massacre, and Tomorrow. I love the positivity of ending with Findaway as closer too, especially after the earlier track of Suicidal Dream.

Thanks for the memories, certainly was crazy times watching school boys walking around Newie being hounded by fans and the media. Their styles subtly changed as they grew up through the albums that were produced which is very noticeable and enjoyable for me to hear and explore.

It isn’t a fan favorite, but for me Young Modern is a really enjoyable album because it is a lot lighter and more pop-ish. While I prefer songs with darker lyrics and heavy base it really is an enjoyable listening experience for me swapping from older to newer albums one after the other hearing that contrast in styles.

I think you nailed it with the tracks from Frog, they are the popular ones, Pure Massacre I can really feel the emotion in the voice/lyrics that hits home every time, never gets old.

It is so me that I would talk different tracks haha, I am thinking a combination of being on a Silverchair binge, bourbon binge, and probably writing the post while listening to Freak had me mentioning those songs. If you met me, you would see that is me, my mind swaps and changes a million times a minute unless my medicinal bourbon is used to slow me down haha.

Good to see there are others that still appreciate the album. Silverchair did make some fine ones, unfortunately most bands, even when good or great only have short runs for various reasons. Always wish their catalogue was double what they had produced, but that is wishful thinking being a fan.
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/30/2021 10:03
  • Post subject:
Eric Clapton is 76 today so thought I would spin a couple of my LP’s to celebrate one of my favorite artists. His blues style is amazing although he seems to be able to master most genres he adopts.

Can’t go wrong with either of these albums, IMO both masterpieces of their time. If I was to select a favorite song by Clapton it would have to be Layla, the riff gets me every time, then the selection becomes too hard for second.I could pick seven or eight more tracks easily from his catalogue that I would have trouble splitting for second.

Slowhand by Eric Clapton

Unplugged by Eric Clapton
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/31/2021 01:11
  • Post subject:
Brandon Lee died on the set of The Crow today in 1993, being reminded of this prompted me to give this OST a spin this morning.

Nice mix of 90’s music on this from The Cure to Stone Temple Pilots and beyond. I never did like the movie greatly, however the soundtrack gets played quite regularly. The LP release has a ‘crow’ etch on side D which is a nice touch to fill in the empty side.

The Crow: Original Motion Picture Sound...us Artists
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 03/31/2021 07:47
  • Post subject:
Cold Chisel - Breakfast at Sweethearts - 1979. Classic Aussie pub band Royalty for the 70’s and 80’s. Due to a rumored ‘disagreement’ with just about everyone when touring the US they never really got the exposure overseas promptly coming home. Not that it really hurt them, I think Jimmy Barnes and the boys made a pretty penny from touring and albums over the years. Played hard and partied hard, Jimmy is still putting out solo albums that are quite good.

Favorites on this album for me are:
Goodbye (Astrid Goodbye)
Merry-Go-Round
Shipping Steel
Breakfast at Sweethearts.

Breakfast at Sweethearts is in relation to Sweethearts Bar in Kings Cross Sydney which had a very interesting checkered past. I was in Sweethearts in the early hours of the morning in the late 80’s. Next thing we are all usher out and the police set up a crime scene, someone was discovered shot in the rest rooms apparently. Ah memories haha.

Breakfast At Sweethearts by Cold Chisel
Roadrunner14

• Posted: 04/01/2021 12:21
  • Post subject:
I am a big Black Stone Cherry fan and have all their albums that have been released on vinyl. I gravitate towards bands with a southern rock influence in their music and this band fits that bill for me. This 2020 release has no surprises from the previous albums, keeping to the same musical formula. It is just great rock and for fans this album does not disappoint.

The Human Condition by Black Stone Cherry