What's the best concert you've been to and the worst?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 03/10/2016 09:17
  • Post subject:
In 99 saw Grant McClennan and Robert Forster perform at a small venue in Melbourne as a duo with a back up band. It was 90 minutes of pop heaven with the cream of the Go Betweens catalogue along with a couple each of their finest solo tracks. I think only seeing the Beatles or the Smiths could have topped it. It was after these two gigs that they decided to reform the GoBetweens so I guess l witnessed a small piece of history. Closely followed by the Polyphonic Spree in 2005, almost a religious experience including a young St Vincent in it's choral. Smashing Pumpkins touring Siamese Dream were amazing with special mention to veterans Morrissey and Public Enemy touring in recent years.
  • Visit poster's website
Zombeels

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2016 07:13
  • Post subject:
I have 2 best Concerts. The Kinks back in 83. Almost 4 hours long and the energy Ray had was catching. Very good showmanship and he knows how to rev up an audience. The other concert was Robyn Hitchcock. Not just his great music but his rambling monologue was saturated with humour and some thoughtful stories.

Worst concert was Cat Power and Frog Eyes. A train wreck would have been better to watch.
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2016 17:32
  • Post subject:
Best concert: Slayer at 4th in B in San Diego in Nov 2003. Incredible energy, great crowd, and great setlist. The entire second half of their set was the full Reign in Blood album.

Worst concert:Bob Dylan at The Memorial Arena in Victoria Aug 1990. He seemed kind of drunk. Either way, he totally phoned it in. G.E. Smith was the guitarist on that tour, and Bob made him do all the heavy lifting. Bob would mumble a few verses and Smith would go into a 6 minute improvised solo. Not really a great selection of songs, either. Sadly, I've heard half-assed shows like this are not uncommon for Dylan.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 03/11/2016 19:08
  • Post subject:
BEST
Deltron 3030, Tragically Hip, Run The Jewels, Tyler the Creator, Action Bronson, Nas

WORST
Of all of the shows I've ever seen I can't think of one that has been bad.. Of course some weren't as crazy as others but none have ever been horrible to the extent I'd put it in a list like this.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/11/2016 20:54
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
Tyler the Creator

saw this dude live once and it was almost so bad it was good

almost
louisjwyatt

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2016 23:26
  • Post subject:
BEST

Motion City Soundtrack: 2015 (Commit This To Memory 15 Year Anniversary Tour - They played the entire album from front to back and nearly every person in the crowd knew every line. They just have really devoted fans, which makes their shows so energetic and fun.)

Soundgarden: Lollapalooza 2010 (Their second show after being broken up for 12 years)

Minus The Bear: Lollapalooza 2010 (Jake Snider, the lead vocalist, claimed they were on acid, and yet they were 100 percent in the zone.)

MGMT: Lollapalooza 2010 (Congratulations)

Rush: 2007? (Snakes and Arrows)

Motley Crue: 2014 Farewell Tour (Vince was singing over a prerecorded vocal track, which was pretty pathetic, but Alice Cooper opened for them and he was a lot of fun, even in his old age. He used the usual stage gimmicks, but you have to admire the theatrics involved in his performances.)

WORST

Avenged Sevenfold: 2008? (It was just before the Rev died and I'm assuming he had a significant drug and alcohol problem at the time. Anyway, Buck Cherry - a band I can and will not ever take seriously - opened for them, and when it came time for A7X there was a huge time delay until a local radio DJ came out and said they wouldn't be coming on due to an "illness in the band." They never really said what it was, but I always assumed the Rev was either too drunk to perform or just strung out on painkillers. Nevertheless, I had to sit through a second set from Buckcherry instead of seeing A7X, whom I liked quite a bit at the time. I ended up getting my money back, but I'm still pretty sad I never got to see The Rev before he died.)
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2016 03:18
  • Post subject:
louisjwyatt wrote:

Motion City Soundtrack: 2015 (Commit This To Memory 15 Year Anniversary Tour - They played the entire album from front to back and nearly every person in the crowd knew every line. They just have really devoted fans, which makes their shows so energetic and fun.)

Sad Sad Sad

I haven't caught them yet and probably won't be able to catch this farewell tour, don't know if you saw but they just announced they're breaking up

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2016 05:34
  • Post subject:
Seeing Rammstein live when I was 12 was pretty much the most amazing show for me. Those dudes put on a masterful show. Also Waits in about 2010 was special. And the police-stopped Ministry show was surreal. That was when I first braved the mosh pit and I was not ready. I got chicken pox the next day, my glasses broke, a 5'10 heavy set girl totally dominated me, and my sister left the show with a huge knot on her head from where Al Jurgenson (Ministry lead singer) smashed his boot on her head as he dived off the stage to fight a couple hecklers. Again, that was the most intense live performance I've seen. Then waiting outside the club for my mommy to pick us up as the cops came in and everyone was kicked out was awesome. It felt so punk rock. Maybe not the "best", but also kinda yeah.

Worst? Sadly the first that comes to mind is the Modest Mouse show last year. Everything about it, the crowd energy, the band, the set list, the sound quality, all was terrible. I hated that I had just wasted 3 hrs of my life in the endeavor.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
louisjwyatt

United States

• Posted: 03/12/2016 15:06
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:

I haven't caught them yet and probably won't be able to catch this farewell tour, don't know if you saw but they just announced they're breaking up

Yeah I saw that yesterday. It kind of seemed like something that was coming for a while now, but still pretty sad. If you do get the chance to see them, though, I strongly encourage you to. They're probably the most engaging band I've ever seen live.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/12/2016 17:22
  • Post subject:
BEST

This one:

Royal Albert Hall October 10, 1997 by Spiritualized

One of those 'I was there' moments. Spring Heel Jack opened, and from (my very hazy) memory they were fucking awesome. But Spacemen and co. blew the roof off - the 'Pure Phase' coda running through the whole thing, the gospel choir, the balloons falling down from the ceiling at the end. On our way out my mate Eilir and I bumped into Bobby Gillespie, whom we greeted only to be met with some incomprehensible Scottish rambling, doubtlessly fuelled by something not available at the choc-ice stand at the interval. Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago.

WORST

Loads to choose from, but has to be Animal Collective at Field Day 2013. Just saw Four Tet and was buzzing, then AC came on playing tracks from Centipede Hz which I'd previously seen them play live twice before (once in Eastbourne, 2011, and then again at The Roundhouse). It wasn't so much that they were awful, it was just that the sound was ATROCIOUS (whoever was behind the mixing desk must've still been tripping to Four Tet) and AnCo were blatantly just going through the motions. I'd seen Animal Collective 7 times before this gig and loved them to bits (in fact their gig at Camden's Koko c.MPP era would be in my top 3) - and I haven't seen them since.
  • Visit poster's website