Albums that changed your life the most?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir
  • Posted: 12/19/2013 20:11
  • Post subject:

Animals by Pink Floyd
My first album. Nothing more needs to be said.

Foxtrot by Genesis
This is definitely the most significant album as far as life-changing goes. It made me the music nerd that I am today. One of the first albums that I ever got absolutely addicted to. It influenced me greatly as a musician and a music listener. I've never listened to any other albums more times. There's a reason it's my username, you know.

Kid A by Radiohead
Kid A made me realize that it takes time to start liking certain albums. I actually kind of hated this one the very first time that I listened to it.

Funeral by Arcade Fire
This album made me realize that the music of today was great, too, even in this current year. It also influenced me to join BEA.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel
This album made me realize that music didn't have to be well-known or well-liked to actually be amazing. (It is well-known and well-liked here, but you know what I mean.) It also taught me that music can help you find parts of yourself that you didn't know were there.
camsh

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 12/22/2013 23:49
  • Post subject:
In chronological order...

Bad by Michael Jackson

The Wall by Pink Floyd

Abbey Road by The Beatles

Tommy by The Who

OK Computer by Radiohead

Quadrophenia by The Who

The Velvet Underground And Nico by The ...nderground

Costello Music by The Fratellis

England Keep My Bones by Frank Turner
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 12/22/2013 23:52
  • Post subject:

White Flame by Lil B
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 00:02
  • Post subject:

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd

And

Tommy by The Who

and

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth
Precedent
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 02:38
  • Post subject:

The Suburbs by Arcade Fire

Really got me into indie

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

Beautiful, emotional music. Helped me to get into hip-hop.

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends by Coldplay

Helped to keep me on the right path.

American Idiot by Green Day

One of the key albums that got me into music.

The Foundation by Zac Brown Band

Without this I'm not sure if I'd be into music as much as I am today. This somehow led to Arcade Fire which led me to a bulk of what I listen to today.

Bon Iver, Bon Iver by Bon Iver

One of the most comforting albums ever made. As simple as that. When I need to calm down, I put this on. Without this, who knows the things that I would've done
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 02:55
  • Post subject:
Thanks to Brandon, I think I now have to add another album to my list.

I Could Live In Hope by Low

I want to give it a little while, make sure I wasn't just exhausted and sick and that's the only reason I loved this. But it's made me start looking at the way I act differently.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 16:00
  • Post subject:
In personal chronological order:

For reference, I was born in 1969.

Seseme Street (1971). It could have been any record, but from the time I was old enough to understand what a record was, I've been fascinated by the idea that sound could be frozen on something solid. I'd imagine I could see the words of Cookie Monster on that vinyl disk.

Monkees Greatest Hits (1979). The first album that was actually mine.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1987), when Capitol started releasing the Beatles catalog on CD, a lot of my friends were very excited about it. I started discovering what an album could be.

Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast (1987). New age electronica, first instrumental music I ever got into.

Summertime Dream - Gordon Lightfoot (1988). One of the first albums that I bought for myself, and the first one I really got into, memorized, listened to over and over. I even bought the sheet music for some reason.

Weird Al In 3D (1988). I just couldn't believe how good the music was, and yet funny at the same time.

Time - Electric Light Orchestra (1989).
Introspective - Pet Shop Boys (1991)
MCMXC a.d. - Enigma (1991) These three were gifts from friends, albums I probably would not have discovered if not for them. I loved them (the albums) (also the friends in question).

The Beatles Catalog (1993)
The Moody Blues Catalog (1994). Devoured these, listened to them over and over, made lists of favorite tracks. Together they account for 14 of my 100.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (1995). Up until this point, I thought of albums as collections of songs. Dark Side of the Moon was the first one I heard that only worked as a single unbreakable unit. It redefined what an album was for me.

Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull (1996) First CD I bought, mainly because it was unavailable on cassette at the time.

The US Presidential election of 2000 changed my listening habits. When it ended in a tie, I started listening to news more than music. I became a news junkie. I got a job five minutes from my house, so I didn't have nearly as much time for listening, so I stopped. Then, in late 2007 I discovered Napster.

American Idiot (2008) In 2008 I started getting into music again, and started listening to songs from earlier years going backwards. One of the best discoveries was the trilogy of singles: Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, and American Idiot. I had to get the album.

The Stone Roses (2013). In July 2013, I did a google search for Best Albums List, and discovered this website. The skies opened, heavenly light came down, and angels were singing. It completely changed the way I was listening to music. The Stone Roses album represents all the great music I've discovered since joining this site.

2014: New years resolution: to listen to at least one 2014 album per week. 2013 I sort of treated like any other year, not unduly emphasizing recent stuff. I had a lot of catching up to do, but in 2014, I'm going to stay current with albums just like I've been keeping up with the hit singles.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
rayword45

United States
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 17:08
  • Post subject:
genesisfoxtrot21 wrote:

Kid A by Radiohead
Kid A made me realize that it takes time to start liking certain albums. I actually kind of hated this one the very first time that I listened to it.

If this one is life changing, then I must say this album for the same reason.

Yeah... I'm pretty new to the whole concept of multiple listens to appreciate something. Usually I judge things on first listen.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 17:32
  • Post subject:
I'm not convinced albums can 'change your life' - I couldn't honestly say anything I've heard has.

Music helps soundtracks important moments in your life.
  • Posted: 12/23/2013 17:34
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I'm not convinced albums can 'change your life' - I couldn't honestly say anything I've heard has.

Music helps soundtracks important moments in your life.

I think your description is more apt and more common (soundtracking important moments), though I'm positive music can change your life in minor ways...it can change your outlook, your perspective, your goals/hopes, etc.