Nah, this is lame.
15%
 15%  [6]
Total Votes : 40

Precedent
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 03:44
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
I think he's saying that these we'd only be seeing artists like the Beach Boys, Nick Drake, the Smiths, and other generic forum favorites.

This, basically.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 04:03
  • Post subject:
I actually had a dream about this last night. I dreamt that we had an actual induction ceremony for our first inductees. I don't remember all the details but John Fahey was inducted only he looked like someone else and he was credited as a member of some hard rock group. Also both David johanssen and Johnny thunders were up on stage from the ny dolls (and Johnny looked ghostly pale and stoned out of his mind. Pretty realistic actually if this ceremony had taken place in 79). And there was another woman inductee but I can't remember who. It was a black lady pop star - maybe missy Elliott or Nicki Minaj. And there were maybe 80 people there and there were some blokes totally booing and ridiculing the inductees while they were up our BEA stage we set up. Then I woke up and I saw the initial response Romanelli gave me and I was in a strangely annoyed mood about it already from the dream and that is when I said "still you.". Weird.

Honestly if the first inductees are Missy Elliott, Nicki Minaj, the NY Dolls and hard rock era John Fahey, then I'll be happy as hell!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Saoirse
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 07:28
  • Post subject:
I think we can agree everybody has the right to express their opinions, even if they may lean more towards the consistiently grouchy. And a slightly exaggerated contrary response is not a signal BEA is in a state of darkness and disary. If anything it's in one of it's more calm, peaceful eras... and sometimes just a little too peaceful, as activity has seemed to decrease recently. A tend towards arguing controversial topics in a reasonable manner could help give the forums a shot in the arm, though more arguments like these ("the other side is worse than me") doesn't help.

Anyhoos, I don't really see much of a point to a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I also don't see a problem with it either, so either ways it's all good (nothing to get pointlessly worked up about)
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 08:23
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
BEA is hands down the most welcoming, open, down to earth forum I've ever come across (And I've been on a fair few), I just can't understand why people would feel left out coming in to join here, BEA is generally welcoming to everyone and is a mix of people of all ages from so many different backgrounds. New users generally seem to settle here quickly from what I've seen. We genuinely have it so lucky here on BEA compared to the cesspools that quite a few other forums are.

BrandonMiaow wrote:
As for the thread, I'm apathetic towards the idea. Go for it, or don't. Not helpful is it? XD Figured I had to say something on-topic.

Goodsir wrote:
This site is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me, and that is no hyperbole. I've met some of my closest, most important friends here, and I'm really unsure what I'd be without this place. It bothers me to no end when I see someone feeling left out here because I hate it when people feel that way, since I felt that way throughout much of my childhood. And also because I just don't understand how someone could feel left out in a place like this. BEA has never made me feel left out once, and before I came here over a year ago, I had never felt this sense of community before, and even such a strong sense of family. Every other music forum that I've ever been on (and I mean every one) had some form of constant condescension or forum elite. Here, that's not even slightly apparent. If genesisfoxtrot21 had joined /mu/ or RateYourMusic first, he certainly wouldn't have stayed, and he also wouldn't be the person he is today either. It baffles me that you feel this way Romanelli, because I've never felt more warmth or comfort in this site right now than I ever have before. I feel a connection of some form with almost every regular member here, even the ones that have only just joined in 2014. I'm disappointed to see you go Romanelli, I honestly hope that you can come back here and see that whatever problems you had are solved.

Wanted to just post some quotes of why I love this site before leaving something else, quickly.

Roman, you're a great data mod and I'm sorry if I came across as hostile at all. Your original response felt hostile and while I understand you don't like the idea, it felt odd to make it out to be somehow harmful to you or others on the site. As others have said, it might not be a great idea for a few reasons, but it's not a requirement to participate. I really didn't mean anything by my post against you, I really respect your presence here and will miss you if you do decide to leave. I'll leave you with my message to you in the acting will I keep in my computer, which, for the record, I've not updated since August:

Benpaco's Will wrote:
Romanelli - I can’t say we always, or even usually, saw eye to eye. That said, you always acted in what you saw was the best interest of the site, and I genuinely appreciate all the hard work you put in.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41
  • Post subject:
What we need is for Defago to come back. He makes everybody look good by comparison.
camsh

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 15:22
  • Post subject:
From my time on BEA, I can say this. It is the most exclusive community I have ever been in. It seems to be only welcoming if you have certain albums on your chart, or if you like a certain style of music. It seems like a lot of the time, you're only interested in collecting statistics about music and the music you've listened to instead of actually enjoying it. I can't remember what forum it was, but I was insulted for disagreeing with someone's opinion. What BEA needs is to be truly open to everyone, and TOLERANCE. Tolerate people's different music tastes, different personalities. So what if someone's most favourite singer is James Otto? Does it truly matter if a chart is 50% hair-metal and dad-rock? Does it mean a chart is objectively shit if it has American Idiot in the top 3? Different opinions offer a wider range of discussion, not just a circle-jerk about Mark Kozelek's B-sides. Why don't we actually start actually behaving like human beings for a change?

Oh yeah, and that time that people genuinely looked down on me when I had an MLP signature. It's. A. TV. Show. No different to a Breaking Bad sig.
goeie-oko

Netherlands
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 15:28
  • Post subject:
Why did this forum go from a contest for the best album and artist to a discussion if this site's community is any good?
Can't we talk about the rock and roll hall of fame idea instead?
  • Visit poster's website
camsh

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 15:29
  • Post subject:
goeie-oko wrote:
Why did this forum go from a contest for the best album and artist to a discussion if this site's community is any good?
Can't we talk about the rock and roll hall of fame idea instead?

Sorry for going off topic, just thought I'd throw my two cents in there while the topic was still hot.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 15:48
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
What we need is for Defago to come back. He makes everybody look good by comparison.

Fuck ever happened to that guy anyway?
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia
  • Posted: 12/21/2014 16:13
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
Fuck ever happened to that guy anyway?

What happens to everybody on study exchange programs in Europe. He probably doesn't know what day of the week it is, nevermind find his way on BEA.
  • Visit poster's website