What album was the biggest disappointment to you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2017 22:52
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Initially, it was Rush/Signals. However, over the years, I came to understand what a brilliant album it is despite the change in sound that first turned me off.

It's hard to say what my biggest disappointment that remains disappointing is. Off the top of my head, I'd probably have to go iwith Led Zeppelin/In Through the Out Door or Rush/Counterparts with (dis)honorable mention to The Who/It's Hard.

In through the out door has to be one of the top 10 disappointments of all time, and I could imagine the Whos fans feeling the same way about it's hard. But then, they felt that way about face dances, .which I actually LIKE.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2017 23:06
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Initially, it was Rush/Signals. However, over the years, I came to understand what a brilliant album it is despite the change in sound that first turned me off.

It's hard to say what my biggest disappointment that remains disappointing is. Off the top of my head, I'd probably have to go with Led Zeppelin/In Through the Out Door or Rush/Counterparts with (dis)honorable mention to The Who/It's Hard.

I almost forgot about Eminence Front and the title song on It's hard. I really like those. those two kind of made it worthwhile for me. So i would have to say Who Are You is the Who's biggest disappointment
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 01:42
  • Post subject:
My choices are limited since I've only been listening to new music for a few years - I'm defining "disappointing" as applying to an album I was anticipating being released, not an album I'd heard a lot about and finally listened to. This is probably the biggest one for me though; after Acid Rap I became a huge Chance fan but this one feels so flat and lackluster in comparison. I know a lot of people like it but I can't get into it.

Coloring Book by Chance The Rapper
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 04:00
  • Post subject:

The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
after funeral and neon bible, i thought arcade fire was the next smiths/echo&thebunnymen/sonicyouth/radiohead/etc. band that was going to "save rock 'n roll". i was young and silly(er) at that time. with this album, they said, "nah man. we're just run of the mill easy listening with a dash of clever"

X&Y by Coldplay
*see arcade fire comments but too a lesser degree with coldplay. even before this, i wasn't too fond of chris martin's voice, and the guitars were always a bit to cheery for my taste, but still, this was a promising band once upon a time.

Centipede Hz by Animal Collective
i relistened to this recently after a fellow disillusioned ex-anco fan suggested it, and it's not half as bad as i remember. it's not groundbreaking, but it's nothing to be disappointed in. a decent record from a band i used to idolize.

BUT NOTHING was so great a letdown as:

Red by gUiLLeMoTs
this band. this band with their first two EPs and the full-length debut. with this eccentric group of musicians (a beautiful jazz stand-up bassist with a love of mingus and a voice to boot ;;;; a former metalhead and experimental street guitarist from brazil who spends his non-music time making artsy short films ;;; a drummer with a passion for the blues and a sick, thick scottish accent that will roll you like a ******** ;;; AND FYFE > this guy a genius who composed symphonic movements, directing children's choirs and orchestras and playing in free jazz outfit GANNETS) was friggin dynamite. they did something that blew my little music world apart.

and then.... and then they followed up the greatest of promises with typical britpop. there are maybe four treasures on this album, but most of it teeters between lame and obnoxious. a cliche. this is the single greatest disappointment for me in my music years.

and ... i still believe in these musicians. apparently, the "new record" they were working on at the time they disbanded was actually really good .... best thing they'd done since the first one. fyfe insists it is/was better.

Last edited by craola on 08/10/2017 19:14; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/10/2017 09:29
  • Post subject:
Agreed about X&Y, it's a decent album but miles below the first two.
Viva La Vida was awesome though.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/10/2017 09:55
  • Post subject:
The one that springs to mind now is Around the World in a Day by Prince, the follow up to Purple Rain. I blame that album for stopping me from listening to Prince albums (by listening I mean buying, really. There was no internet in those days so if you wanted to hear an album basically you had to buy it).

I missed some amazing Prince albums that followed as it turned out.

A huge disappointment, that one.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 10:16
  • Post subject:
neilgee wrote:
The one that springs to mind now is Around the World in a Day by Prince, the follow up to Purple Rain. I blame that album for stopping me from listening to Prince albums (by listening I mean buying, really. There was no internet in those days so if you wanted to hear an album basically you had to buy it).

I missed some amazing Prince albums that followed as it turned out.

A huge disappointment, that one.

Well, at least you went two albums farther than I did. He lost me after the 1999 single, it was all downhill after that.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 08/10/2017 11:39
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:

It's hard to say what my biggest disappointment that remains disappointing is. Off the top of my head, I'd probably have to go with Led Zeppelin/In Through the Out Door

For me it was Rush's Power Windows when I finally stopped listening to Rush. It was a all downhill it seemed after Moving Pictures after the mini disappointments of Signals & Grace Under Pressure.

You are totally right about In Through The Out Door!!! Coda kicks its ass! lol. It's very sad seeing the almighty Zepp being so frickin' cheesy, but let's be hones, we always knew Plant had it in him. Thank God Page reigned him in for so long! lol[/quote]
  • Visit poster's website
Johnnyo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/10/2017 11:58
  • Post subject:
For me it's the new Dan Auerbach album, Waiting on a song.

Absolutely loved Keep It Hid and the new album just isn't doing it for me at all.

Am I missing something?
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 08/10/2017 18:16
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:
Agreed about X&Y, it's a decent album but miles below the first two.
Viva La Vida was awesome though.

I find you guys a bit fussy on this one Surprised So many huge songs on this great LP !
  • Visit poster's website